Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 22nd Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 29Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    'The Ordinary' skincare products
    • 22nd Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    'The Ordinary' skincare products 22nd Feb 18 at 3:22 PM
    Hi everyone!

So lately I've been looking to expand by skincare routine as I've noticed my skin gets drier than it used to and I have slight hyperpigmentation so I thought I'd start taking better care of it!

Now recently, a few people have recommended skincare products from 'The Ordinary' to me and have said that they work very well. One of my friends uses one of their Retinoid products and the "Buffet" serum and swears by them both. However, I mentioned the brand to another person I know and she said although the products are cheap, they are not worth it.

So I was wondering, have any of you had any experience with the brand or any specific products you would recommend to a friend, or any that haven't worked for you?
Page 2
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 28th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    BorisThomson, I think that my friend used about 2 of their products and she didn't see the results she wanted so she now just says they aren't good! In my opinion, her expectations were just too high! I'll give the products a go, I hear more positive feedback than negative.
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 28th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Thank you juliettet, I have dry skin (especially in these winter months) so I'll take a look at those products if they've helped you with dryness!
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 28th Feb 18, 2:28 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Thank you Caroline Parker! I'll give that home remedy a go while I wait for my retinol, etc. to arrive!
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 28th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Wow, Kim kim you definitely are a fan! That's very promising.. would you recommend all of those products you have tried from The Ordinary?
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 28th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Thank you jenniewb that was very helpful! I'll definitely do my research as I want the products all to be used as effectively as possible. I think it was actually the Ferulic acid that my friend used and didn't really like, so maybe it's just that product!
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 28th Feb 18, 2:48 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    suki1964 your skin sounds similar to mine as I suffer with a very dry t-zone, but it sounds like your flakiness might be a little more than mine. I hope the products you ordered work for you! However, I did read that lactic acid shouldn't be used on sensitive/peeling skin, though I have heard people rave about the Buffet product!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 1st Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,459 Thanks
    suki1964
    Well it all arrived today

The primer is lovely, now I have only tried it on my hand, but my hand feels like silk and looks a lot younger then my other one

The foundation seems to be a good match, but Im waiting till the weekend when Im home in the light to give that a try. On the hand it went on ok and looks alright, hasn't darkened

The unfortunate thing is the bottle pump dispenser isn't working

Ive plasted the Buffet on. Well no, A few drops Its very tacky going on but absorbed fast enough

The lactic acid Ive only applied to my forehead

Poppy, I have sebhorreic Dermatitis. It does resemble Rosacea in that I have what looks like a butterfly of redness but its a fungal disease. Its got a lot better since I stopped colouring my hair, but I work in extreme temps so its a pain to keep under control

Anyway, no stinging or redness so I shall keep up the routine and see if my complexion improves

Im not looking a miracle , just want to look a bit brighter and fresher
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 2nd Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    suejb2
    The Ordinary
    Suki may I ask where you bought it? It seems out of stock whichever site I look on, thanks.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 2nd Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,459 Thanks
    suki1964
    Cult Beauty

Never heard of it before but they dispatched quickly
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 2nd Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    suejb2
    The Ordinary
    Cult Beauty

Never heard of it before but they dispatched quickly
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Just found www.justmylook.co.uk
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Mar 18, 12:39 AM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,459 Thanks
    suki1964
    Ok, early days, but OMG Im seeing a difference already

Very very little flakiness left now, just around the top of my nose, between the eyebrows, and a little in the eyebrows

Redness has reduced dramatically. No longer across my cheeks as much or as dark, just around the nose and chin

Face feels smoother to the touch if thats at all possible

Thats using The Buffet and The Lactic Acid. I will be extending the acid to nose and chin from tomorrow seeing Ive had no irritation

Today I used the primer and foundation

Primer is lovely. goes on quickly and dries quickly

The foundation is The Coverage in 1.2p. Im a medium skin tone with yellow undertones and this is a very good match, one of the best Ive bought, but there again Ive not bought foundation for years because of the mess my skin has been. The last liquid foundation I wore was Double Wear and since then Ive used mineral foundations until the past couple of years

So, foundation, found I had to work pretty quick to blend it in, but then my brush isn't the best. It did blend in well and I easily added layers and it didn't look cakey at all. Looking up real close in my superdooper x10 magnifying mirror and my glasses there were some flaky areas but not visible to the naked eye. Well certainly not enough for me to think what a mess and clean it all off. Felt really natural on my face, no irritation, no smell.

Went out and about and I did get some shine on the tzone but I hadn't used a powder as I wanted to see how well it lasted on its own. Cleaned it off after about 10 hours and pleased to say it had stayed put

Early days, but for now Im happy. If this improvement keeps up, I shall be ordering the retinol as well
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,467 Posts
    • 31,791 Thanks
    maddiemay
    suki1964 - that is great news.

I have been genetically blessed with good skin and received compliments all my life, I appreciate my good luck. I am a skin care junkie and at my advanced age feel I need to use many products to maintain good skin, but the thing that made a huge difference is double cleansing with some form of hot cloth removal.

I have been battling ill health for about 5 years, which has been ageing, but the money I no longer spend on hobbies and interests is well spent on my skin care, as I use things up I will try some of The Ordinary range to see what might work for me.

Look forward to further reports if you feel able.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,459 Thanks
    suki1964
    Maddie, I've used hot cloth cleansing for must be coming on for 20 years

I've tried so many, always gone back to Liz Earle as it has been the only one I've never reacted to

As a teen and younger woman my face was an oil slick, seriously I could produce enough oil to keep a small country heated. But back in the 70/80's skincare was so much harsher. Don't think people realised the more drying a product the more oil produced. It was using Liz Earle that made my skin so much better. Then I heard about the oil cleansing, started that and wow, my oil production really eased up

However the Seb Derm has been the bane of my life. It really got bad in my 40's. So many doctors were treating me for roseacea which wasn't helping at all. I finally got a referral to a dermatologist when one morning I woke and it looked like I had been in a fire and insisted I saw a doctor that morning so they could see it was no trivial matter

The steroid does help, but that thins the skin causing the skin to tear so I use it very sparingly. Funnily enough the thing that has improved matters the most up to this point has been no longer colouring my hair

I'm glad you liked my review. As I say I'm no expert in skin care or modern products so The Ordinary may not be that special at all compared to what else is out there, but for the price it may just be worth a try

The best bit so far is my face isn't sore getting out of the shower. Up until this week I've had to slap on the moisturiser the minute I've got out else my face would just tighten and the skin would crust across my eyebrows and chin, that's not happening

One other thing I have to mention which makes my skin go haywire, is that for the past ten years I've worked in extremes of tempetures. Until recently I was a chef and believe me, the heat in a kitchen would knock you out. Since my health has deteriorated I can no longer safely work in a kitchen so now I work in a vegetable processing plant. That's unheated ( been minus in there most of this winter) and it's a very wet atmosphere. My poor face has really taken a battering
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 4th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I!!!8217;m becomming addicted! These are my purchases so far.

NIOD
    sanskrit saponins
    myrrh clay
    copper amino isolate serum 2:1
    multi-molecular hyaluronic complex
    hydration vaccine

HYLAMIDE
    high efficiency face cleaner
    booster, glow
    booster, low-molecular ha
    booster, sensitive
    ha blur

THE ORDINARY
    aha 30% + bha 2% peeling solution
    alpha lipoic acid 5%
    Buffet
    caffeine solution 5% + egcg
    high-adherence silicone primer
    high-spreadability fluid primer

THE CHEMISTRY BRAND
    hand chemistry
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 6th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Wow suki1964, that's great that the products are working so well for you and so fast as well! I am definitely going to purchase the Buffet as several people have recommended it and I might actually try the primer now too! Thank you!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 6th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 29,459 Thanks
    suki1964
    Definitely try the buffet. It's cheap enough that if you don't get fantastic results, no harm done

For me it's working well

No visible flakiness, no tight skin, face feels smooth and looks plumper, not from weight gain

Seriously I used to come in from work and jump in the shower and my hands dragged across my face, now they glide

I did notice a bit of a sting from the acid last night but can't see any damage so I'll use it again tonight
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 6th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Definitely try the buffet. It's cheap enough that if you don't get fantastic results, no harm done

For me it's working well

No visible flakiness, no tight skin, face feels smooth and looks plumper, not from weight gain

Seriously I used to come in from work and jump in the shower and my hands dragged across my face, now they glide

I did notice a bit of a sting from the acid last night but can't see any damage so I'll use it again tonight
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I love the buffet and the caffeine and niod Sanskrit sapions.
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 7th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    If it even slightly helps my dry skin I will be pleased!!
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 7th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Do you use the caffeine solution around your eyes Kim kim ?
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 7th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Do you use the caffeine solution around your eyes Kim kim ?
    Originally posted by PoppyTaylor
    Yes, generously around. All over the lid, right up over the brows. Under the eyes and out to the upper cheekbones.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin