Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 22nd Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    • 730Posts
    • 1,016Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Post Office Online Saver....here goes!!
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    Post Office Online Saver....here goes!! 22nd Feb 18 at 6:48 AM
    Well, yesterday I opened one of these, despite the negative comments on here. So lets see how it goes. I've only asked for an initial deposit of 5, and 10 p/m DD after that.

All seemed very straight forward on their web-site, so will see what happens next!!

I don't plan on accessing my money just yet, so the 8 day rule isn't an issue.

I've got Issue 29, and I understand that I can also open an Issue 30 once it is launched, correct??

Will let you know what "experiences" I have. Hopefully all good!!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
Page 3
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 8th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    The whole process is more sluggish than a slug!!! That's for sure.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 9th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I have successfully managed to withdraw my original money, leaving a 1 balance. It took to the next working day, but I have it!!! So no black-holes here.....yet!!!
    • SuperSaverSmith
    • By SuperSaverSmith 10th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    SuperSaverSmith
    I already have a couple of Online Saver different issues, I've tried maybe 4-5 times now to open another sole account but I just get 'we will make some account opening checks and be in touch' message.

I then get an email instantly to confirm the same.

Is anyone else getting this ?! I've waited about 3 weeks now without a peep!
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 24th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    New Style Web-page!!
    PO appear to have a "swanky" new web-site....which is not quite working properly!!!!

It shows the balance of my 2 accounts correctly, but when I go into either of them...it's not showing any transaction details, and when I go to "move money", I get a blank screen.

Hopefully these gremlins will get ironed out over the next few days. I'm not too worried yet, as I don't need to make a withdrawal at the moment.

Be interested in what experiences other have with it.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 24th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    It's working fine for me. You might want to try it on a different browser.

I had a little chuckle to myself that in move money it encourages you to set up a SO for your deposit, rather than DD as "it's much quicker".
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • arsenalboy
    • By arsenalboy 25th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    arsenalboy
    Am having trouble!

Opened the online saver, no problems, as I already had an account.

Set up a linked account which is M and S to generate a DD for RSA purposes, again no problems.

Then actually tried to set up the DD and it has thrown me into a loop i.e., I put the details in and press "next" but it holds the current screen with a message along the lines of "you might want to consider a standing order instead because it takes less days to set up".
    I press "next" again but seem to stay in the loop?

How do I get past this, there seems no way forward?
    Last edited by arsenalboy; 25-03-2018 at 3:23 PM.
    • SeeMe
    • By SeeMe 25th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    SeeMe
    I can't login at present "problems with the site"
    • keiran
    • By keiran 26th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    keiran
    Same problem here

When I try to set up a direct debit mandate I get :=
    ""Wait, how about setting up your deposit via Standing Order, it!!!8217;s much quicker. Direct Debit can take up to 14 days to set up or amend. You can arrange your own payments (typically via Online Banking) in an instant using the account number and sort code of this Savings account. Any regular deposits must come from your linked account.""

So I press "next", hoping that that notice is merely advisory, but it just keeps reverting to the same page

I did telephone PO over the weekend, and they said they'd look into it....
    Not holding my breath as the lady I spoke to didn't seem to think that direct debits could be set up on the account...( even though they have been successfully on 2 of the other PO accounts)
    • arsenalboy
    • By arsenalboy 26th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    arsenalboy
    Same problem here

When I try to set up a direct debit mandate I get :=
    ""Wait, how about setting up your deposit via Standing Order, it!!!8217;s much quicker. Direct Debit can take up to 14 days to set up or amend. You can arrange your own payments (typically via Online Banking) in an instant using the account number and sort code of this Savings account. Any regular deposits must come from your linked account.""

So I press "next", hoping that that notice is merely advisory, but it just keeps reverting to the same page

I did telephone PO over the weekend, and they said they'd look into it....
    Not holding my breath as the lady I spoke to didn't seem to think that direct debits could be set up on the account...( even though they have been successfully on 2 of the other PO accounts)
    Originally posted by keiran
    Well that confirms I wasn't doing anything wrong!

I wonder if they have twigged that everybody is opening them just for the DD facility and have amended that aspect?
    • C J
    • By C J 27th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    C J
    I have just logged into my shiny new Post Office account to set up the DD needed for one of my bank accounts, and also got the message about "have you thought about a standing order instead?" but it then allowed me to set up a regular payment in from my linked bank account.

There is nowhere on the site to check now whether this is a direct debit or a standing order. Or am I not looking in the right place?
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 27th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    There is nowhere on the site to check now whether this is a direct debit or a standing order. Or am I not looking in the right place?
    Originally posted by C J
    Next to the interest rate are three horizontal dots. Click on there and a drop down will appear. One of the options is for direct debits. From here you can see what DDs are set up and edit/cancel them.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • C J
    • By C J 27th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    C J
    Yay, found it! Thank you very much AirlieBird - I hadn't even spotted those three little dots.

It has the DD there, whew! Setting up the PO Saver wasn't all that painful really, and it has filled the last hole filled by the Tesco DDs being cancelled next month. Thanks very much to everyone on this site who provided ideas for replacing the Tesco ones, it was much appreciated.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 27th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    youngretired
    I've managed to set up a DD today on my new Post Office without any problems. Thanks AirlieBird for pointing out how to find info on existing DD's, I tried everything apart from the 3 dots in the circle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin