Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 22nd Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    • 723Posts
    • 1,010Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Post Office Online Saver....here goes!!
    • 22nd Feb 18, 6:48 AM
    Post Office Online Saver....here goes!! 22nd Feb 18 at 6:48 AM
    Well, yesterday I opened one of these, despite the negative comments on here. So lets see how it goes. I've only asked for an initial deposit of £5, and £10 p/m DD after that.

All seemed very straight forward on their web-site, so will see what happens next!!

I don't plan on accessing my money just yet, so the 8 day rule isn't an issue.

I've got Issue 29, and I understand that I can also open an Issue 30 once it is launched, correct??

Will let you know what "experiences" I have. Hopefully all good!!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
Page 2
    • planteria
    • By planteria 3rd Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    planteria
    Is it best to be logged in when you apply for additional accounts, or not. If not, do they link your accounts easily?
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    other people have told me that they applied easily when online, but when i opened my second account the other week it told me that I needed to proceed to log out to do so.. which I did, despite it not feeling right, and the account opened and linked to the other with the same login no problem. the only thing is that 'Issue 29' actually appears as though it is a Second Issue 28.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 4th Mar 18, 12:35 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    hoc
    Try taking money out. Post Office accounts are a black hole, money goes in, doesn't come out...until you send them a letter.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 4th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Try taking money out. Post Office accounts are a black hole, money goes in, doesn't come out...until you send them a letter.
    Originally posted by hoc
    Yeah, i'd read they'd been problems....that's why at the moment, once my regular DD goes in on the 7th...i'll have £15 "at Risk". I'll leave it for a few days and then try and make a withdrawal, and see what happens.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 4th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 40,512 Thanks
    Gers
    So far all’s been good with the opening process. First payment is showing online and the DD also set up in the nominated account.

I only needed one account so won’t be taking money out for a good while, perhaps they’ll have got withdrawal sorted by then.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 4th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep
    After reading on here about withdrawal problems I thought I'd better check...

Did a £1 withdrawal on 19th February from a couple of our P.O. Online Saver a/cs. Money was cleared in the respective current a/cs on 20th.

The P.O. accounts had been open a while with DD deposits already taken so didn't fall foul of trying to make withdrawals too early.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 4th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Thanks Clive, good to know!

My initial £5 is not showing as "available funds" yet - the 8 day rule applying I guess.
    • keiran
    • By keiran 4th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    keiran
    I've been trying to open an issue 29 for the last four days. After laboriously filling in the form with all the details and clicking "submit" I get a page saying there are technical difficulties and to try in a few hours.

I've cleared cookies, tried different browsers, etc

Are other people getting this, and any ideas on how to get round it?
    Thanks
    • ab56
    • By ab56 4th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ab56
    Quoting Keiran's post
    "I've been trying to open an issue 29 for the last four days. After laboriously filling in the form with all the details and clicking "submit" I get a page saying there are technical difficulties and to try in a few hours.

I've cleared cookies, tried different browsers, etc

Are other people getting this, and any ideas on how to get round it?
    Thanks "

I have had the same problem and telephoned them twice with no remedy. However have since managed to open an issue 29 (sole) account. Have also tried to open a joint account and get the 'technical difficulties' message. Rather laborious exercise after entering all the info and getting no where in end.

Looking forward to remedy to situation?
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 4th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Luckily, I didn't have any problems opening, used Microsoft Edge browser.
    • pwhitf
    • By pwhitf 4th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    pwhitf
    I have tried everyday for over a week to open one of these accounts but each time after entering all details, I get a 'technical problem' error.

I have rang customer support twice - first time I got told to use internet explorer as there were no problems at their end. I have tried firefox, chrome and edge without any luck and as far as I am aware edge has superceded explorer on windws 10 and IE is not installed anymore.

2nd time I rang was told they were working on website and it would be up and running soon. That was 7 days ago.

I tried their web feedback form on Wednesday but so far have had no reply.

If any of the succesful people can let me know the secret to opening this account I would appreciate it, but as things stand I will not be trusting them with any of my money

Is there a limit to how many they will open per day and you have to try early in the morning?
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 4th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Perhaps everyone's left it until the last minute to obtain some new direct debits before Tesco stop theirs, and the Post Office cannot cope with the demand
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • claire07
    • By claire07 5th Mar 18, 4:46 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    claire07
    I must have been lucky as I confess I was one of those who left it till the last minute to open this as I was wary after hearing all the negative reports but was running out of possible direct debits.

Like others I kept getting the "technical difficulties" message but eventually it went through and I've received confirmation it has been opened.
    Last edited by claire07; 05-03-2018 at 4:47 AM. Reason: spacing
    • clivep
    • By clivep 5th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep
    I was trying for a week in January to open a 3rd account and getting the "technical difficulties" message every time. In the end I phones them and they informed me that my account was blocked. They said this was due to a problem with the TSB DD on one of my 2 a/cs. I confirmed the details they held were correct (deposits had already been taken using this mandate!) and they unblocked the account.

I was then able to open a new Online Saver a/c online without error.
    • keiran
    • By keiran 5th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    keiran
    Quick update re opening 2nd PO account

For those who continue to get the "technical difficulties" page -

I telephoned them on 0800 169 7500 and spoke to a very helpful lady.

She took a few details and told me that they'd take £1 from the Issue 28 to create an Issue 29, which would then appear in my online account in a couple of days

Fingers crossed...
    • clivep
    • By clivep 6th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep

She took a few details and told me that they'd take £1 from the Issue 28 to create an Issue 29, which would then appear in my online account in a couple of days

Fingers crossed...
    Originally posted by keiran
    Just heed a warning about what can result from a conversation with one of their "helpful ladies"...

When calling in early January and getting my a/c unblocked, none of my sole applications that fell foul of their "technical difficulties" showed up but she found the blocked joint one I had attempted and continued with the opening process. For this she was instructed to take £1 from one of my wife's issue 26 a/cs but not to close this a/c.

The new joint a/c didn't show up online and the £1 wasn't taken. However, the DD for her issue 26 a/c didn't get taken in January (losing the £5 TSB bonus) and it transpired the mandate had been cancelled.

The joint a/c finally got opened a month later and we also had a letter confirming the a/c closure for her issue 26 a/c. The a/c had not actually been closed though and they confirmed on the phone that the letter was a mistake and the a/c was not being closed. However, they had no explanation for why the DD had been cancelled.

Trying to get the TSB DD resurrected turned into a farce with the result of what their helpful staff did actually cancelling the mandates with the banks for all her PO Online Saver a/cs (although at the P.O. end they were still showing as the nominated a/cs with active regular deposits still in place!!!).

I would advise you to keep a very close eye on the status of your DDs at both the PO and bank ends following any call to them. I've moved the DDs for all our P.O. a/cs to the beginning of the month to allow them to be set up again if they fail to get taken.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 6th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    youngretired
    Spoke to the Post Office today because having the same technical error message and they have said that they are working on it and to try in 48hrs.
    • keiran
    • By keiran 7th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    keiran

Fingers crossed...
    Well today I got a phone call from Post Office Savings.

It seems that my multiple attempts over several days to open another account (where I got the "technical difficulties" page on clicking "submit" every time) had been received by them! ( though of course I would be completely unaware of this).

The lady confirmed that there was no limit on how many Issue 29, etc, one could open.
    I elected for 3 only. She gave me the numbers and asked me to send cheques for the opening deposits, confirming that the new accounts would be added to my existing log-in details and that I could change the nominated current account for each one, without having to send in a cheque for the new current account

Fingers crossed
    • SeeMe
    • By SeeMe 7th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    SeeMe

The lady confirmed that there was no limit on how many Issue 29, etc, one could open.
    and that I could change the nominated current account for each one, without having to send in a cheque for the new current account

Fingers crossed
    So if you have 3 you can have a DD for 3 different nominated accounts, ie one for lloyds, bos,santander,
    • keiran
    • By keiran 7th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    keiran
    Yes! that's right
    • pafpcg
    • By pafpcg 8th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    pafpcg
    Here's my experience with using Post Office Savers to generate Direct Debits.

Now that my partner and I have each added Issue28 and Issue29 accounts, we have a handful of Saver accounts and the monthly process of taking direct debits has started. There have been no disasters or failures so far, but it's been arduous...

The web-site is slow (select an item on the web-page then wait a couple of seconds for it to refresh, then select an entry on a dropdown list and wait again, but NEVER try to anticipate it - you'll just have to restart to whole sequence again). The process of transferring funds is cumbersome (it demands digits from the security code number even for inter-account transfers).

But what I find most frustrating is the leisurely pace of the financial processes. It takes a day for a direct debit to appear in the account (and start to earn interest) but despite the FAQ saying DD funds will be available in three days, it's four days in practice. So a DD taken on a Monday will be credited on Tuesday and can be transferred out on Friday. The transfer-out will debit the account immediately but won't be actioned until the following business day. Effectively, it will be over a week before DD funds can be redeployed. Which starkly contrasts with the Tesco operation where a DD taken from an account will be credited within hours, can be transferred out immediately and credited to an external account all on the same day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin