Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catowner123
    • By catowner123 20th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    catowner123
    Indoor Cat help required
    • 20th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    Indoor Cat help required 20th Feb 18 at 3:35 PM
    Hi everyone

I have a 11 month female cat (sprayed, healthy, half tabby/half Bengal) who has been an indoor cat all her life.

She has entire run of the house (4 bed house) with access to many toys, food, water, plenty of windows/blankets/sofas, 2 cat trees and basically her own conservatory type room with a big window and ledge facing the back garden which is quite green with birds to watch. We take her out on a lead now and again or just carry her outside every other day for some air.

Very recently we have noticed she is meowing more and it seems like she is bored or wants to go out. We really donít want to make her outdoor (we have gone over the pros and cons) and would like to keep her indoor however now starting to think we are making it worse for her. We have been home more recently and hence played more and taken her out more but now back at work so I think she is annoyed it has reduced again.

Do you have any advice?
    1. Shall we just be persist and hopefully she gets that sheís indoor and outdoor is only at times with us as much as we can? How do you really know if keeping her indoor is best for the cat?
    2. Has anyone used a cat run before and did it work? I donít want to buy one for her to get bored of it.
    3. She is really attached to us (esp me) to the point we feel bad leaving the house, ie to go the gym in the evening or seeing friends on weekends. I feel this is excessively by us but we feel so bad as she gets excited when we return like she really missed us.

Would really appreciate advice/common stories with solutions that worked.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 20th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 5,498 Posts
    • 11,446 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:32 PM
    Hi everyone

I have a 11 month female cat (sprayed, healthy, half tabby/half Bengal) who has been an indoor cat all her life.

She has entire run of the house (4 bed house) with access to many toys, food, water, plenty of windows/blankets/sofas, 2 cat trees and basically her own conservatory type room with a big window and ledge facing the back garden which is quite green with birds to watch. We take her out on a lead now and again or just carry her outside every other day for some air.

Very recently we have noticed she is meowing more and it seems like she is bored or wants to go out. We really donít want to make her outdoor (we have gone over the pros and cons) and would like to keep her indoor however now starting to think we are making it worse for her. We have been home more recently and hence played more and taken her out more but now back at work so I think she is annoyed it has reduced again.

Do you have any advice?
    1. Shall we just be persist and hopefully she gets that sheís indoor and outdoor is only at times with us as much as we can? How do you really know if keeping her indoor is best for the cat?
    2. Has anyone used a cat run before and did it work? I donít want to buy one for her to get bored of it.
    3. She is really attached to us (esp me) to the point we feel bad leaving the house, ie to go the gym in the evening or seeing friends on weekends. I feel this is excessively by us but we feel so bad as she gets excited when we return like she really missed us.

Would really appreciate advice/common stories with solutions that worked.
    Originally posted by catowner123
    1. Cats want to be where theyre not allowed. Mine hate a closed door. If Im on the loo, they want in. One of mine even likes to paw the wardrobe door as if something exciting is in there. You cat does not 'want to go outside' it doesnt know what outside is. It wants to go through the door you dont let it out of...

I keep mine indoors because of a few reasons, traffic, nasty things left about in garages etc, fear of them getting stolen/lost. We don't let any other domesticated animals roam so I never understood why people get so hung up on cats staying indoors. We don't let our dogs or rabbits or hamsters roam free because they would in the wild.

2. A cat run would simply extend her space, its a personal choice.

3. I guarantee you 99% of the time you are out shes asleep. She isnt walking around worried youre not there. She is excited when you come in because you mean food, treats, cuddles. She doesnt need that 99% of the time. You are worrying over nothing, and of course you should go out and live as normal. Its not a baby, its a cat My cats go wild when I get home, because they want feeding, nothing more :P
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 20th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    1. Cats want to be where they're not allowed. Mine hate a closed door. If Im on the loo, they want in.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Even with the back door wide open, mine refuses to go out - It is her choice to live the life of an indoor cat...

Why is it cats want to be in the bathroom when one is on the loo.?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 20th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    My cat is an indoor cat because he is FiV. He hangs round the front door and has been known to dive out if I am not quick enough. Once out he looks bemused and sits down.

I have a low window in my front door. After I have shut the door and turn round to lock it he has his paws on this window meowing at me. I have come to the conclusion that a) he just wants to go through the door and b) he wants to be with me.

He turns up when I come home but he comes down the stairs so I think he has been asleep upstairs. I have a cleaner who comes in once a week and she says that is where he normally is.

As said above cats sleep a lot of the time. He does follow me round the house, though! Everywhere...
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 20th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Trina90
    • 20th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    Have you considered another cat? I have 2 housecats. The main decision for them to be indoor being their breed - they're Ragdolls. Ragdolls don't fare well if let out (very dopey, not streetwise.. hence their breed name!). But I would feel real bad for them if they were alone. They keep themselves entertained and amused, and cuddle up together after.

Another thing.. have you seen the cat-proof fences you can get? I think there's a company called Katsecure that do them.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000
    2016: £130,000
    Currently: £116,000
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 20th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 20th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    Mine chases me into the bathroom on a morning so he doesn't get shut out!

I'd have thought taking her out would make it worse. I'd just stop taking her out on her lead or otherwise. When ours was an indoor cat and we let him have 5 mins in the garden he always complained to get back out so we stopped letting him out at all and he gave up on it. He's allowed out now though so when we move there is no putting that genie back in the bottle.
    • catowner123
    • By catowner123 20th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    catowner123
    • 20th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    Great replies all.

- fencing: did think about this but just not feasible in our garden
    - 2nd cat: again we thought about this but given she is 1yr almost it might be too late to introduce a second cat? I also read high chance a second cat wouldnít get along with first so actually we just times our issues by 2....
    - good point on not letting her out at all: she seems to go through phases of wanting to go out (like now when she enjoyed being out on lead) and not (times when something scared her outside when on lead). I was just hoping she would realise we are trying to help her by giving her outside time but itís really just making it hard for us to keep her indoor.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 20th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 20th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    I have mostly had two cats from when I started living on my own (before that, with my ex, we had a houseful). It was because I worked and I thought they would be company for each other. And, selfishly I guess, it meant if one died there was still another around.

That went well until I got current cat. He is definitely a one person one cat, cat. I did have another one with him for a while after his previous companion died but he did not like it one bit. For a big bruiser with battered ears he is a wuss and she (lovely cat that she was) pushed him around and he ended up a bit miserable.

I am all for two cats but you do have to be sure of your current cat. As and when he crosses the rainbow bridge I will get a pair who have lived together from the local cat charity
    • SensibleSarah
    • By SensibleSarah 21st Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    SensibleSarah
    • 21st Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    I'm not a big fan of taking indoor cats outside on leads personally, as it's a bit like showing them something really exciting and then taking it away again after a few minutes, and in my (fairly limited) experience of indoor cats, it seems to make them less satisfied with living just indoors.

Getting another cat could work, but is is a risky strategy and I've ended up with 4 cats who would probably all rather live without the others!

If you have a spare room, perhaps you could consider fostering kittens for a local rescue when kitten season kicks in shortly, then you'll have a bit of opportunity to see how your existing cat copes with a newbie?
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 21st Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 8,142 Posts
    • 12,733 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I have mostly had two cats from when I started living on my own (before that, with my ex, we had a houseful). It was because I worked and I thought they would be company for each other. And, selfishly I guess, it meant if one died there was still another around.

That went well until I got current cat. He is definitely a one person one cat, cat. I did have another one with him for a while after his previous companion died but he did not like it one bit. For a big bruiser with battered ears he is a wuss and she (lovely cat that she was) pushed him around and he ended up a bit miserable.

I am all for two cats but you do have to be sure of your current cat. As and when he crosses the rainbow bridge I will get a pair who have lived together from the local cat charity
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Oh gosh - so this!

I've always had rescues and always 2 from the same litter or who have lived together. And like you, I work full time so 2 being company for each other.

I lost one of my old ladies suddenly and unexpectedly last year. I decided not to get another cat as it wouldn't be fair on the surviving cat - my old softie. She seems to be enjoying that she is now the only cat and getting all the attention. I don't think she misses her sister at all. If she does, she certainly doesn't show it.

When the old soft one goes, I'll rescue another couple when I'm ready to do so.
    • jenny-wren
    • By jenny-wren 22nd Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    jenny-wren
    If you've noticed any other changes in behaviour aside from the miaowing it might be worth getting her checked out by a vet. The miaowing could be an indication that there's something wrong, but given that she is so young it's highly unlikely.

We have mostly indoor cat (she has a cat flap in the french doors but has always been too fat and lazy to attempt to get over the six foor fence). She loves to stand by the back door and demand that her slave open it ... only to look outside and go 'nope, I'm not feeling the great outdoors after all'. We tried a harness but you'd think someone had tried to put her in a straight jacket!

We noticed that she had become more vocal but ignored us when we called her name so we thought we should get her checked out to see if maybe her hearing was failing. She had started to drink more and pee more so we mentioned this to the vet. A few tests later we found out she has kidney disease.

Thankfully the vocalisation has settled down and she no longer ignores us (well, when it suits her not to!). If only I could get her to stop miaowing right in my ear in the middle of the night to get under the duvet.

'Close the bedroom door?' ... she'd scratch at that and wake us anyway. She loves to sleep close to us and it's lovely to wake up to a 'Mommy, you're awake, hug me' miaow!!
    Norn Iron Club Member 330
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 22nd Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 8,571 Posts
    • 28,510 Thanks
    fairy lights
    It's spring, there are all sorts of things stirring in to life that she's going to see through the conservatory windows and want to get involved in. At 11 months she's basically a teenager who wants to go out drinking/mousing all night. I think carrying her round outside will have only made the temptation worse as now she knows what she's missing.
    If she wants to go out, I'd let her - maybe just a few hours a day and then lock her in again at night? If she's very attached to you anyway chances are she won't go far.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 22nd Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Oh gosh - so this!

I've always had rescues and always 2 from the same litter or who have lived together. And like you, I work full time so 2 being company for each other.

I lost one of my old ladies suddenly and unexpectedly last year. I decided not to get another cat as it wouldn't be fair on the surviving cat - my old softie. She seems to be enjoying that she is now the only cat and getting all the attention. I don't think she misses her sister at all. If she does, she certainly doesn't show it.

When the old soft one goes, I'll rescue another couple when I'm ready to do so.
    Originally posted by Deep In Debt
    Awww. Cats act differently in these situations. Some pine some are fine. One of the many reasons I love them.

I do have to stay off the local rescue websites though in case I get tempted. One of my friends volunteers there and keeps putting pictures of cats needing homes on Facebook!
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 22nd Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 8,142 Posts
    • 12,733 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Awww. Cats act differently in these situations. Some pine some are fine. One of the many reasons I love them.

I do have to stay off the local rescue websites though in case I get tempted. One of my friends volunteers there and keeps putting pictures of cats needing homes on Facebook!
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    I know where you are coming from! My mum volunteers for Cats Protection so I have a difficult time when ever I see her!
    • Lilyjade
    • By Lilyjade 27th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Lilyjade
    We built a cat pen/catio for our indoor 4 (now 3) which they can come and go in as they please. They love it, even today in the snow at least one of them has been in and out several times. We have ramps, benches, bamboo, platforms etc loads to keep them amused. One particularly likes to sit out in the rain! We do also allow them supervised garden time for 15 mins on a Saturday (if its not raining) and more often in summer. They seem quite happy. None of them really try and run out of open doors or anything, although all of ours have been indoor only from kittens (and they are 6 now and dont realise cats can scale garden fences - shhhh) Saturdays they do try and trip us up until they have had garden time. Saying that one wont go in the garden at all, only the pen is safe in her mind. Personally we wouldnt be without a cat enclosure ever.

We did originally start with one Cat, she was alone for 5 years. She started being really clingy and destructive, so we got another cat, unfortunately we got bad advice and went for a single kitten. While it made her less clingy she hated him as he just wanted to play all the time. After he passed (heart defect at 4.5 years) we got two boy kittens. She was 10 by then and happier as they played together and left her alone. Additional cats did stop some of the clingy behaviour, but she was still just my cat and more human like than any of the others. She preferred my company over the cats or other humans, she was the one watching us leave, greating us at the door and sleeping on my pillow. We lost her last month from cancer unfortunately.

Introducing new cats worked for us, but it wasnt easy. Another cat (or two) may work, it depends on the personality of your girl. If I were you I would speak to some local (small)rescues, ones who really get to know the cats in their care (not high turnover places). Bengals, even half bengals are quite strong so you need to be careful about any new cat you bring in. A submissive boy a little bit younger might work, but he will need to be robust enough to withstand a bengals attention, and submissive enough that she isnt threatened by him. Which is why talking to rescues is recommended.

I totally get why you want to keep her indoors, and its a difficult balance keeping her safe while balancing quality life over quantity. However greeting you and being overly happy youre home could be a Bengal trait ( I believe they are a bit dog like?), if she was super unhappy you would probably see destructive or naughty behaviour like furniture or carpet scratching, pooping in naughty places even over grooming.

Hope some of the above helps.
    • RosesInTheHospital
    • By RosesInTheHospital 1st Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    RosesInTheHospital
    Bengals are very vocal anyway. Mine talk to me (loudly) about anything and everything and they need attention and a lot more play/interactivity.
    We have a cat wheel which the older one loves and we also have plenty of high spaces they can jump on a a floor to ceiling cat tree they constantly go up and down on.
    We had a single bengal then at 10 months decided to get another before the first got too used to being on his own. The best decision we made as they play with each other and snuggle up together.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 8th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4,395 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Could you try a male foster cat to see how she goes with him? Just explain you'd like to adopt but aren't sure how she will be?
    I've introduced plenty of cats, including an 8yr old male to 7/8 & 9yr old males, and all is ok, generally you can tell which cats are better as only cats or with dogs
    I have brother & sister, and the female would live alone if anything happened to her brother, but i'd get another if he was left alone as he's so laid back & would be fine.
    Personally, I don't buy the argument about rabbits & hamsters, last I heard they didn't mark/have territory & hunt, if you have a pet then I believe (unless pedigrees that wouldn't be safe), they should get to behave naturally as much as poss. If an indoor cat is wanted, get an older indoor only rescue
    I'd rather mine only live to be 5, but love life & get to go out, than make 21 living inside
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

3,641Users online

Martin's Twitter