Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 20th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 108Posts
    • 293Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Trying to do everything all at once!
    • 20th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    Trying to do everything all at once! 20th Feb 18 at 10:52 AM
    I have been reading everyone's debt free diaries for years now, and finally had my lightbulb moment about a year ago. Since then, I have paid off around 1500, whilst still going on holiday, being accepted for a mortgage and generally still trying to live my life.

I can't thank everyone enough for the all the tips and ideas they have given me! It has really helped me stay on track. However, I can feel myself slipping back into old habits lately, so I think its time I started my own diary.

You will have to accept my apologies as I lay out my plans: I am a dreamer! But I keep telling myself, the faster I pay off debt, the faster I can start saving, and the sooner I will be off travelling the world!

So, here we go as it stands:
    - 1250.00 Overdraft
    - 849.69 Credit Card
    - 4131.25 Car Finance 0%
    - 381.60 Glasses Finance 0%
    - 2800 Windows Finance 0 %

A little background: Basically, I met my partner around two years ago, and we instantly fell in love. In August last year, we got accepted for a mortgage and moved in together, and we had to do a few things to the house (hence the windows). But we want to get married in 2021 and try for a baby, but still go on holiday in between all that, and generally do 'relationshippy' things. My overdraft and credit card happened before I met my boyfriend, as I went travelling in Africa, but shouldn't have really, as I'm still paying for it now.

Our plan, which has been working so far, is for my partner to pay all house related costs (mortgage, bills) etc, and I use my money to pay off debt and put money towards savings. I know our debt isn't as big as others, but I also want to be mortgage free eventually, and save for a campervan so I can travel the world with my love!! (cringe haha). But we both have quite a bit of disposable income, so it should be manageable.

If you've read this far, thankyou! I will post the SOA as soon as I've finished it!

Thanks Everyone!
    Last edited by LiveLifeFull; 22-02-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Page 5
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 4th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Day Forty Three
    Well, me and OH royally f***** up this weekend

All of the transactions from our two nights out have come out of my account. It isn't looking good. Luckily, we had already paid off what we wanted for the debt this month, as we are going to have to be extra strict with what we have left. And we have OHs birthday and we are going to the pub on Friday. so stupid. Never. Again.

I had a really productive day yesterday, and I'm finally getting back into the swing of things in terms of my work, my health and general well being. Still need to keep an eye on what I'm eating though, and do more exercise. But I'm slowly getting there.

I've also just started a bullet journal, which is fun. (the journal was a gift to me). I will be doing a debt free chart and a spending diary in there, so I can really keep an eye on what we are doing, and how far we've got to go before the debt has completely gone!

TO DO LIST:
    - Complete my work to do list (its long so heres to hoping)
    - Start bullet journal
    - Tidy living room/kitchen/bathroom
    - Cook healthy dinner from stores
    - Make healthy lunch for tomorrow from stores
    - Put away dry, clean washing
    - Do two loads of washing
    - Watch a film with OH

Happy Wednesday! I love how quick this week is going
    My CC - Feb 18 849.69 July 18 0.00
    My OD - Feb 18 1250.00 July 18 1250.00
    OH CC - Feb 18 976.00 July 18 1852.00
    OH OD - Feb 18 500.00 July 18 0.00
    TOTAL OD/CC DEBT: Feb 18 3575.69 Mar 18 3490.95Apr 18 3257.78 July 18: 3102.00
    OD/CC DEBT FREE DATE: DECEMBER 2018
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 9th Apr 18, 10:40 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Day Forty Eight
    Morning everyone,

Nothing much to report. I ordered the MuscleFood meat order, which has actually saved us some money in the food shopping fund. Hopefully we have a little bit left over before pay day, and it can go towards a debt over payment.

Just trying to make it through to payday without spending anything on the cards this month. Its my OH birthday on Thursday, so we will be going to Harry Potter world. He should get some money off his parents, which is good, as we are so skint this month due to drunken recklessness.

But, onwards and upwards. We haven't added to our debt this month, so that's always a win. Need to get my productive head back on, and focus again.

TO DO LIST
    - Go food shopping for fruit and veg
    - Tidy living room/bathroom/kitchen
    - Swipe Kitchen/Bathroom
    - Put away clean, dry clothes
    - Two loads of washing
    - Do 30 mins of exercise
    - Read some of a book
    - Get the suitcases down and start preparing for holiday at the end of the month.
    - HEALTHY dinner from stores
    - Prepare HEALTHY lunch for tomorrow from stores
    - Get on top of workload at job
    - Have a nice long bath (share water with OH) and cleanse, tone, moisturise. Hair to dry naturally.
    - De-cobweb the whole of the house
    - Hoover living room & kitchen
    - Turn off all plug switches that are not in use
    - Throw out flowers from easter
    - Get something out of the freezer for tomorrow dinner
    - Contact family member about why our freezer is over freezing
    Last edited by LiveLifeFull; 09-04-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 23rd Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Back on the Wagon
    Had some time off over the last two weeks. Me and OH have spent abit, but nowhere near what I thought we would. So, its payday for me tomorrow, and we go to Bali at the end of this week! So I've done our budget for the next month, and I am DETERMINED that we stick to it.

As we our on holiday for two weeks, most of our expenses for May will come out of our spending money, like food etc. I am so excited to go, and we have saved up for every penny of this holiday. Not one ounce of it was put on the CC.

MAYS BUDGET:
    Income:
    1472.52 (This might be 10 more because of the new tax year but I'm not counting it)

Outgoings:
    Car Finance: 128.80
    Car Insurance: 41.14
    Phone: 57.36 - So expensive I know, but I'm tied in until Jan 19 - then will go sim only
    Windows: 175.00 - Desperately needed this - finance finishes Jun 19
    Cineworld: 17.95 - Pretty much our only source of entertainment
    Glasses Finance: 31.67 - I hadn't got new glasses for 10 YEARS. They shouted at me
    Petrol: 30.00 - Lower because we are away for two weeks
    Food: 50.00 - Lower because we are away for two weeks
    Savings for Bali holiday: 492.00 - As of next payday, this will be going towards debt repayments
    Debt Repayments: 140.00
    Birthday: 20.00 - Try to get lower
    Savings for October Hen party: 50.00 - I'm a bridesmaid
    Holiday bits and bobs: 95.00
    Dentist: 30.00
    MOT/Service: 21.00 - Saving monthly
    Stamp Duty: 13.88 - We are looking to buy our second home in 2022, so I'm slowly saving now.
    Bullet Journal: 10.00
    Bank Charges/Fees: 28.69

My OH will be paying all household bills this month.

Lets see if they all come out the accounts smoothly at the end of the month, and we can get through May unscathed!!

Happy Monday!
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 24th Jul 18, 1:55 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Back on the Wagon SECOND ATTEMPT
    I'm getting annoyed at myself because I keep falling off the wagon.

I feel like we have been scrimping and not splurging on anything extravagant but because of certain circumstances we've still had to pay out quite a bit of money, hence why the debt total hasn't gone down by much!

Since I've last updated this diary, me and the boyfriend have been to Bali for two weeks, which was AMAZING but cost us a fortune, as we had a bit of an issue where OH was approached some women at night time asking for *ahem* and when he said no, they attacked him. He is absolutely fine and wasn't hurt at all, he just had to push them off, but we didn't feel safe in the area so we had to pay for another hotel for pretty much most of the holiday.

THEN, when we got back, my OHs car completely broke. He works in the community and absolutely needs his car, so we had to get that fixed asap.

So all in all, not much has been paid off debt. I've completely paid off my CC which I've had for years so that was the best feeling ever. I've cancelled it now. And then this month, I paid 500.00 to completely pay off the OHs overdraft. So now we are just down to my OD and my OH CC.

Because of the setbacks, my debt free date is now been pushed back to December 2018. Its only two months but its annoying. Its just motivated me even more now.

So, this months plan of action:

- STICK TO THE BUDGET
    - DO NOT BUY ANY LUNCHES AT WORK
    - MEAL PLAN AND COOK ALL MEALS AT HOME *NO TAKEAWAYS*
    - NO IMPROMPTU NIGHTS OUT

If I can do this, I will be SO happy. Just need. to. stay. motivated.
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 8th Aug 18, 2:48 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Change of plans
    Mine and the BFs future plans have now changed! It will benefit us in the long run (we think) and takes the pressure off us now.

Our original plan was to pay off debt by December 2018, save up and get married in 2021 whilst also savings for another house deposit to move out in 2022. We were then going to rent our current house out, and use that as one of our 'future pensions'.

However, after months and months of really thinking about this, we have decided that we want to become financially independent as soon as possible, and retire as early as we can so we can go travelling around the world. We do feel that after reading Mr Money Moustacchhee, the best way to do this is to NOT get another 200k mortgage that we will be paying until we are 60, but instead, over pay our 80k mortgage now, and put the rest into savings and our work pensions.

Meanwhile, we also still want to have a baby at some point in the future, and the house is literally falling apart, so we want to save 20k - 40k for house renovations as we DONT want to put it on the mortgage if we don't have to.

Doing all the calculations, we were worried that it might have been cheaper to just buy another house, but even if we did, we wouldn't get another house with an 80k mortgage, not even a 100k mortgage that's good enough, and paying for a 200k mortgage, whilst we could afford it, would leave us with no disposable income. So I feel that we have made the right choice.

We are a little bit nave about investments/bonds etc, so it will take some time to figure that out and make sure we are doing it all properly with the best forecasted outcome.

Future timeline:
    2018 - Become debt free
    2019 - Save for wedding/house renovations
    2020 - Save for wedding/house renovations
    2021 - Save for wedding/house renovations
    2022 - Save for House Renovations
    2023 - Save for Maternity Leave
    2024 onwards - Save for retirement/overpay mortgage/savings for baby

I think (hope) this is a better plan than renting out a house and becoming a landlord. I think its more hassle than its worth, especially as this house is old- it would need ALOT of maintenance.

On the debt front - we are doing okay! We had a hiccup at the end of July, so we are skint this month now. We are going away for a week at the end of August to see my family in Kent, which we have money put aside for and I also get paid while we are there so that's okay.

Just need to keep staying focused, looking towards the future and planning a better life for us both!!
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 10th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Todays Update
    Everything is ticking along nicely this month so far now. We have no plans until the 24th August which is payday for me, so I'm super happy. I have 590.00 to pay off debt in the bank, which I'm keeping until the night before I get paid, just in case anything happens.

I've also just started my own weight loss journey on SW. I was 13 stone 4 on Sunday, and I've been 100% perfect on plan since, and I am now 12.12 and 3/4. I'm actually amazed. I've done SW loads of times before and never seen a result like that but I just know I want it more this time. Before, my reason for losing weight was that I "just wanted to look good in clothes" but my reason has changed. I now want to do it because I want to be healthy. I want to live a long and happy life and its really focused me. I haven't had any pop/caffeine since Sunday and I know its only 5 days but I honestly haven't even been bothered at all! I also know that I can have them both on SW but the caffeine makes me a bit anxious so I've eliminated it from my life! I'm even happier now after only losing such a little amount so I'm really determined to keep going.

TO DO LIST:
    - Tidy living room/kitchen/bathroom
    - x2 loads of washing
    - Gym
    - Put the clean dry washing away
    - Make a SW dinner - I'm thinking a chicken curry with lots of veggies
    - Shower + let hair dry naturally
    - Use up some cosmetics - paint nails, exfoliate, cleanse, tone, moisturise
    - Pluck my eyebrows
    - Only hoover places that need it
    - Find info on mortgage to set up online account
    - Find info on pension to set up online account

Happy Friday
    Last edited by LiveLifeFull; 10-08-2018 at 2:16 PM.
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 13th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Start of a New Week
    I'm feeling really positive today. We have 590.00 in our accounts waiting to be paid on to the debt at the end of this month and if we actually manage around 500.00 I will be so happy.

I'm curious about savings accounts though. I've been trying to research the best savings accounts that are out there, but there's SO much information, it all gets a bit confusing. I've heard Santander and RBS are good ones?

Diet and gym is still going well - going well as in I haven't quit or messed up yet!

No spending to report - we are skint this month so cant spend anything really So just waiting for 24th August for when payday arrives, and I can play around again.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday!
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 16th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Dreaming about the future
    Only 8 days until payday! I'm really counting down this month. We have been super super furgal for the remainder of this month as we completely f***** up at the beginning by going out and drinking after a christening and spending way more than we wanted. So it just goes to show, you can actually survive on less than you think! We still have 590.00 in the savings account to be paid off the debt at the end of the month, so we just have to get through the next eight days. We have a freezer full of meat still, we just need to top up on fruit and veg. We also have 13.00 on a M&S voucher that we were given to by SSE for changing to a gas and electric smart reader, so we won't be spending much more than that!

We are going away to Kent next Friday for 4 days, so it will be a nice little break away. We are staying with family, so it will be minimal food costs. I need to buy a dress while Im there which I've budget 30.00 for, and I also need an umbrella, which Ill get in pr!mark. But this is all in our budget this month. Really happy that we are back on track and still aim to be debt free by December!

The biggest change I've noticed this month is that because im doing SW, I'm not buying any food when Im at work. It has saved me SO much money and I've lost 7 pounds this month so far!! Saving and losing lbs.

I went to a spinning class last night so its my rest night tonight, so I want to get lots of things done at home:

TO DO LIST:
    - Tidy living room
    - Tidy kitchen
    - Tidy bathroom
    - x2 loads of washing
    - Put all dry washing away
    - Quick tidy of upstairs
    - Find mortgage information so I can set us up online
    - Find pension details so I can set myself up online
    - Go over the budget with OH for next month
    - Make SW dinner
    - Go M&S and pick up some fruit and veg
    - Cleanse, tone, moisturise (going through stores before I buy anything new)
    - Paint nails + pluck eyebrows
    - Make sure all switches not in use are off
    - Take all shoes/coats/bags that are in the downstairs cupboard Upstairs

Think that will be enough!

Happy Thursday - its almost Friday
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 16th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Have just read your diary and subscribed
    I can totally relate to your desire to "live life now" - this is where a lot of my debt has come from too.
    I'm always thinking you never know what could happen tomorrow so you have to live for today, but I had my LightBulbMoment just over 12 months ago when I got engaged. I realized I would never have the wedding, home, family life I dreamed of if I carried on juggling debt.
    I am still paying off a trip to NYC from June 2017... and will be for about another 10 months. But slowly, slowly it's going down and the wedding saving pot is going up and things are getting better.

Stick with it! One thing I've just recently done is set up a Monzo account which I am already loving because you can transfer your spending money into it weekly or monthly and any transactions you make show up immediately (not three days later) so no nasty surprises! Maybe something that might help you?

Best of luck,
    SaF x
    Proudly on my debt free journey
    CC1: 0/2120.60 CC2: 860/3239.99
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 17th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Thanks for your reply SavingAFuture! A wedding is exactly why I want to be debt free too! My OH has said he wont even propose until we are out of debt! But its a good incentive haha! I want to have a wedding, a baby, go on lots of holidays and potentially retire early so we can travel the world in a little campervan, but we can't do that if we are constantly spending our wages paying back debt! So frustrating, but I feel like we can do this! I don't think our debt is THAT high, and as we are quite young, we are catching it early!

Thanks for the Monzo tip! I will take a look, it sounds perfect for me actually!

Nothing to report today.. went food shopping last night, and spent a little bit of the 590.00, only around 30.00 worth, and that should last us now until payday on the 24th. I said before, that if we make it through the month with 500.00 still left over to throw at debt, I would be happy, and it looks like its going to happen

TO DO LIST:
    - Catch up on work stuff
    - x2 loads of washing
    - Put all dry washing away
    - Quick tidy of upstairs
    - Find mortgage information so I can set us up online
    - Find pension details so I can set myself up online
    - Go over the budget with OH for next month
    - Make SW dinner
    - Cleanse, tone, moisturise (going through stores before I buy anything new)
    - Paint nails + pluck eyebrows
    - Make sure all switches not in use are off
    - Take all shoes/coats/bags that are in the downstairs cupboard Upstairs

HAPPY FRIDAY PEOPLE!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,807 Thanks
    redofromstart
    ooh nice work on the 7lbs off.
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 17th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Thanks so much Redo! I'm really determined this time - it feels different from all the other times I've tried to lose weight!
    • SavingAFuture
    • By SavingAFuture 17th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    SavingAFuture
    Thanks for popping over to my diary! Getting married is such a massive incentive to get my butt in gear to sort out my debts and generally re-think my attitude to money. Saving up for stuff is so much more rewarding.

I love your idea of early retirement and getting a campervan. This is something I would adore too - I'd explore all round the UK and then maybe off into Europe. My Dad is currently saving for a narrow boat when he retires - can't wait to start visiting him up and down the waterways of Britain! I guess we're just a family of adventurers. Even my Mum talks of running off to Peru, but I think that's just when she gets sick of work haha.

So, as you asked about wedding savings... originally we were going to do everything on the cheap but the more we discussed it, the more we realised that for what we want to do, it wasn't going to be 5k. We've set a more realistic budget of 10,000 but even that is quite low if you want all of the "traditional" elements. We're pulling in all the favours we can to keep it under this so we can also afford a honeymoon (we also love to travel - aiming for Hawaii). But post wedding I should be debt free (FINGERS CROSSED) meaning we could channel all our savings towards a honeymoon and go a little later.

It seems like you are in a good head space about your situation so well done for that and I'm so impressed with your to-do lists. I've had one tough year of plugging away at the debt with one more to go. I know you can do it too.

Best wishes,
    SaF x
    Proudly on my debt free journey
    CC1: 0/2120.60 CC2: 860/3239.99
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 20th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Thanks SavingAFuture! I think 10k is quite reasonable actually! I think the wedding that I want is going to be more like 20k If we can save it, then its all fine, but if not, I'm not putting anything on credit cards etc, so if we cant afford it, we wont have it.

Still nothing much to report - had a lovely day out at Resorts world in Birmingham over the weekend - we had a Nand0s and went to Cinew0rld - My OH gets NHS discount in Nand0s, and we are both members of Cinew0rld unlimited - so the costs were absolutely minimal really! And it was such a lovely day! Only four more sleeps until payday.

Weight loss and exercising is still going well. I'm really impressed with myself actually. I feel so much better about myself already and I've only just started my SW journey. Its also amazed me how much money I've saved because all my lunches and dinner have to be carefully thought out with minimal snacking. So its such a win- win.

I just wanted to put in a little list of the goals I want to achieve in September, it makes the overall goal less daunting

- Pay 500.00 off debt by budgeting accordingly, completing surveys, entering competitions, Baying.
    - Lose 6 pounds. That's 1.5lbs per week - drink 3ltrs a day, gym x3 per week, prepare all lunches.
    - Read at least 4 books in September
    - Write 10,000 words of my novel that I'm currently working on
    - Learn a new craft; For example, soap, bath bombs, candles, drawing, comics
    - Spend more quality time with family and friends
    - Get my website and IG up and running
    - Either get up earlier/go to bed later but use the time to achieve the above.

I'm so motivated at the moment - I just hope it lasts
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 23rd Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    September Budget and August Round Up
    Morning everyone! Its payday tomorrow, so I thought I would do a round up of August and then projected spends for September to help keep me on track.

August:
    August went pretty well apart from our hiccup right at the beginning of the month. We have managed to pay off 500.00 worth of debt this month, so I'm pleased about that. We did go to Nand0s twice too, which wasn't necessary - as in twice in two days. We loooove Nand0s but that needs to stop even though we do get 20% discount. But apart from them too things, its been a really successful month. Haven't bought ANY lunches this month so far which has saved me a ton of money and I've lost half a stone in the process. To sum up - I'm hoping to have another really successful month in September, but its going to be much much harder as we have LOTS of things planned and a week off work.

September: - Are you ready for this?
    This month is going to be a lot harder to navigate through, as we are both really busy pretty much every weekend, and we are both going down to Kent to see family for a weeks holiday. I have a hen party to begin saving for in October, I have a birthday night out in Birmingham which I need a new dress for and money for the night, I need to go to the dentist, AND its my cousins first babies birthday this month too. AND THATS JUST ME. My OH has his cousins 30th birthday present to buy and we've been invited to his birthday meal, it was his dads 60th birthday which we bought Jersey Boys tickets for which have already been paid for, but my OH will need money for the day for a meal or something. Its also his older brothers birthday this month too. AND FINALLY, there are too very highly anticipated boxing fights on this month, (my OH is a HUGE fan) so we will be buying them on the tele to watch too.

ARGHH. Such a busy month

THE SILVER LINING:
    My OH got paid an extra 295.00 this month because of the back pay from the NHS rise. We are keeping that to one side instead of just whacking it on the debt, just because we have such a busy month ahead. We have budgeted for all of the above without the additional money though, so hoping that we can get through it.

THE BUDGET(ITS HUGEEE)
    Combined income this month: 3265.59

My Outgoing Direct Debits: 482.59
    OH Outgoing Direct Debits: 132.40
    Household bills: 723.67
    Petrol for the both of us: 300.00 (OH works in the community)
    Food: 250.00
    Bank Charges for both of us: 53.00 (overdrafts)
    OH Min Payment on CC: 30.00
    My Cousins Babys birthday present: 25.00
    Dentist for me: 30.00
    Hen Party Savings: 100.00
    My friends birthday night out: 50.00
    Dress for above nightout: 41.00
    OHs Haircut: 15.00
    OHs Cousins 30th Bday Present: 20.00
    OHs Cousins 30th Bday meal for the both of us: 50.00
    Two Boxing fights on TV: 30.00
    Jersey Boys day trip for OH for his dads 60th: 50.00
    OHs brothers Bday present: 10.00
    Kent: 200.00

TOTAL: 2592.66

Which means leftover for Debt repayment this month is: 672.93

If we can pay off 600.00 of debt this month, I will be so happy! That would be half my overdraft gone forever!

Sorry for the extremely long post!

Bring on September!!

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 23rd Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 7,390 Posts
    • 16,310 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I like your plan of not getting a 200k mortgage and going into BTL. We have explored it several times and came to same conclusion as you and it is no where near as tax advantageous as it used to be. People I know who have become landlords spend half their time sorting out problems with property or renovating them ready for rent and the other half stressing about financing them or finding good reliable tenants.

We did the same as you and while many of our friends kept moving up the property ladder spending loads of time renovating and paying huge mortgages we did not increase our mortgage and stayed put so our mortgage was repaid in our 40s. That gave us a good 10 to 15 years to increase our pension savings before retiring at 58. Would have been earlier if we did not have kids although I would not change that for the world

I am a fan of Mr Money Mustache. It is on our agenda to rent a camper van and explore the states and maybe Europe although we are now leaning to doing it using trains and hotels once our grandchildren are older and we are not helping so much with childcare.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 23rd Aug 18, 1:00 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    I like your plan of not getting a 200k mortgage and going into BTL. We have explored it several times and came to same conclusion as you and it is no where near as tax advantageous as it used to be. People I know who have become landlords spend half their time sorting out problems with property or renovating them ready for rent and the other half stressing about financing them or finding good reliable tenants.

We did the same as you and while many of our friends kept moving up the property ladder spending loads of time renovating and paying huge mortgages we did not increase our mortgage and stayed put so our mortgage was repaid in our 40s. That gave us a good 10 to 15 years to increase our pension savings before retiring at 58. Would have been earlier if we did not have kids although I would not change that for the world

I am a fan of Mr Money Mustache. It is on our agenda to rent a camper van and explore the states and maybe Europe although we are now leaning to doing it using trains and hotels once our grandchildren are older and we are not helping so much with childcare.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver

This is what we realised too! If we got another house, we would be paying another mortgage until were 60+ and its just not what we want. We aren't really bothered about big houses and flashy cars, obviously we would LOVE that but we would choose life experiences/travel/memories over everything and we think this is the best way to achieve that!

Do you invest or anything? We will be overpaying the mortgage/maximising our pensions with our employers and then we want to save/invest but we are complete n00bs with that!

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad that our plan doesn't seem foolish!
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 23rd Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    QUICK UPDATE:

Just been told that I get a 2%+ payrise with my wages tomorrow - it will probably only be about a tenner but every little helps! I also move up a salary scale at some point over the next few months! It could be tomorrow too.. we shall see!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 23rd Aug 18, 1:44 PM
    • 7,390 Posts
    • 16,310 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    This is what we realised too! If we got another house, we would be paying another mortgage until were 60+ and its just not what we want. We aren't really bothered about big houses and flashy cars, obviously we would LOVE that but we would choose life experiences/travel/memories over everything and we think this is the best way to achieve that!

Do you invest or anything? We will be overpaying the mortgage/maximising our pensions with our employers and then we want to save/invest but we are complete n00bs with that!

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad that our plan doesn't seem foolish!
    Originally posted by LiveLifeFull
    We decided our priorities were travelling and having enough money to do that before before retirement and now, helping our daughters through university and house deposits etc and early retirement as my DH worked long hours and travelled a lot by car. Consequently we aimed to retire at 60 but could afford to go at 58. We have been in our current house 30 years and opted for home improvements/extension rather than moving.

We do invest or rather we have invested as now we are in drawdown phase although we are using cash/current accounts at the moment for this. We invested firstly in our occupational pensions by overpaying. My DH paid 10% and his employer matched it and I have a LGPS which I paid additional contributions into. We also invested in stocks and shares isas Just using a multi asset fund with low charges and a mix of fixed term investments (bonds) and equities (shares). I was a novice until about 4 years ago. The savings and investment boards here are good for advice. Mr money moustache also talks about it but as he is US based I follow more UK FIRE (financial independence, retire early) blogs. Monevator articles are good for new investors. We also have an income portfolio which subsidises our pensions and SIPPs again to supplement pensions.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 24th Aug 18, 11:32 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    Thanks Enthusiastic! I need to take a look at some FIRE blogw, because at the end of the day, that's the dream isn't it!

Once we are debt free, we will be looking at maximising our pensions, as I'm only paying around 38.00 into mine at the moment. My OH has an NHS pension which is amazing, so it will be mine that we focus on the most, and then additional savings alongside that.

We probably wont start overpaying pensions/mortgage etc though until we've hopefully had a baby and they are in school, as we've noticed that so many of our friends and people on here get into so much debt on maternity leave or from paying childcare, so we want to save and make it through to the other side of that first. Then we will go crazy with the overpayments haha.

Thanks for all your advice - its really exciting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,287Users online

Martin's Twitter