Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • safeashouses
    • By safeashouses 20th Feb 18, 9:30 AM
    • 123Posts
    • 48Thanks
    safeashouses
    Best budgeting app?
    • 20th Feb 18, 9:30 AM
    Best budgeting app? 20th Feb 18 at 9:30 AM
    Does anyone use a budget app they would recommend?

Ideally it would link to my bank accounts so I don't have to keep inputting data. It would alert me when direct debits are due, when more money needs to go in, when there is sufficient money to move to savings...

Thanks.
Page 1
    • colsten
    • By colsten 20th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 9,397 Posts
    • 8,340 Thanks
    colsten
    • 20th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 20th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    Apparently YNAB might fit the bill. There's quite a user community from MSE. I seem to remember they are charging now, though. Do a search for YNAB, you should find a dedicated user thread.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 20th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    YNAB is a good budgeting tool but if you want to link to bank accounts there aren't many, if any, banks in the UK that it will work with. I do manual importing using files downloaded via online banking, which is fine but a little extra work over automatic importing.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 20th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 3,039 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Naf
    • 20th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    https://www.moneydashboard.com/

Also has an app; pretty sure for both iOS and Android. Integrates with your accounts, imports and tags your transactions, and gives you predictions about how much things will be and when. Not sure if notifications are possible, but I'd say its worth looking into.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • safeashouses
    • By safeashouses 21st Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    safeashouses
    • 21st Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 21st Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    Thanks everyone, I have gone with Yolt and it is just what I wanted.
    • fanheater
    • By fanheater 21st Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    fanheater
    • 21st Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    good choice. I have been using Yolt for a few months.
    • Kev224
    • By Kev224 28th Feb 18, 4:49 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Kev224
    • 28th Feb 18, 4:49 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 4:49 AM
    I just found this thread through a search, exactly what I was going to ask. Funnily enough because I was frustrated with Yolt.

My problems are
    - I got that new B Account for the 250 switching bonus and it's not supported
    - transactions seem to sit as pending forever and you can't change the category until it's confirmed, by which time I've probably forgotten
    - you can't edit the categories. They don't really match my own spending so I have to come up with a weird code system that I need to remember
    - you can't split transactions so my big shop has to all go to groceries or whatever
    - you can't change the start of a month, as far as I can make out. Its only by the calendar month, which is annoying as I tend to get income mid month.

I tried Money Dashboard a year or two back but it was treating transfers from one account to another as an expense which makes the graphs go crazy.

I looked up that YNAB just now but can't justify the initial outlay of $84, seems completely counter intuitive.

Any other suggestions? I don't mind a desktop based program either.

The only other thing I've tried is keeping spreadsheets. In a sense you can customise a spreadsheet in terms of categories, dates etc all you want but it's arduous to say the least and I'm liable to make mistakes/forget something/forget it exists altogether.

Any apps/sites/general advice on keeping track would be hugely appreciated!
    • vintagegirl
    • By vintagegirl 28th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    vintagegirl
    • 28th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    best one ive ever used is My Budgets.
    I got the upgraded one for 2.99 and it does every single thing i want it to do
    • streety
    • By streety 5th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    streety
    • 5th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    My search for the best budgeting app has brought me here. I'm going on away on holiday in October and looking to manage my money, so I can pay off the balance and save enough for spending.

I also have just consolidated purchase credit cards into a balance transfer cards, so I want to be able to control monthly payments.

Any apps that you would recommend for Android? Yolt does look good.
    • SimbaK2K
    • By SimbaK2K 5th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    SimbaK2K
    Started using Yolt about 2 weeks ago and really liking it so far.

Easy to setup, open banking is already implemented for bank that have support for it, and seems to be secure. Takes some getting used to, i.e. seeing payments to my credit card as a transfer instead of a bill which while correct is a bit odd, but going to continue using it for now.
    • silver88
    • By silver88 10th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    silver88
    How about using app only current accounts? You can pay-in money in the account for your monthly expenses so that you can keep track of your budget. There are some good online only current accounts that come with budget management tools built in.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 10th Apr 18, 11:52 AM
    • 9,397 Posts
    • 8,340 Thanks
    colsten
    How about using app only current accounts? You can pay-in money in the account for your monthly expenses so that you can keep track of your budget. There are some good online only current accounts that come with budget management tools built in.
    Originally posted by silver88
    Never ever use a bank account to track your spending. The method of accessing your bank account (app, online, etc) makes no difference. The only person who knows how much you spent and how much you have committed to spend is yourself. If you are into apps, use a budgeting app for this. Though pen and paper might suffice. Personally, I use AceMoney, which presently doesn't have an app but they keep promising one, and they do have a thing called "AceMoney for Windows Mobile"
    Last edited by colsten; 10-04-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    No_6
    or even,,,, MS money on a laptop !
    you enter all your data and get results.

at least you are in control, it's YOUR money.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 21st Oct 18, 10:56 AM
    • 32,966 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    DCFC79
    {Edited by Forum Team}t
    Originally posted by wmayger

Oh what a surprise, the owner (or developer) of the app is a {Edited by Forum Team} and your username is wmayger or essentially {Edited by Forum Team}. So your promoting your own app.

If its as good as you say it is you shouldn't have to resort to self promotion.

Hi {Edited by Forum Team}, why should anyone use your app over the more established apps like Yolt or YNAB ?
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 06-11-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: {Edited by Forum Team}
    • wmayger
    • By wmayger 5th Nov 18, 12:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wmayger
    Hi DCFC79,

Yes, I am the developer and owner of the app, and yes that is my name.

Nice detective work by the way, I really should try hiding my name a little better, other than using it as my username, can't believe you saw through that...

But no, thank you, for displaying in clear sight, my name, on a public forum...

On a serious note, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

As I hope you can see, I am not actually trying to hide my identity, nor I am not spamming my app everywhere. I am posting it where it is relevant to do so, so that it may provide value to whoever comes across it.

1. "If its as good as you say it is you shouldn't have to resort to self promotion."

First, I have said it is useful to me, which it is and I use it, I created it for me because most budgeters are too complex and I wanted something simple and easy, as I said in my original comment.

I am assuming you do not own, or have developed any apps on any of the app stores?
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

When you publish an app that you have put hundreds of hours into building and perfecting, it does not just get instant visibility like that because there are hundreds of thousands of apps out there.

You have to start marketing and promoting your app so that people can find it, and start using it, which in itself, slowly gains you visibility If they like your app.

In short, If you do not promote your app, no one will find it.

Apps like Yolt or YNAB have much larger budgets to promote their apps through advertising than a single developer, that is why you would have heard of them over many other apps.

2. "why should anyone use your app over the more established apps like Yolt or YNAB ?"
    As I have explained in my previous comment, It is simple, and easy to use. I am fed up of seeing complicated budgeting apps on the market when most people just want something simple, quick and easy to use.
    So I made my own, for me, and I think it can help other people as well so it is free for everyone.

I hope this is helpful and explains it for you, and if you are intrigued, please check it out.
    After all I am just trying to help other people by providing another option for budgeting.
    I would value your thoughts on it as well, as I am sure there is a lot to improve.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 06-11-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Removed by Forum Team
    • aj23
    • By aj23 5th Nov 18, 2:37 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    aj23
    Pen and paper.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Nov 18, 3:36 PM
    • 32,966 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Pen and paper.
    Originally posted by aj23

Definitely wont use MaBudget. If I were to use an app it would be YNAB or stick to Excel or pen & paper.

Excel too
    • wmayger
    • By wmayger 5th Nov 18, 10:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wmayger
    Definitely wont use MaBudget. If I were to use an app it would be YNAB or stick to Excel or pen & paper.

Excel too
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Hi DCFC79, again,
    Not 100% sure why you are attacking me or my app (MaBudget), however, if you have a problem with me, or my app I would appreciate you addressing me about it, rather than making wild allegations that are not true.
    I have respectfully replied to your comment above, answering your questions and will happily answer any other questions you may have.
    If you do not have anything to say back to me after that then you should not be, blindly making up stories saying "Definitely wont use MaBudget" as you are actually harming the users, trust and values of this post by lying to them.

After all, what is wrong with the app MaBudget for you to be saying: "Definitely won't use MaBudget"?

Please could you explain to everyone why you believe MaBudget is bad?
    As there are already many, many people who actually really like the app MaBudget, in fact you are the first person to actually register this much dislike for the application.

So please explain to me, and the community what you are basing these comments on.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 5th Nov 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    RG2015
    "Definitely wont use MaBudget" as you are actually harming the users, trust and values of this post by lying to them.

After all, what is wrong with the app MaBudget for you to be saying: "Definitely won't use MaBudget"?

So please explain to me, and the community what you are basing these comments on.
    DCFC79 is making a personal decision not to use the app so there is no lying involved.

Your first post was disingenuous saying that you had been using an app without mentioning that it was an app you had developed.

You have not done yourself any favours and that is before the little matter of possibly breaking forum rules by advertising your product without first obtaining permission from MSE.
    Last edited by RG2015; 05-11-2018 at 11:18 PM. Reason: correcting typo.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 6th Nov 18, 6:23 AM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    RG2015
    The reason why I am saying what I am saying is not because this user has said he does not like my app because of X, Y and Z, it is because he is saying about how my app is bad even though he has no evidence to base that on. I actually welcome feedback and criticisms as they help improve all aspects of life for everyone.
    Nobody has said your app is bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,487Users online

Martin's Twitter