Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 20th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 7,302Posts
    • 10,721Thanks
    surfsister
    double glazing fitting problem
    • 20th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    double glazing fitting problem 20th Feb 18 at 8:00 AM
    Hi moneysavers I need some advice and as this is the place to ask here I am.

I had Zenith fit double glazing to my place but they had an awful trouble fitting it due to concrete window sills etc none of which is my fault obviously. But they had to fit the windows by taking the front off and putting the back in from outside then screwing into the side of the window (despite going on about how the old windows were screwewed in and that they use a whizzy much safer screw type thingee). But on thinking about it they are supoposed to have a sealed unit with argon gas in so won't this make them not the same as I ordered? They also broke two of the larger panes and have to return to refit them leaving me with cracked windows.

Now luckily for me I haven't paid them! Just a deposit. So any ideas what to do? Should I contact Zenith before they fit the glass or wait until they have done the job in case they don't return?
    thanks
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 20th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Furts
    • 20th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 20th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    Sorry, but I do not understand what the issue is. If you post a photo that could help as a picture is worth countless words. Also what age home? Is it quite recent with "stone" cills that are made of concrete? Does it have cavity walls? Are these built with cavity closers?

Two general pointers though. Windows are made to measure for your openings. So the fact that you feel something has been altered or dismantled suggests that they may have been made the wrong size. The second point is national chains like Zenith are notorious for all round problems. Hence bearing this in mind your windows may not be a good job.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 20th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 20th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    But on thinking about it they are supoposed to have a sealed unit with argon gas in so won't this make them not the same as I ordered?
    Originally posted by surfsister
    They won't take the sealed units apart so the argon won't escape (if it was ever in there in the first place). The cracked units will be replaced completely.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 20th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 20th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    the fitter said he is going to just put a sheet of new glass in the windows which are cracked so a bit confused. So he should be putting in whole new units? that's what I thought.

thanks I will ring them
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 8,658 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    He will pop out the premade broken double glazing unit, intact and both sheets of glass, and pop in a new one. It will be as good as it ever could be, and nobody, not even an expert, could tell it was any different.

The sealed unit is entirely separate from the white plastic surround.
    • Aubrey Thicket
    • By Aubrey Thicket 20th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Aubrey Thicket
    • 20th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    Please explain further what you mean. I may be able to help. The windows should be made to measure the brick opening and should not be fitted into anything other than the brick opening. Are you suggesting that they have left some part of the original (old) window and place and fixed the new windows to that old frame? Also, modern Insulated Glass Units can be changed within 30 seconds by popping the bead out, and replacing the whole unit. As long as they are changed there's no problem here. bear in mind the windows are internally beaded so the fitter will do this from the inside of the house.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 21st Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 21st Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    thanks both you have set my mind at rest that must be what he is going to do I hope!

Will see soon. Thanks for the info!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 3rd Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 2:36 PM
    more probs guys!

they came back and refitted new sealed units into the windows and managed to crack the new one then demanded payment. I refused as they had not fulfilled the order. I have now taken 4 days off work (no pay for me as agency work) so have lost money.

They drove off and the fitting admin woman range me - quite unfriendly demanding I pay up - I refused. so stalemate. The fitters left without further comment.

Any advice?? They have now broken the same sealed unit twice! I am fast losing confidence in them

they also keep mentioning having the replacement done under my guarantee. but why should I do this as they still have not completed the original order.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 3rd Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Furts
    • 3rd Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    You should be paying what is owed but holding back a reasonable amount to cover the outstanding work. An off the record type comment is to hold back a sum that keeps you protected yet also acts as an incentive to get Zenith to play ball. After all if you held back the sealed unit cost and fitting, say 100, then Zenith are likely to say "sod you" and right this off. You do the maths to suit what you feel is right here.

As for calling it a guarantee replacement, I am guessing the fitters are covering their backsides by not wanting to admit they originally got it wrong. They are also likely to be sub contractors. They may have booked the job as completed, and be attempting to get a further payment claiming the visit is new work - namely a warranty replacement job.

Put all this down to experience, and on your next home, or double glazing job. avoid Zenith like they were a plague!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 4th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    but the point is there is also a few issues too like 4 damaged beading strips which they said they will replace. surely they are bound to as they are not fit for purpose?

should I get a quote from another firm to replace the unit and beading strips then deduct this from the bill?

thanks
    • Furts
    • By Furts 4th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Furts
    If the work was done in February then it is reasonable to pay by the end of March. This is no different to the terms Zenith will have entered when sourcing the windows.

However it sounds like you have some concerns about what has occurred. Hence go through every window with a fine tooth comb - check the opening,closing and locking, check the sealant has been done properly including under windows and doors and all internal joints with walls, check for gaps and drafts,, check for scratched glass ... you get the idea. Then notify Zenith in writing of all items that require remedial works. Stipulate that payment will be made by the end of March provided all the outstanding work is rectified.
    • Box28
    • By Box28 4th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Box28
    Breaking one glass can happen. Breaking 2 and then a replacement sounds like you've got the Chuckle Brothers doing your fitting. I would be very concerned by the standard with the whole work.

All this stuff about your stone cills sounds like excuses for poorly measured windows allied with amateur fitters. If correct gaps have not been kept this could end up in frames becoming distorted. If silicone not used correctly to seal then damp issues too. Some 'professionals' will even just install a window with foam alone.

As said, you need to scrutinise everything or get an independent inspector in.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 5th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    thanks both

well they are returning this week to replace the unit and sort the other things. so fingers crossed.

i have a cheque ready so let's hope all will be ok,
    • Furts
    • By Furts 5th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Furts
    thanks both

well they are returning this week to replace the unit and sort the other things. so fingers crossed.

i have a cheque ready so let's hope all will be ok,
    Originally posted by surfsister
    Remember you need credit card protection, and all the more so in the light of your saga of problems. If you are paying Zenith without this protection then you are stark raving mad. Sorry to be so blunt, but do be very, very, careful here!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 7th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    thanks good point!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 10th Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    Breaking one glass can happen. Breaking 2 and then a replacement sounds like you've got the Chuckle Brothers doing your fitting. I would be very concerned by the standard with the whole work.

All this stuff about your stone cills sounds like excuses for poorly measured windows allied with amateur fitters. If correct gaps have not been kept this could end up in frames becoming distorted. If silicone not used correctly to seal then damp issues too. Some 'professionals' will even just install a window with foam alone.

As said, you need to scrutinise everything or get an independent inspector in.
    Originally posted by Box28
    thanks think I need an independent inspector. any ideas how I can find one. I am in Suffolk.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

2,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin