Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Midnight Tboy
    • By Midnight Tboy 19th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 401Posts
    • 77Thanks
    Midnight Tboy
    Future Energy bust, Green Star have no balance etc
    • 19th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    Future Energy bust, Green Star have no balance etc 19th Feb 18 at 12:41 PM
    Hi all.

I'm a bit stuck/stressed at this now.

I was with Future Energy (who have now gone bust)

On 24th jan I began a switch to another provider (Avro) - this according to documents due to start on 23rd Feb

On 25th Future I heard on radio that Future Energy now gone bust (lucky i'd downloaded my quarterly bills just 2 days before)

On 30th January, Greenstar emailed saying they are going to be the replacement provider for Future Energy (and that they'd be in touch by the 6th Feb with tariff etc details)

I received that info on the 6th, matching the previous Future Energy tariff. It also gave links to create my web account. I tried and was unable to access. I then several days later emailed Greenstar my meter readings as of that day, as on reading it suggested that they needed a valid reading.

Heard nothing since, so figured I'd call them, GreenStar, up.
    Provided my account info and ID....dialogue was a bit lost in translation unfortunately, but was told by them that they did not supply my Electricity, and only provide my Gas....presumably this is because Avro initiated the switch earlier than their stated day.

My last Future energy bill was over £250 credit from November, though including the payments since (but not including any of the fees for usage etc since over £460 credit)

So ok, it looks like the switch is partially complete to Avro, so asked about my credit. They have nothing on my account.

Popped on hold again for a while and the lady came back and said- apparently still getting info from Future Energy so no info on me (yet they seem to have already had my tariff and personal info!), and I should wait a couple of weeks

Anyone had similar or able to help? The letter GreenStar provided said my credit balance would be safe etc, but going by this, they've not got any info on me
Page 2
    • bigfer
    • By bigfer 14th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    bigfer
    just a quick update on my refund back via greenstarenergy. i decided to email ofgem as suggested above. they declined to intervene (spineless waste of skin), however greenstar rang me 5th may and said my refund would be with me within 7 working days.....and it was.....completely the wrong amount......but over 200 quid in my favour!! i even sent them the final bill from future energy to them on two previous occasions.

it just goes to show, these energy companies are either so clueless they go out of business or are having our eyes out to such an extent they can write off over 200 quid on a billing error......utter shambles.

so lesson learned, i will now underestimate my meter readings, such that i owe them and then settle up when i change supplier.

i now have the moral dilemma of returning the overpayment......hahahahahahahahahaha.......
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 6,598 Posts
    • 4,232 Thanks
    Hengus

i now have the moral dilemma of returning the overpayment......hahahahahahahahahaha.......
    Originally posted by bigfer
    I wouldn’t spend it too quickly. The supplier has 6 years in which to make a claim against you for repayment. I suspect that you already know this.
    • bigfer
    • By bigfer 15th May 18, 7:09 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    bigfer
    actually i did not, however given their total inability to maintain correct records, correspondence and general incompetance, i doubt they will be able to find their backsides with both hands and sat nav, let alone an overpayment from a year ago.

the money is available to them.......hahahahahahah
    • andrewmp
    • By andrewmp 16th May 18, 1:49 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    andrewmp
    just a quick update on my refund back via greenstarenergy. i decided to email ofgem as suggested above. they declined to intervene (spineless waste of skin), however greenstar rang me 5th may and said my refund would be with me within 7 working days.....and it was.....completely the wrong amount......but over 200 quid in my favour!! i even sent them the final bill from future energy to them on two previous occasions.

it just goes to show, these energy companies are either so clueless they go out of business or are having our eyes out to such an extent they can write off over 200 quid on a billing error......utter shambles.

so lesson learned, i will now underestimate my meter readings, such that i owe them and then settle up when i change supplier.

Originally posted by bigfer
    I reckon they (Future Energy) have no clue how much they owe people or how much people owe them. Their website was down for months before they went under - no bills were produced in that time iirc. I reckon they're guessing.
    • Datchet
    • By Datchet 6th Jun 18, 7:04 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    Datchet
    Same situation here - future energy went bust, Green Star, who are a shower, were credited with my balance then paid it all back to FE administrators, contrary to OFGEM Customer levy. Green Star are bloody liars and are making up a series of excuses and stone-walling me. I am awaiting a deadlock form and will be going via OFGEM to claim the balance back - Apparently they have a record of FE administrators.

Very unsatisfactory
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
    • apnorf
    • By apnorf 9th Jun 18, 3:33 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    apnorf
    I got a letter from Green Star stating that I was owed £55 from my Future Energy account and that I should contact them by either email or phone. I emailed them a while back and a few days ago I got a reply basically saying they couldn't deal with the problem by email and I should phone them. I called them and was asked to provide the final bill, I told them there had been no bills for MONTHS. The bloke said the Administrators were starting to contact former customers and would email me my final bill and I should send a copy to them (Green Star) and they would arrange repayment. I am now waiting for final bill to arrive from Administrators so I can claim the cash back. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by apnorf; 09-06-2018 at 3:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

977Posts Today

7,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Wow early days, only a couple of thousand of votes in, but so far the majority of both remainers and leavers on thi? https://t.co/qUMXXbeLOf

• RT @ej_mac: @MartinSLewis oh dear, how on earth do people come to such conclusions..... I voted leave, I read all Martins points and used t?

• Yay we have a poll bingo winner Everyone cross out your "hidden agenda/bias" squares on your cards https://t.co/LgPSfqzSB0

• Follow Martin