Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 18th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 5,926Posts
    • 20,474Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missyís debtfree seperation! Hugs & support needed
    • 18th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    Missyís debtfree seperation! Hugs & support needed 18th Feb 18 at 9:29 PM
    Hi,

Iíve been on the boards a while, and always got to much love and support. Of which I am in dire need of it now. I am in the process of a very messy separation with OH. Who is unwilling to accept it. I am in the process of moving out of the marital home into a rented house with DD May(4)and DS Roo(6) And also in the process of racking up huge credit card bills to pay for every day life until the benefit system kicks in and my solicitor can get Ex OH to pay anything.

Emotionally Iím not in the best place, but need to stay sane for the littlies. Will be moving out in a week or so and need to get all of my debts and finances in check. Just wanted some friends a long the way to keep me in the right side of crazy.

Much love

Missy x
Page 2
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 23rd Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I know the supermarkets come in from a lot of stick from us, but you might find that the big 4 a fruitful hunting ground for reasonably priced bedding and towels. Lidl's stuff can also be good, but of course depends on when the stuff is in. I can't say about Aldi as I've never bought any of their stuff.

If you are near an IKEA, that is often a good place for cheap kitchen equipment, especially their pots and pans and their cutlery. I got their cheap white crockery, but I've found that marked badly in use - still it might tide you over until you are able to afford something more to your liking.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 23rd Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 15,514 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Just get the essentials for now. You can build it up slowly over time. Remember the things you have in the joint home wasn't all got at once. It's built up over time and your new home will too.

Remember the bottle opener though

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 23rd Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 5,008 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Have you got a "B and M" near you? Or The Range? Cheaper kitchen equipment, bedding and towels etc can be bought there. When getting things for my DD for university, Te3co's did a reasonably priced range of kitchen items too.
    paydbx #93 £804.50/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 24th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks lovelies, will have a look at all of those places. Now I have a benefits type question, I literally have no idea, I have filled in the forms to claim child benefit and child tax credit (I think) Im going to be renting, so should I be able toget housing benefit too? IVe looked on line but it talks about if Im only claiming that or if Im claiming universal credit but Im not claiming universal credit and I am making a different benefits claim for child tax credits. I work but only 16 hrs and get paid just over thr tax threshold. Universal credit hasnt kicked in where I live yet. Any help is gratefully received. Oh and can I claim council tax back and how do I go about that too?

Thanks so much

Much love Missy x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 56,880 Posts
    • 231,723 Thanks
    beanielou
    Contact your local council on details on how to claim housing benefit & council tax benefit. You could google your local council & you may be able to claim online.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 1st Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thank you! Can I ask another question. I!!!8217;ve just received my fort children and working tax credits payment into my bank. But does that include my child benefit? Having never received it I have no idea if it!!!8217;s one lump sum!

The house is in a worse state than I thought, so wallpaper and paint are needed, have just ordered my sofa from dFS and a new carpet. I just want it to be perfect for the babies.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 1st Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 15,514 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    No child benefit is paid sperate to Tax credit.

If you use your tax account on the GOV site you can see your payments and what they will be etc.

Your local council should have a calculator that takes you through to filling a claim form in online. Worth trying you should get some help if you're working 16 hours

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • HoneyBee83
    • By HoneyBee83 1st Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    HoneyBee83
    MissyMoo81 - Single mummy here too. It can be quite a shock to be handling everything alone all of a sudden but it does get easier, I promise. I imagine it'll be an even greater pain if it is a bad break up and Ex is being a pain in the backside!
    Sending hugs your way

Child Benefit is paid separately to Tax Credits and goes in on a Tuesday - every 4 weeks. You should get 2 payments in May because of how the weeks fall.
    Working and Child tax credits get paid together. Once you have filled in paperwork etc make sure you set up an account on the Gov.UK website as you can see payment dates and amounts etc That'll help as you get used to a new budget etc They might have some helpful advise for you too
    Working 16 hrs you should get housing benefit which will be a separate payment (every fortnight I believe).
    It is a pain getting all the paperwork together (bank statements etc) but stay focused.
    Don't forget you will get 25% single person discount on council tax too and you can pick to spread the cost over 12 months if that makes money management easier.
    Last edited by HoneyBee83; 01-03-2018 at 1:11 PM.
    Emergency Savings #73 = £1,500/£2,000
    Savings Pot £1,440.00
    Xmas 2018=£100/£300 Australia =£0.00/6000
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 11,944 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hi Missy, I know that you want everything to be right for your babies but you do need to focus on needs rather than wants until you know what your finances are like. Easy for me to say and I know I would be the same with the boys but you have to be able to afford to feed them and keep them warm, even if the wallpaper is ugly.

How long is the lease on the rental? Investing in decorating and carpets for somewhere you rent needs to be a long term move. Might be better buying portable things to make it look prettier if its just a short term thing.

Are you still doing vegan with them? Have you found a good supply of reduced bananas near the new place?
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 20th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 15,514 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you're okay Missy

x
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 29th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey thanks lovelies. Im getting settled. Money and sorting bills is quite a strain. Seem to be spending a fortune and going to Tesco daily through ease! Need to nip that in the bud. Still need to finish decorating. IVe never had to manage bills its so hard to make ends meet. Food prices have gone up massively too. I can!t seem to get value porridge or pasta anymore at Tesco. Does anyone know if Aldi is still cheap for things like this? Any advice is much appreciated. Feeling pretty isolated. Ex is being a first class t&£t too. Roo and May are happy thats the main thing x
    Last edited by missymoo81; 29-03-2018 at 7:51 PM.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 29th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 11,944 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Aldee still have the value stuff, and some stupidly cheap veg this weekend. Good to see you posting.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 56,880 Posts
    • 231,723 Thanks
    beanielou
    Aldee still have the value stuff, and some stupidly cheap veg this weekend. Good to see you posting.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    FRom me too.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hi well, its all change here. IVe handed my notice in today as Im just not coping. IVe been diagnosed with aneamia, asthma and prediabetes which baring in mind Im a very fit 36 year old is a real kick to the stomach. Im not going to be claiming JSA. Im just going to try and get by on housing benefit, maintenance and tax credits. Things will be pretty tight but Im hoping I'll feel better for it. Need to get my food bill under control. As trying to eat low sugar low carb and its so expensive. Children are eating me out of house and home this Easter too. Trouble is I need brown rice and pasta and sweet potatoes and Im eating more fruit as eating less crap. Its all so expensive!

Will start posting more regularly again. Just seem to be so busy. Think Im going to cook chicken curry for dinner.

Hope youre all ok

X
    Last edited by missymoo81; 11-04-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 56,880 Posts
    • 231,723 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear of your heath issues.
    Keep plodding

***Keep plodding***
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    missymoo81
    And if anyone can offer advice on diabetes and what I should and shouldn!!!8217;t eat, I!!!8217;d be very grateful. As still waiting for a Drs appointment!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    • 56,880 Posts
    • 231,723 Thanks
    beanielou
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/home.

Have a wee look here.

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 11,944 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sorry about the health issues Missy, hate to say it but the fruit will not be helping however healthy it feels. My mum was pre for years which she managed through diet, she says no more than two portions a day and not bananas. Watch out for fruit juices/smoothies too as these can be very high in natural sugar.

There have been a few diabetes focused diets - very low calories, or low GI foods that might be worth a look.

Much sympathy from me.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Apr 18, 2:58 PM
    • 5,926 Posts
    • 20,474 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thank you beanielou snd redo! IVe had a look on the website and its all good stuff the trouble I have is Im not overweight and usually eat around 2000-2500 calories a day and I exercise a lot. Trying to get enough food to fuel me is really difficult. Im always hungry and am still craving sweet food. Its such a massive change for me and there is so little information for someone like me. Everything seems to be based around the overweight and the elderly. IVe already lost weight as I dont fancy eating the food Im allowed Sigh!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 11-04-2018 at 3:01 PM.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 4,873 Posts
    • 34,567 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry to hear about your situation Missy. Like the others I wondered why you'd stopped posting.

Good luck with claiming benefits. Things will get easier.

I have to say that I agree with Redo, it may be best to save your money for essentials rather than decorate and recarpet a rented house (don't mean to offend you ).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,723Posts Today

8,320Users online

Martin's Twitter