Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AG47
    • By AG47 17th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    • 805Posts
    • 162Thanks
    AG47
    Off grid living
    • 17th Feb 18, 8:46 PM
    Off grid living 17th Feb 18 at 8:46 PM
    New thread 2018 for buying some land cheap and just living there

There is the 4 year rule, https://youtu.be/621nP8oP1R8

Land is about £6K per acre now and you can build a very cheap dwelling nowadays.

Now get ready for all the doubters adamant that you just can't that......
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
Page 5
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 5th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ProDave
    The P.M just said we want to give planning permission to people who will actually build houses on the land,

We'll that's promising
    Originally posted by AG47
    That is aimed at stopping large builders "land banking" At the moment they keep on seeking PP for new developments when they have not started many that they already have PP for. The sceptics say by only building houses slowly they keep the price up and by sitting on land with PP stop other developers building on it.

What the PM is suggesting is one particular developer will not be allowed further PP if they are not even building the ones they have permission for already.

Of course all that will happen is a "different" developer will seek that PP instead so it may not speed anything up at all.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The P.M just said we want to give planning permission to people who will actually build houses on the land,
    Originally posted by AG47
    As opposed to building them in the sky??
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 5,162 Posts
    • 13,780 Thanks
    EachPenny
    What the PM is suggesting is one particular developer will not be allowed further PP if they are not even building the ones they have permission for already.

Of course all that will happen is a "different" developer will seek that PP instead so it may not speed anything up at all.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    Agreed, I can't see how this would work without a major change to planning laws. At the moment you don't even need to own land to apply for PP, so development companies could just set up (even more) subsidiaries to own individual plots of land.

Thus "EachPenny Developments678 Ltd" might already have PP for this piece of land, but that doesn't stop "EachPenny Developments679 Ltd" from applying for PP on the bit next door.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 5th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 9,599 Posts
    • 10,669 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    to quote a self sufficiency guru...

Words are anchors for sense experience, but the experience is not the reality, and the word is not the experience. Language is thus two removes from reality. To argue about the real meaning of a word is rather like arguing that one menu tastes better than another because you prefer the food that is printed on it...To come to believe that the external world is patterned by the way we talk about it is even worse than eating the menu - it is eating the printing ink on the menu. Words can be combined and manipulated in ways that have nothing to do with sensory experience.

- John Seymour
    Or in other words, "actually I'm talking complete b*ll*cks when i say I'm self sufficient but I'll disguise that with some clever word play".
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 5th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

Those kids are just ten minutes old, and mum has washed them and they've already fed. I can't say I care about much else at the moment, least of all a poor argument. Oh, and now they are all kidded, I get to sleep tonight - for a change.
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    What's going to happen to the kids?
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 5th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath

Or in other words, "actually I'm talking complete b*ll*cks when i say I'm self sufficient but I'll disguise that with some clever word play".
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    No. He was one of the leading self-sufficiency 'gurus' (been dead for a few years now). He did practice what he preached. His books on the subject are good too.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 5th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 9,599 Posts
    • 10,669 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    No. He was one of the leading self-sufficiency 'gurus' (been dead for a few years now). He did practice what he preached. His books on the subject are good too.
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    But I'm wholly self sufficient as well.
    My income more than covers my outgoings.
    Whether i get my income from investments, "working for the man", being self employed, or selling eggs from my chickens and my home made dream catchers at craft fairs, and whether i obtain my shoes by trading cash with Clark's Shoe shop or eggs with the local cobbler, is merely a matter of detail.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 5th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 5,190 Posts
    • 6,994 Thanks
    spadoosh

I doubt it, it was written in a book about communication, i dont think it references self sufficiency once.

As mentioned self sufficient is an ambiguous term. Sorry thats just the way the world is. Like, im big, what you couldnt tell me is if im bigger than you or not.
    Me saying i want to be self sufficent doesnt mean the same as another person saying the same thing (just like two people saying im big).

In the modern world, im sure youll agree to have everything the average brit has it would be extremely difficult to be 'self sufficient' in the literal sense. I have the aim of being as self sufficient as possible. However i like the internet. To use such a thing is completely reliant on others thus not self sufficient. Most people could work out that someone saying they want to be self sufficient are using a bit of ambiguity. Lets not forget maslows heirachy of needs (comapnionship/love/belonging) makes literal self sufficiency a literal impossibility. In fact there isnt an organism on this planet that could be described as self sufficient using the literal definition.

But then it is a lot easier than saying:

I want to grow my own vegetables and collect seeds. I want to rear and cull my own animals, excel in their husbandry, produce and preserve the food whilst using their byproducts to produce other items such as clothing. I want to grow and harvest my own fuel and maintain and build my houses systems. I want to build my own home.

And thats a very much shortened version of the requirements for literal self sufficiency, focusing on needs as opposed to would likes, like the internet.

Im usually in favour of such a fastidious approach. But it just doesnt work with ambiguous terms though.
    Don't be angry!
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 5th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    I doubt it, it was written in a book about communication, i dont think it references self sufficiency once. ...
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Ah! There is a different (or was) John Seymour who was a self-sufficiency advocate. As the conversation was taking about self-sufficiency I thought you meant this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Seymour_(author)
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 5th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    But I'm wholly self sufficient as well.
    My income more than covers my outgoings.
    Whether i get my income from investments, "working for the man", being self employed, or selling eggs from my chickens and my home made dream catchers at craft fairs, and whether i obtain my shoes by trading cash with Clark's Shoe shop or eggs with the local cobbler, is merely a matter of detail.
    Good for you.

But I am sure that you can tell that in this context of the thread we are talking about self-sufficiency in terms of off-grid living and growing one's own food and living in the woods.

Not sure how your post relates to the context of the thread at all.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 5th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 5,190 Posts
    • 6,994 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Ah! There is a different (or was) John Seymour who was a self-sufficiency advocate. As the conversation was taking about self-sufficiency I thought you meant this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Seymour_(author)
    Lmao, i know who youre talking about, ive got a fair few of his books, including one called.... 'neuro linguistic programming' (after reading through a recommended book list.) from which the quote is from. Just turns out its not the same John Seymour!!!

What a tool!

I bought thinking it was the same guy (im apparently a really bad fan!), ive always thought it a bit odd to go from 1 acre gardens to whats essentially a motivational speaker book i just assumed it was a sideline.

Cant stop laughing at myself.

At least the quote was apt.

Wheres the face palm smiley?!
    Don't be angry!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 5th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 8,710 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    What's going to happen to the kids?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Please,
    won't anyone think of the kids?

Worry not. They are a rare breed, and there's already a waiting list wanting them, for homes where they will be used for conservation grazing and guard duty! They chase foxes....

Not that I don't love a souvlaki... But there's bu99er all meat on those, and they'd beat me in a knife fight.

Little Beelzebub is doing very well, constantly escaping from his pen, and keeping me company. Mum then moans until I poke him back!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 25,283 Posts
    • 93,001 Thanks
    Davesnave
    As they're a living example of 'how not to do it,' I'm reporting that the mud house couple were still in residence this afternoon. I didn't need to visit them to discover this; I just drove along the A377.

Mind you, they've stretched the council's 'out by Christmas' quite nicely, but then, which council evicts people at Christmas?

Saw goat for sale in Sainsburys Alphington a few weeks ago. It's not been regularly offered to northern consumers in the county yet, so far as I know.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 05-03-2018 at 7:14 PM.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 5th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Please,
    won't anyone think of the kids?

Worry not. They are a rare breed, and there's already a waiting list wanting them, for homes where they will be used for conservation grazing and guard duty! They chase foxes....
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Well that's a pleasant surprise!
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 5th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 8,710 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Should be on sale - if only to order in some branches - at Sainsbury and Waitrose.

Delicious it is, too!

{... just not from my herd, where the Bagots just eat and bosh... happy times....}
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 5th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Lmao, i know who youre talking about, ive got a fair few of his books, including one called.... 'neuro linguistic programming' (after reading through a recommended book list.) from which the quote is from. Just turns out its not the same John Seymour!!!

What a tool!

I bought thinking it was the same guy (im apparently a really bad fan!), ive always thought it a bit odd to go from 1 acre gardens to whats essentially a motivational speaker book i just assumed it was a sideline.

Cant stop laughing at myself.

At least the quote was apt.

Wheres the face palm smiley?!
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    To be honest I though the same thing from other way. John Seymour wrote linguistic books! I thought he was more into spuds and rearing pigs

I have his The New complete book to self-sufficiency books which is great.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 6th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 9,599 Posts
    • 10,669 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Good for you.

But I am sure that you can tell that in this context of the thread we are talking about self-sufficiency in terms of off-grid living and growing one's own food and living in the woods.

Not sure how your post relates to the context of the thread at all.
    Self sufficiency and off grid living are two different things. I could live "off grid" with my own well, composting toilet and solar power, and work in the city every day.

Growing ones own food, well that's pretty much impossible unless you have a severely restricted diet / and you work at it full time, like a peasant in medieval times. You could grow some food but then again so can anyone.

Living in the woods? Is that necessary to deluded self sufficiency?
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 06-03-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    • AG47
    • By AG47 7th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    AG47
    Who are you talking about?
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 71,097 Thanks
    Judi
    .... sounds too much like Railroad Alaska to me.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • AG47
    • By AG47 26th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    AG47
    There are so many land owners who want to build houses on their land but are finding it hard to get permission
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,233Posts Today

8,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin