Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 17th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,400Posts
    • 492Thanks
    kah22
    PIP in Northern Ireland
    • 17th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    PIP in Northern Ireland 17th Feb 18 at 9:40 AM
    Hi, I helped a friend fill in her DLA to PIP Form a number of weeks back. We pushed hard and got a paper based assessment.

Anyway Iím wondering how long she should have to wait to get a decision. The DfC said 6-8 weeks, while information Iíve been reading online suggests 4-6 weeks, admittedly thatís across the water

I know that claimants here in the North are getting hammered at these assessments, see the Spotlight review sometime back

Can anyone say what the figures are like for those receiving paper based assessments and if Capitaís financial problems has had any affect on the assessments

Kevin
    Illegitimi non carborundum
Page 1
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 17th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 17th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    Hi, I helped a friend fill in her DLA to PIP Form a number of weeks back. We pushed hard and got a paper based assessment.

Anyway I!!!8217;m wondering how long she should have to wait to get a decision. The DfC said 6-8 weeks, while information I!!!8217;ve been reading online suggests 4-6 weeks, admittedly that!!!8217;s across the water

I know that claimants here in the North are getting hammered at these assessments, see the Spotlight review sometime back

Can anyone say what the figures are like for those receiving paper based assessments and if Capita!!!8217;s financial problems has had any affect on the assessments

Kevin
    Originally posted by kah22
    What you are after may be on this link https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmworpen/829/829.pdf
    But why don't you raise a question on https://www.whatdotheyknow.com

Here's the stats for the UK as a whole
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/666525/pip-statistics-to-october-2017.pdf
    With the following referring to N. Ireland http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/work-and-pensions-committee/pip-and-esa-assessments/written/73585.pdf
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 17-02-2018 at 2:09 PM.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 17th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    • 17th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    • 17th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    Thank you for your response. I had discovered most of what you suggested but the Green Party never crossed my mind
    I suppose what Iím trying to find out is how members, their family and friends got on when applying for PIP herein the North. Official stats are all very well but there is nothing to beat individual response. Youíre all the old saying: there are lies, dam lies, and statistics !

Paper based assessments seem pretty uncommon across the water, Iím wondering if itís the same here. My friend has a chronic mental health problem
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 18th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Sambella
    • 18th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    • 18th Feb 18, 12:29 AM
    Things seem to move quicker here in NI. A friends Mum was told their wait would be 6-8 weeks from her face to face interview but she had her decision in around 3 weeks.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 18th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    • 18th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 18th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    Things seem to move quicker here in NI. A friends Mum was told their wait would be 6-8 weeks from her face to face interview but she had her decision in around 3 weeks.
    Originally posted by Sambella
    Thatís what Iíve heard the PIP people said 6-8 weeks while from the people at BenefitsAndWork were saying about 4-6, and its coming up on four now and because of my friendís vulnerability Iím beginning to feel anxious for her. Here is what the BBC had to say about PIP in NI.

That said I suppose there is little we can do but wait, then take it to the next level
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 18th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 4,309 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 18th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 18th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    My friend has a NHS pension .He was awarded low rate DLA a few years ago then they took it of him .He applied for PIP .They came out to his house to assess him and the told them every detail .He has now been awarded mid rate DLA for 5 years
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • kah22
    • By kah22 20th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    • 20th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 20th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    Just thought Iíd pop back and let you know what is happening. Hopefully the information will be of interest to those in a similar situation. We received the message below from DfC on the 12 March while the process for my friend began officially on 11 January
    We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 4 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you.
    The wait continues

Kevin
  • archived user
    • 21st Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 21st Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    Was 3 weeks for me.
    I lost part of what I got with DLA. Was surprised when 3 months later I got a letter from DFC saying they were giving me a sum similar to what I'd lost for 1 year. I didn't even know this existed and is only in NI.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 21st Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    • 21st Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 21st Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    It was part of the deal made when SF refused to implement the change from PIP to DLA.

Benefits was a devolved matter but is now back in Westminster hands
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 6th Apr 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    How did this work out?
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/spottylegs
    • kah22
    • By kah22 6th Apr 18, 11:04 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    How did this work out?
    Originally posted by Cherryscone
    No word yet but she did receive a letter from the ESA people telling her that according to new information they had received she was in the support group. Iím hoping that Ďnew informationí has come from PIP but the letter was posted on the 5 April the beginning of the financial year

Iíll let you know when we get definite news
    • kah22
    • By kah22 10th Apr 18, 8:30 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    First of all my apologies as this is a longer message than I normally post.

My friend has received her PIP award; standard rate care at £57.30 week and no help for mobility. The award to March 2021. As mentioned in other posts the assessment was paper based and the condition was Bipolar.

We now turn to whether or not to look a mandatory review, she has received 11 points; that 1 extra would make a difference. I should say that while she will go for a MR but not to a Tribunal but weíll not be saying that.

In their ĎHow I made my decisioní section the DM stated that Ďthey used information provided by the letter from your psychiatrist. This comment I find particularly interesting: ĎThe information provided by the telephone advice from your psychiatrist . From what Iíve been reading this seems to be uncommon ie they contacting the psychiatrist. I would imagine this is something I should ask for specifically in a SAR: . What advice did he give? They didnít mention the GPís letter or the support letter from myself.

While I appreciate that a mandatory review may look at all descriptors in the hunt for that extra 1 point I would be homing in on the following. Preparing Food, Eating and Drinking, Reading, Communicating and Making Decisions about Money

Preparing food. 2 from 8 For this activity she was awarded 2 points for needing prompting. However, I feel that they did not take into account her assertion that: Ď It is not safe for me to use the hob because when in bipolar depression I cannot concentrate enough to complete the task and when in a manic state working with boiling water and naked flames becomes dangerous.í Should that pass the reliability test? Not been able to do it safely. She has actually burned herself on a few occasions. I also feel that they should have given weight to motivation, concentration, and distraction.

Eating and Drinking. 0 from 8 I feel they should have considered her lack of motivation because of deep depression and the tiredness. Again all mentioned in her application.

Reading 0 from 10 In her submission she stated that when she gets Ďa letter from say Benefits people telling me e.g. about a change in benefits I am getting I have to get help in understanding this Form and what various parts of it means or which applies to me. The main part of why I needed help here was because I just couldnít concentrate and I became very tired and depressed and afraid I will loose my benefits.í Could the likes of that possibly cover 8 c or d.

Communicating: 0 from 10. The DM said they decided that she can express and understand verbal information unaided While my friend is more likely to be in a depressed state she wrote that when she is manic she talks at lighting speed and constantly changes subjects. But when she is on a low she just does the bear minimum of talking. She very seldom uses the telephone. When on a high she has got violent and struck me, all this was mentioned in her form.

Making budgeting decisions. 2 from 6 For those with bipolar this, I think, is a big one. The points were for making complex budgeting decisions but in her submission she gave three examples of how she treats money, this was when she was on a high. £80 clothes form second hand shop, £500 to a nephew getting married and £40 to a beggar in the street.

While I will go through the other descriptors these, I feel, would be her strongest points, but please if you have any suggestions about PIP and Bipolar share them.

I would be interested in your views and what the next step should be. That 1 extra point would make all the difference.

Kevin
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 10th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    First of all my apologies as this is a longer message than I normally post.

My friend has received her PIP award; standard rate care at £57.30 week and no help for mobility. The award to March 2021. As mentioned in other posts the assessment was paper based and the condition was Bipolar.

We now turn to whether or not to look a mandatory review, she has received 11 points; that 1 extra would make a difference. I should say that while she will go for a MR but not to a Tribunal but weíll not be saying that.

In their ĎHow I made my decisioní section the DM stated that Ďthey used information provided by the letter from your psychiatrist. This comment I find particularly interesting: ĎThe information provided by the telephone advice from your psychiatrist . From what Iíve been reading this seems to be uncommon ie they contacting the psychiatrist. I would imagine this is something I should ask for specifically in a SAR: . What advice did he give? They didnít mention the GPís letter or the support letter from myself.

While I appreciate that a mandatory review may look at all descriptors in the hunt for that extra 1 point I would be homing in on the following. Preparing Food, Eating and Drinking, Reading, Communicating and Making Decisions about Money

Preparing food. 2 from 8 For this activity she was awarded 2 points for needing prompting. However, I feel that they did not take into account her assertion that: Ď It is not safe for me to use the hob because when in bipolar depression I cannot concentrate enough to complete the task and when in a manic state working with boiling water and naked flames becomes dangerous.í Should that pass the reliability test? Not been able to do it safely. She has actually burned herself on a few occasions. I also feel that they should have given weight to motivation, concentration, and distraction.

Eating and Drinking. 0 from 8 I feel they should have considered her lack of motivation because of deep depression and the tiredness. Again all mentioned in her application.

Reading 0 from 10 In her submission she stated that when she gets Ďa letter from say Benefits people telling me e.g. about a change in benefits I am getting I have to get help in understanding this Form and what various parts of it means or which applies to me. The main part of why I needed help here was because I just couldnít concentrate and I became very tired and depressed and afraid I will loose my benefits.í Could the likes of that possibly cover 8 c or d.

Communicating: 0 from 10. The DM said they decided that she can express and understand verbal information unaided While my friend is more likely to be in a depressed state she wrote that when she is manic she talks at lighting speed and constantly changes subjects. But when she is on a low she just does the bear minimum of talking. She very seldom uses the telephone. When on a high she has got violent and struck me, all this was mentioned in her form.

Making budgeting decisions. 2 from 6 For those with bipolar this, I think, is a big one. The points were for making complex budgeting decisions but in her submission she gave three examples of how she treats money, this was when she was on a high. £80 clothes form second hand shop, £500 to a nephew getting married and £40 to a beggar in the street.

While I will go through the other descriptors these, I feel, would be her strongest points, but please if you have any suggestions about PIP and Bipolar share them.

I would be interested in your views and what the next step should be. That 1 extra point would make all the difference.

Kevin
    Defo ask for a MR they seem to be giving 11 points to a lot of people and do ask about what The Dr said because It is Rare for Capita to contact One .

• kah22
    • By kah22 11th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    For anyone intending to request a MR of their PIP claim or going to a Tribunal you might find this helpful

The easiest way to request a SAR is by e-mailing PIP.FOI@NISSA.GSI.GOV.UK

Alternatively, you may wish to write to:

Margaret Wainwright
    Data Protection Officer
    PIP Centre
    5th Floor
    Castle Court
    Belfast
    BT1 1HR
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 17th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    K80 Black
    I should say that while she will go for a MR but not to a Tribunal but weíll not be saying that.
    It's not uncommon for the MR to be turned down, then when you say you'll go to the Tribunal they have a change of heart, phone you and offer you a higher award. That's exactly what happened to me, and after lurking on the disability forum for a while, I'm not alone. If you have no luck with a MR, appeal it anyway - worst case scenario is they set a date for a Tribunal and you say the stress is too much and back out.

Good luck!
    • kah22
    • By kah22 17th Apr 18, 11:41 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    It's not uncommon for the MR to be turned down, then when you say you'll go to the Tribunal they have a change of heart, phone you and offer you a higher award. That's exactly what happened to me, and after lurking on the disability forum for a while, I'm not alone. If you have no luck with a MR, appeal it anyway - worst case scenario is they set a date for a Tribunal and you say the stress is too much and back out.
    Good luck!
    well I had that in mind !!!129299;

Readers might be interested in THIS POST I put on the main Forum. I be interested in the NI take on it
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 20th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    I am at Present waiting for an upper Tribunal.

• kah22
    • By kah22 20th Apr 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    kah22
    I am at Present waiting for an upper Tribunal.
    Originally posted by Cherryscone
    IThe Upper Tribunal. If you donít mind me asking whatís the case? PM me if you like

Iím asking because Iím going to have to submit our review shortly. rember itís Bipolar. Hers the scores
    Preparing Food. 2
    Eating and Drinking. 0. Not surprised
    Mananging Treatments. 1
    Washing and Bathing 2
    Managing Toilet Needs. 0 Didnít claim here at all
    Dressing and Undressing 2
    Communicating 0. This is an issue worth pushing, I think Yes?
    Reading 0 again not surprised but would like to here opinions
    Mixing With Other People 2
    Making Budgeting Decisions (complex) 2 No simple decisions
    Zero points for mobility. Iíd like to make a case here if only for the reviews theyíll be making later on
    I havenít had my written results or SAR back yet
    All on a paper based assessment. Any suggestions
    • Mossfinn
    • By Mossfinn 27th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mossfinn
    I have recently moved over from DLA to PIP. I received a notification letter between Xmas and New Year, I rang, answered some basic questions and was sent the detailed questionnaire. A week or so after returning it, I received a letter informing me about an assessor visiting me at home at the end of January.

Six weeks later I received a letter informing me I had been awarded enhanced level for both mobility and careers allowance. The careers allowance was a level higher than DLA.

For those going through the process, I have to say that it can be daunting. The language and tone of the official letters along with the negative opinions surrounding PIP create a lot of fear. However, the assessors are independent and very fair. They certainly don!!!8217;t act as if they are trying to find reasons to fail you.

All in all, the process was professional and smooth and I don!!!8217;t think people should be unnecessarily worried
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 27th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    I have recently moved over from DLA to PIP. I received a notification letter between Xmas and New Year, I rang, answered some basic questions and was sent the detailed questionnaire. A week or so after returning it, I received a letter informing me about an assessor visiting me at home at the end of January.

Six weeks later I received a letter informing me I had been awarded enhanced level for both mobility and careers allowance. The careers allowance was a level higher than DLA.

For those going through the process, I have to say that it can be daunting. The language and tone of the official letters along with the negative opinions surrounding PIP create a lot of fear. However, the assessors are independent and very fair. They certainly don!!!8217;t act as if they are trying to find reasons to fail you.

All in all, the process was professional and smooth and I don!!!8217;t think people should be unnecessarily worried
    Originally posted by Mossfinn
    You were very Lucky even get seen at Home ,a lot of us had to travel to a centre and were watched from the Instant we arrived In the Car park,I am happy you had a Good out come but a lot don't Most People who did get Mobilty Have lost It They give them 10 points or Zero .

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

3,866Users online

Martin's Twitter