Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natasha1987
    • By Natasha1987 16th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Natasha1987
    0 WOW
    First Trip To LA and Tips For Days Out Needed
    • 16th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    0 WOW
    First Trip To LA and Tips For Days Out Needed 16th Feb 18 at 8:54 PM
    Hey Guys,

I am hoping you can help. Me and my boyfriend are off to LA soon and it is our first ever trip. I have had a look online to see what there is to do and I am so overwhelmed with all the different places etc that I thought I would ask you lovely people for some help.

We are in LA for two weeks and hope to travel up the coast road to San Fransico to see Alcatraz and the Golden Gate bridge. Then travel back to LA for a few days and then drive to Las Vegas for a night and see the grand canyon etc.

I would like to spend a day at Disney or Universal movie studios but I am not sure if this is all possible on a short trip and what else there is to offer. What are you recommendations? Are there any nice rooftop restuarants with amazing views we should visit? Likewise are there anything you'd say to avoid.

We're driving over there too... is it ok?

Many Thanks for reading this and any advice given.

Natasha x
Page 2
    • John259
    • By John259 23rd Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    John259
    Hoover Dam is roughly 30 miles from Las Vegas and well worth a visit. You can view the outside of the dam fairly quickly, or take a tour which obviously is longer.

Valley of Fire State Park is about 55 miles away. It really needs a whole day, or at least a long half day, so for that reason you might not regard it as a priority. It's good, but personally I'd allocate the time to Yosemite instead.

A drive down the Las Vegas Strip in the evening to see the lights is a superb experience not to be missed.

The subject of the US budget motel chains is often a very emotive one with opinions differing considerably. I'd suggest trying one or two and seeing what you think but some other people wouldn't ever use them. (It's a bit like attitudes to Aldi and Lidl.) You can search for motels in Google Maps, for example:
    https://goo.gl/maps/ydtS3dTUBa12
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • Natasha1987
    • By Natasha1987 23rd Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Natasha1987
    Are there any con artist tricks about in these big cities that we should keep an eye out for or avoid?
    • John259
    • By John259 24th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    John259
    Are there any con artist tricks about in these big cities that we should keep an eye out for or avoid?
    Originally posted by Natasha1987
    I can't think of anything specific but I don't spend much time in cities. Just take the usual precautions that you would anywhere and you should be fine.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 24th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 9,406 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I never came across any and ive done 2 big off the beaten track (and back on it !) road trips in the USA. Generally i found Americans really decent honest people.
    Last edited by C_Mababejive; 24-02-2018 at 7:52 PM.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 24th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    phatbear
    its the same as any big city that tourists visit.

on a trip a couple of years ago i only experienced a couple of incidents which was people trying to shove cd's on to you, whist explaining its them singing and they want you to support an up and coming artiste, 99% of the times these cd's will be blank.

Also just as we were taking the car back to LAX we parked up to get food and was approached by a quite well dressed chap who claimed his car had been clamped and he needed another $5 dollars to get it released and he had to pick his kids up etc etc, oddly when we filled the car up just before returning it the same fate had beset another chap at the petrol/gas station too.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • John259
    • By John259 24th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    John259
    This is worth five minutes of your time I think. The advice it offers about a California road trip is pretty good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm8MB8P0Zh0
    • Natasha1987
    • By Natasha1987 1st Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Natasha1987
    Ok and I guess the last question is what areas are quite rough/dangerous should we avoid in:

1. Los Angeles
    2. Las Vegas
    3. San Francisco

Thanks Everyone x
    • Natasha1987
    • By Natasha1987 9th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Natasha1987
    I've just got back from my holiday and wanted to thank each and everyone of you who posted on this thread. Your advice was super helpful and I wanted to thank you by letting you know how we did our trip and what we saw.

Ok, so over the course of 2 weeks we drove over 2,500 miles!

The first three days we stayed in Anaheim/LA area and went to Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, Disneyland & Universal Studios. Then on Day 4 we drove to Las Vegas and stayed at the Palazzo Hotel, we spent the day/night exploring the strip and the next day we drove to the Grand Canyon in Arizona and went on the sky walk. On the way back to vegas we stopped off at the Hoover Dam and then headed back for our final night in Las Vegas. The next day we headed back to our hotel in Anaheim and took a detour and drove for a while on the historic route 66. The following day we took a day off of driving and took a tour of Hollywood (Walk of fame), Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive and back down to venice beach/santa monica pier. The next day we started our drive up the pacific coast highway towards san francisco. We stopped overnight half way up at the Moonstone Landing Inn and continued up to san francisco the next day, stopping off on the way at Monterey Aquarium and then finally arriving at our Hotel (The Pick Wick) in San Francisco. The next morning we headed off early and visited Alcatraz Island. Then we went to Pier 39 and drove across the Golden Gate Bridge and down the famour lombard street and visited the painted ladies houses. The next day we headed off back to Anaheim but stopped overnight again at Yosemite National Park (Where it was snowing) and trekked around and saw Mirror Lake. The next day we headed back to our Hotel. The following day we went to San Diego Zoo and then on the final day before the flight we went to Los Angeles National History Museum and The Science Centre.

We packed a lot into the two weeks but it was amazing. We really enjoyed each and everyday. One day driving through the Nevada Desert and the next in the snowy mountains of Yosemite. I think my favourite part of the journey was San Francisco and San Diego Zoo. I was expecting to love Las Vegas but when we got there it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped.

Thank you so much for all your help x
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 9th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 9,406 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Ok and I guess the last question is what areas are quite rough/dangerous should we avoid in:

1. Los Angeles
    2. Las Vegas
    3. San Francisco

Thanks Everyone x
    Take the same precautions you would take in any big city in the UK.

In the places you mention, stick to the core busy /tourist areas especially so at night.

Dont carry loads of money or bling and try not to look like a tourist.

Most of all,in the highly unlikely event that someone corners you and wants to rob you, DO NOT fight back..throw what you have at them and escape if possible.

An acquaintance was mugged in SFO one night, struggled,got knifed and died..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Apr 18, 7:02 AM
    • 13,022 Posts
    • 8,549 Thanks
    photome
    Take the same precautions you would take in any big city in the UK.

In the places you mention, stick to the core busy /tourist areas especially so at night.

Dont carry loads of money or bling and try not to look like a tourist.

Most of all,in the highly unlikely event that someone corners you and wants to rob you, DO NOT fight back..throw what you have at them and escape if possible.

An acquaintance was mugged in SFO one night, struggled,got knifed and died..
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    maybe read the whole thread
    • markandkate
    • By markandkate 10th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    markandkate
    You can walk over the Golden Gate Bridge or hire bicycles and you get amazing views of the city. You can then follow the road down into Sausalito which have a lovely small town Mediterranean feel to it and then get the ferry back to Pier 1. You pass Alcatraz and get a free harbour cruise for a fraction of the price
    • gt568
    • By gt568 10th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    gt568
    We really liked 6 flags magic mountain.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 12th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 9,406 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    maybe read the whole thread
    Originally posted by photome
    Great,well am really pleased that Natasha had a Fab holiday in the USA. Its a great country and the people are generally very welcoming and friendly. Of course there is good and bad anywhere so other readers can benefit from all the input.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin