Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 16th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 236Posts
    • 98Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Sky to increase prices for some...
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    MSE News: Sky to increase prices for some... 16th Feb 18 at 12:06 PM
    Some Sky broadband customers will see the price of their monthly contracts rise on 1 April...
    Read the full story:
    'Sky to increase prices for some broadband customers in April'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 01-03-2018 at 4:54 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Has anyone got a 0800 number to phone Sky for this purpose please
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    Anyone with Sky talk can call the 0345 CS number free.
    • creative-2008
    • By creative-2008 4th Mar 18, 8:49 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    creative-2008
    I don't know about a freephone number, but you can email mysky@sky.uk and they will phone you back if they need to talk to you.

Notice is considered served from the day you send the email.

I've just done so because their cancellations/retentions department was closed tonight

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/remove-a-package-or-cancel-your-subscription
    • editor1
    • By editor1 5th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    I have a few weeks to decide if I'm leaving Sky, who have increased our 17Mbps BB, phone & Anytime calls cost to 23 a month.

I keep checking deals and cash back sites, to date nothing appears at a lower price point.

Have tried the online chat route complaining, utter failure as Retentions chap was India-Call centre based and requested did i desire him to begin Cancellation process.

Where are the decent deals, most seem PAYG now for phone, which is fine if on mobile contracts, not fine if still use landline only, as many pensioners still do.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have a few weeks to decide if I'm leaving Sky, who have increased our 17Mbps BB, phone & Anytime calls cost to 23 a month.

I keep checking deals and cash back sites, to date nothing appears at a lower price point.

Have tried the online chat route complaining, utter failure as Retentions chap was India-Call centre based and requested did i desire him to begin Cancellation process.

Where are the decent deals, most seem PAYG now for phone, which is fine if on mobile contracts, not fine if still use landline only, as many pensioners still do.
    Originally posted by editor1
    It's 8 a month for Sky AnyTime calls so you're getting the BB/LR for 15 a month which is a good deal nowadays, given cash back sites are never a given I'd be happy with that if the BB's fast enough.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 5th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    It's 8 a month for Sky AnyTime calls so you're getting the BB/LR for 15 a month which is a good deal nowadays, given cash back sites are never a given I'd be happy with that if the BB's fast enough.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Colin,

Just doing a few more searches, best I can come up with, as far as instructing Sky I wish to cancel, is a Now Broadband deal with Anytime calls, cost structure is 26 a month, set-up fee of 9.99 and Quidco cash back of 70, making it 21 a month for a 12 month contract if cash back actually is redeemed/paid out, which is never guaranteed.

However, at least i have a lowest benchmark to go back to Sky - was happy with Sky matching lowest deal possible online in January, namely a monthly fee of 21.99 a month, now increased to 23, so if could get 21 a month with Sky, why bother moving?
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Have to agree - line rental plus bband and Anytime calls for 23 is very hard to beat and seems a good deal to me
    • editor1
    • By editor1 5th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    Have to agree - line rental plus bband and Anytime calls for 23 is very hard to beat and seems a good deal to me
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Lets put it this way, I was happy with 21.99, which as a Retention deal was not brilliant to begin with compared to what others were offered in the January/February time line.

However, even 23 quid a month is cheaper than most of what is currently offered and my mother demands Anytime calls as part of any deal.

Still, if I don't chance my arm, will not get anywhere, but fact is unlikely to move as folks are not technically minded and are unable to set up the router. Mind you, the folks don't even make use of Broadband, basically it just for mine and my daughters use when we visit Granny's.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Mar 18, 10:32 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Still, if I don't chance my arm, will not get anywhere, but fact is unlikely to move as folks are not technically minded and are unable to set up the router. Mind you, the folks don't even make use of Broadband, basically it just for mine and my daughters use when we visit Granny's.
    Originally posted by editor1
    Won't hurt to ask for sure, when the LR went up to 18.99 from 17.40 last year not long after I re-negotiated I got them to put an additional 1.49 discount on the account to offset it.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 6th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    Won't hurt to ask for sure, when the LR went up to 18.99 from 17.40 last year not long after I re-negotiated I got them to put an additional 1.49 discount on the account to offset it.
    Colin,

Finally managed to get a slot on online chat at Sky after a 2 hour wait, explained that unhappy with price increase and instructed Sky that Now TV broadband promotion means could get BB, phone and Anytime calls for 20 quid - this is a fact. Sky call back with counter offer, namely my expected price of 23 a month has been reduced to 16.99 a month, that's a 6 quid saving, so now on a far better deal than that arranged two months ago.

Last week Sky retentions team not interested, this week a monthly saving of 6 quid offered. Very happy with this and no complaints.

Moral of tale, if get a price increase notification moan, and if at first you don't succeed, do moan again to a different person. It obviously helps to have actual price offers from other ISPs, and ensure you base calculations on all cash backs.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 6th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 1,797 Thanks
    bagand96
    Definitely worth getting in touch with them via the online chat. I was paying 18.99 for Broadband and Line rental. I was only 7 months into a 12 month contract - which I'd got on a great cashback/giftcard deal.

Without too much effort at all they offered me 8.99 a month for 12 months. Great deal - cheaper than a new provider.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 6th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    Definitely worth getting in touch with them via the online chat. I was paying 18.99 for Broadband and Line rental. I was only 7 months into a 12 month contract - which I'd got on a great cashback/giftcard deal.

Without too much effort at all they offered me 8.99 a month for 12 months. Great deal - cheaper than a new provider.
    Originally posted by bagand96
    Great saving that, however, my folks like their Anytime calls, so if add 8.00 on to your figure, we come out equal - quite happy as folks paying less than 12 months ago on the SME Sky 12 quid deal, and that had cash back from Sky and TCB, all paid out - we went for the top-end router though, which was not free.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 6th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 9,639 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I used Chat link given in earlish part of HDUK thread

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-broadband-incl-line-rental-11-retention-2904673?page=3#thread-comments

Having joined SKY middle December following BT price increase - 70.00 Quidco/50.00 reward card, 18.00 a month ADSL with 19.99 set up fee/one off costs.

Initially on Live Chat I was offered 13.99 a month until mid December then 25.00 a month until new 12 month contract ends - 12 months from now)

After pleading quoting other new customer offers I was offered 13.99 a month for 12 Months, I didnt want to go to Plusnet due to poor dynamic IP changes/problem with Plusnet IPs showing as not in UK, didnt want to go to Talk Talk for apparent reasons and current BT ADSL offers after incentives equate to around 14.50 a month

"Ill quickly summarize what we discussed on the chat today. ....., you came on the chat to cancel Sky Talk and Broadband due to price increase. After going through your account I have offered you a discount of FREE for 12 months on your Sky Broadband Unlimited + Sky Talk Line Rental for 5 for 12 months which you were happy to accept and the same will be applied to your Sky Talk and Broadband package after 72 hours and the T&C and bill has also been explained. Have I answered all your questions to your satisfaction today?"

Plusnet due a price increase in the summer if that influences any decisions .......
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 06-03-2018 at 7:26 PM.
    Often what I dont say is more significant than what i do say ........
    • freespirit
    • By freespirit 7th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    freespirit
    Leaving SKY while cashback is pending.
    I'm waiting for my 70 at Topcashback, for joining SKY BB, to go from pending to paid. The 11 weeks estimate is up. I joined on 20th Nov, are they prolonging paying me in order to see if I leave them, I wonder? It made me hesitate as to what to do. The 30 days from the day I got the notification email is 26th March, so I might wait until next week and see if there are any better offers, and possibly risk the 70 being denied
    • editor1
    • By editor1 8th Mar 18, 5:16 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    I'm waiting for my 70 at Topcashback, for joining SKY BB, to go from pending to paid. The 11 weeks estimate is up. I joined on 20th Nov, are they prolonging paying me in order to see if I leave them, I wonder? It made me hesitate as to what to do. The 30 days from the day I got the notification email is 26th March, so I might wait until next week and see if there are any better offers, and possibly risk the 70 being denied
    Originally posted by freespirit
    Depends on what service you are on, but folks are getting fast fibre deals and Anytime calls for 20 quid, or BB, Line and Anytime Calls for 11 quid - both prices being dirt cheap if you can get them: Try this link: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-broadband-incl-line-rental-11-retention-2904673?page=7#comment-33397326
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 10th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    gener8or
    Im also wondering how to play this, I ordered 6th December, 70 TCB is still sitting at pending, now says estimate payable 26 weeks, that would take me to June.
    I had the price rise email today, only affected by calls, I understand I only have to give notice to leave within 30 days, I don't believe you then have to leave within the same time.

I also had the 50 prepaid card.
    Could we give notice and wait for cashback before actually swapping provider?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Mar 18, 12:37 AM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 19,092 Thanks
    mije1983
    I understand I only have to give notice to leave within 30 days, I don't believe you then have to leave within the same time.
    Originally posted by gener8or
    When BT put their prices up last year, when I phoned to give my notice they said I had 30 days from that point to move away.

When you tell the ISP you are leaving due to the price rise you are effectively cancelling the contract (which usually requires 30 days notice) so if you are hoping to hang on with Sky until June even after giving your notice this month, I doubt they will let you.

• freespirit
    • By freespirit 11th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    freespirit
    cashback extended pending!
    Im also wondering how to play this, I ordered 6th December, 70 TCB is still sitting at pending, now says estimate payable 26 weeks, that would take me to June.
    I had the price rise email today, only affected by calls, I understand I only have to give notice to leave within 30 days, I don't believe you then have to leave within the same time.

I also had the 50 prepaid card.
    Could we give notice and wait for cashback before actually swapping provider?

Interesting idea! I'm still looking into it and trying to figure out what to do.
    Just logged into Topcashback, and the pending wait has gone up from 11 weeks to 26 weeks!! Lol, I guess they'll be denying it if I leave then!
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 12th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    gener8or
    Interesting idea! I'm still looking into it and trying to figure out what to do.
    Just logged into Topcashback, and the pending wait has gone up from 11 weeks to 26 weeks!! Lol, I guess they'll be denying it if I leave then!
    Mine has also gone from 11 to 26 weeks. I only had the price rise email last week so got a bit of time to let them know.
    Had a look through the Terms, it only says give notice within 30 days not to leave.

Think I'm going to hang out for the TCB to go payable then leave them.
    • freespirit
    • By freespirit 12th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    freespirit
    Mine has also gone from 11 to 26 weeks. I only had the price rise email last week so got a bit of time to let them know.
    Had a look through the Terms, it only says give notice within 30 days not to leave.

Think I'm going to hang out for the TCB to go payable then leave them.
    I read the thread on hotukdeals, and have been trying to get through to the overseas Sky customer help to ask for the best price they would offer for me to stay with them. I've had the chat window open for over 3 hours, 'Connecting...'! Oh well, might try again tomorrow. Good luck with your plan
    • phillw
    • By phillw 13th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    phillw
    BT told me I had 14 days from when I gave them notice to actually switch. I don't think you can give notice in 30 days and then switch away in 90 days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,651Users online

Martin's Twitter