Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 15th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 11Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    More G24 Breach of Contract letters in Scotland
    • 15th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    More G24 Breach of Contract letters in Scotland 15th Feb 18 at 6:43 PM
    New thread requested - here goes:

I got an invoice from G24 on 17/08/2017 for the very same B&M car park (£90) in Falkirk that has been previously discussed. I read a lot of the thread then and kept, but didn't respond to it. I'm the registered keeper.

I received a 2nd letter (final notice) from G24 in October and just the other week got one from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd (DRP) from one Jennifer Jordon (£150 now) with the much quoted line: 'In certain circumstances, liability can be transferred to the registered keeper.'

So I think it's fair to say that G24 and whomever they get to act on their behalf are not being held to account by DVLA for still sending letters out that aren't accurate.

For those that haven't read other threads on this subject, My understanding of what's been said so far is this... the law is different in Scotland. The most G24 can legally do, is invite a registered keeper to share with them who the driver was. The registered keeper is not legally obliged, under Scottish Law, to provide any details of who was driving the car and that the registered keeper should not reply in any way to the letters they receive from G24 or the sub-contracted companies who write chasing the registered keeper for money.

I'm up for getting on to DVLA if the experts on this forum think I should. If anyone has already written to them and wants to share how they worded the e-mail, we can all use it and the e-mail address of anyone in particular that's on the hook for this particular problem (that's been shared on the other thread; apologies for asking for it again).

As I see it, the DVLA needs to add some steps to their process of issuing keeper details to parking operators, that being "where did the alleged breach of contract take place?" and make the response a dropdown box (assuming this is all done online) - as soon as they pick 'Scotland' the request should be automatically refused. (I'm probably living in a dream world, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me, for DVLA to do this as it would save them from being bombarded with e-mails about this (I'm hoping anyone who has received a lovely letter, at any car park in Scotland, where cowboy parking companies operate, will jump on this particular bandwagon and hold DVLA to account for the part they play.

The letters received so far: hxxps://xxx.dropbox.com/s/e7sw007ad4qvnnh/G24_DRP_ltrs_Redacted.pdf?dl=0

I've made a request on hxxps://xxx.whatdotheyknow.com/ for a FOI to the DVLA using the questions suggested on another post and added a bit myself.

To the knowledgeable people who have supported other threads of the same nature, please can you tweak my link urls (ooh err) and... I would like to know if at any point, I should correspond with G24 or DRP and if yes, what I should say? For now, I'm sitting tight and saying nothing to either of them and have no plans to break the silence unless well advised.

Page 2
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 20th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    Yes but don't we all know to ignore debt collector's drivel?
    Originally posted by KeithP

They make for a fun read (yep, sad I know ) and hopefully I too will get the opportunity to use them for something far more useful in due course. As advised in the newbies thread/stickie, I'll be keeping them for 5 years.
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 20th Feb 18, 1:07 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    We all know that DRP are a bunch of idiots and live
    in cloud cuckoo land.

Desperate extortion monkeys living in desperate times
    with scamming parking cowboys.

Dear oh dear, do these idiots really expect you to believe
    in their utter rubbish, anyone would think they are the
    brains of the outfit

FOR THE 1000th plus times, IGNORE DRP THEY ARE
    SIMPLY TIMEWASTERS
    Originally posted by beamerguy

I heard you the first time I will not respond to either of the companies.
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 20th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    Hi all - quick update.

Received a final letter from a letter from DRP and now a new debt collection company - Zenith Collections of Ashton Under Lyne. I've scanned them and uploaded a copy to the growing file of letters I've received (kindly linked by KeithP earlier on). Zenith offered to drop the cost to £127.50 if I cough up - erm that's still a no! Still not playing your game G24!

Happy Friday everyone :-)
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 20th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    • 3,342 Posts
    • 5,146 Thanks
    fisherjim
    Hi all - quick update.

Received a final letter from a letter from DRP and now a new debt collection company - Zenith Collections of Ashton Under Lyne. I've scanned them and uploaded a copy to the growing file of letters I've received (kindly linked by KeithP earlier on). Zenith offered to drop the cost to £127.50 if I cough up - erm that's still a no! Still not playing your game G24!

Happy Friday everyone :-)
    Originally posted by pearlsofwisdom
    If you look at the bottom of your Zenith letter you will see it's actually DRP in disguise still a scam ignorable load of waffle!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 20th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 4,114 Posts
    • 4,987 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Yep, and is an object lesson in READING letters, and not jumping to the conclusions they want you to jump to.
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 21st Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    You're so right. I didn't spot it on that letter, but when I got home there was another letter from them (their timing is spooky lol) and in the tiniest writing on the envelope is a return to ’DRPL....’ and I thought to myself ”no way, is it? Could it be?”. You've answered that for me with a resounding and clear YES IT IS. I'll scan the latest drivvle and upload it, so others can see the tactics being used. The choice of language has changed again. They talk loosely about prosecution themselves rather than going back to their client, G24 with that recommendation. Yawn!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Apr 18, 12:26 AM
    • 64,896 Posts
    • 77,458 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    This isn't new, this from six years ago on here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3829727

Yawn indeed!
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 23rd Apr 18, 7:42 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for matchy-matchy signatures now too.
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 21st May 18, 4:35 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    Gladstone Solicitors letter
    Hi all - now received a letter from Gladstones on the back of the second letter from Zenith Collections I mentioned before (sorry for the slow uploads). I've not seen anything in the press about any changes in the law for Scotland yet. Has anyone else? Is the advice still to keep but continue not to reply to the letters? I remember reading something about Gladstones (not too flattering), but wonder if there's anything new I should know, or read about for Scottish parking issues with G24/DRP/Zenith/Gladstones. I promise I'm not being a lazy whatsit, but the Forum's a bit of a minefield of information and my brain's kind of blown. Not to mention that I'm still pooping myself at the thought of ending up in court, if I get this wrong.

Page 7/8 2nd letter from Zenith. Page 9 Gladstones letter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7sw007ad4qvnnh/G24_DRP_ltrs_Redacted.pdf?dl=0
    • Redx
    • By Redx 21st May 18, 4:39 PM
    • 20,319 Posts
    • 25,690 Thanks
    Redx
    no change , nothing new , S.S.D.D.

the best advice for you in Scotland is still the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread

for Scotland , ignore anything except sheriff court papers (simple procedures)

and post #4 , IGNORE debt collectors applies to all regions of the UK

just because a letter is headed GLADRAGS SOLICITORS, doesnt make it true

its true if the ref starts with a 1 and says to pay gladrags themselves , not DRPL or any other debt collectors (who may have actually sent it)
    Last edited by Redx; 21-05-2018 at 5:04 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 21st May 18, 4:42 PM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 11,789 Thanks
    KeithP
    Post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread is still up to date.

It says:
    Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, DO NOT BE ALARMED BY ODD POSTS SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD 'NAME THE DRIVER'...FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THIS IS NOT THE MAJORITY VIEW AND SIMPLY ABANDONS THE DRIVER (USUALLY A FAMILY MEMBER) TO THE PARKING SHARKS, WITH A LESS STRONG DEFENCE. CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM. IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS.
    Your most recent letter is a debt collector's letter - from DRP.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 20,522 Posts
    • 32,440 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    It's a DRP letter using G's letterhead (look who you have to pay). Ignore it.

G24 have never ventured into a courtroom in England or Wales where it's infinitely easier to pursue parking cases than in Scotland, so why on earth would they start doing so in a Sheriff Court in Scotland.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, Gladstones have never been anywhere near a Sheriff Court in the context of a private parking charge.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 21st May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    Thanks guys - I genuinely appreciate your taking time to reply and provide these nuggets of information. The reference on 'gladrags' (love that) letter starts with a 4.

I find your comment about the letter possibly not being issued directly by Gladrags interesting as the letter says not to contact Gladrags because it '... may not be considered'.

They state that the right to take action in a Civil Court is theirs for 6 years. The newbies thread says to keep all the letters for 5 years. I don't mind keeping it all for 6 years, but I'm interested to know if 'gladrags' have got their number wrong... does anyone know?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 21st May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 11,789 Thanks
    KeithP
    They can chase a debt for up to six years in England and Wales but for five years in Scotland.

The Limitation Act 1980 and Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 refer.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 20,522 Posts
    • 32,440 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I'm interested to know if 'gladrags' have got their number wrong... does anyone know?
    https://www.scotlanddebt.co.uk/articles/personal-debt/statute-barred-debt-scotland

Confirms further that DRP are just dishing out standard England and Wales only templates.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • pearlsofwisdom
    • By pearlsofwisdom 21st May 18, 5:01 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    pearlsofwisdom
    for info... retailer were no help at all when we showed the first 'fine' letter and went to them for an explanation as the driver had no clue it was time restricted parking. Very much a polite, but, 'not our problem' response. No receipt kept. Paid in cash.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 21st May 18, 5:09 PM
    • 9,638 Posts
    • 12,709 Thanks
    beamerguy
    pearlsofwisdom

Seriously, you must not take any notice of the
    Gladstones rubbish, pimped out letterheads and
    DRP is the base level they run their business on.

Doubt Gladstones would venture near Scotland,
    they have enough problems being whooped in
    the south
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Redx
    • By Redx 21st May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 20,319 Posts
    • 25,690 Thanks
    Redx
    it also shows how stoopid DRPL are in sending out template drivel that is dubious in E & W to people in Scotland with misleading information on them , never mind the pimped out letterhead

this is one way we can tell it is DRPL drivel, because they threaten E & W points of law to a country that has different laws and rules in some cases, and seeing as they have had 38 years to get it right you would think they would do by now

pay peanuts , you get monkeys

I would say that if anything were to change it would be as a result of the new PPN Private Members Bill by Sir Greg Knight , which until we see the details we wont know , plus we wont know if its retrospective or not
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • jimmuck
    • By jimmuck 11th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmuck
    Any update on this?
    Thanks guys - I genuinely appreciate your taking time to reply and provide these nuggets of information. The reference on 'gladrags' (love that) letter starts with a 4.

I find your comment about the letter possibly not being issued directly by Gladrags interesting as the letter says not to contact Gladrags because it '... may not be considered'.

They state that the right to take action in a Civil Court is theirs for 6 years. The newbies thread says to keep all the letters for 5 years. I don't mind keeping it all for 6 years, but I'm interested to know if 'gladrags' have got their number wrong... does anyone know?
    Originally posted by pearlsofwisdom
    Can you give us an update on this? How did it play out? Did you get any more letters?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 4,876 Posts
    • 6,314 Thanks
    waamo
    Can you give us an update on this? How did it play out? Did you get any more letters?
    Originally posted by jimmuck
    There's no need to spam the board asking the same question over and over to people that haven't been back.

If you have an issue start your own thread.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

3,095Users online

Martin's Twitter