Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helptobuy18
    • By Helptobuy18 14th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Helptobuy18
    Solicitor questions
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    Solicitor questions 14th Feb 18 at 10:34 PM
    Hello all,

I'm now at the next step of buying my first house (who'd of known it would have been this stressful) offer accepted, mortgage accepted. From what I gather all that needs to be done is the conveyancing, searches and a homebuyers survey. Now my dad is helping with my deposit, and the solicitor wants evidence we have the cash. Do you think if he transferred me the cash I could just show them my account with the monies or does it need to be in there for a set period of time, say 3 months worth?

Just out of curiosity how long did it take you to get into your house from the stage I'm at?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 14th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,271 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    Your solicitor will have to carry out money laundering checks on you. Seeing a large deposit appear will make them ask questions.

The best person to speak to is your solicitor. When I!!!8217;ve dealt with gifted deposits they also check the accounts of the person making the gift. Some solicitors also ask that the person making the gift transfers it to them (the solicitor).
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 15th Feb 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:15 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:15 AM
    To be honest, I'd have got the survey done by now (I get it done before spending any money).

Is the chain complete? This is what usually causes any delays. Your survey should be done in a week, and the report with you a week later, searches take up to 4 weeks but usually less. It depends how many questions your solicitor has re the contract and how quickly your buyers get back to them. Average offer to exchange time is 12 weeks.
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 15th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    If your solicitor is aware that your dad is gifting you some money towards the purchase, then your dad will have to write and sign a letter explaining that he is gifting you x amount which is non refundable, that he is solvent and will have no claim on the property. The solicitor will want to see your dad's ID and a copy statement showing the account with the money in and the account from which it will be transferred. It may be that your dad can transfer it to you, but the solicitor will want copy statements showing the transactions from and to your account. There isn't a time limit on how long the money sits in an account, but obviously it must be with the solicitor in time for exchange (if it's the deposit he's gifting you).
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 7,371 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    As above it doesn't matter whose account the money is in, the solicitor will just be looking x months back to see statements to make sure it is your dad's money. If you want to know exactly what they'll need, ask them - there aren't standard requirements.
    Last edited by davidmcn; 15-02-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 4,266 Thanks
    martindow
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    The solicitor will want to see your dad's ID and a copy statement showing the account with the money in and the account from which it will be transferred. It may be that your dad can transfer it to you, but the solicitor will want copy statements showing the transactions from and to your account.
    Originally posted by Tiglet2
    Maybe money laundering regulations have changed but this wasn't necessary when I gave my son some money four or five years ago.

I just wrote a letter using wording provided by the mortgage provider, signed it and sent it off.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 7,333 Posts
    • 7,371 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    Maybe money laundering regulations have changed but this wasn't necessary when I gave my son some money four or five years ago.

I just wrote a letter using wording provided by the mortgage provider, signed it and sent it off.
    Originally posted by martindow
    There are of course solicitors who don't do their jobs properly...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

831Posts Today

7,181Users online

Martin's Twitter