Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjv
    • By cjv 14th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 107Thanks
    cjv
    Shared Ownership strategy on New Build Premiums
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    Shared Ownership strategy on New Build Premiums 14th Feb 18 at 10:32 PM
    I have been looking into shared ownership recently as a potential route as a first time buyer.

This got me thinking, will it make financial sense to buy the smallest possible share on a new build until the new home premium dissipates and then staircase? even if you can afford a much larger % at the initial purchase, or will the rent part you pay before increasing your ownership share counter any potential gains from this strategy?
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 14th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 2,627 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    This is difficult to really answer as there are so many variables.

As you say, the amount you pay in rent might negate any saving. You will also have potentially rising property prices (and if these rise at a higher rate than the !!!8216;new build premium!!!8217; wears off then you will be out of pocket). You!!!8217;ve also got potential legal and admin costs every time you staircase.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 14th Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    cjv
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:12 PM
    This is difficult to really answer as there are so many variables.

As you say, the amount you pay in rent might negate any saving. You will also have potentially rising property prices (and if these rise at a higher rate than the !!!8216;new build premium!!!8217; wears off then you will be out of pocket). You!!!8217;ve also got potential legal and admin costs every time you staircase.
    Originally posted by da_rule
    Good points, interesting. I would not let this affect my decision on how much of a share to buy it is just something I was pondering. I think it will always be a gamble if considering this strategy akin to trying to time the stock market.

With plans to stay in a home for a long time I would just chuck my money in at a comfortable share and hope for the best
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

7,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin