The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Is there anything I can do?

I've just gotten a letter from the court for a judgement against me for a £3000 (original amount about £2100 but they have added interest and fees) debt at my current address for a debt that would have been about 2 months away from being statute barred. I would be willing to pay but couldnt pay all at once. I haven't had any other paperwork apart from this and suspect it has went to an old address, but they have obviously got my new address to send this letter to.

Is there anything I can do to not get a CCJ? After a bad relationship I'm just starting to get my finances sorted and was hoping to be in a position to buy a house within a couple of years? Is there any chance I would be able to get a mortgage in a couple of years with a CCJ?
Make £10 per day-
June: £100/£300

Comments

• The way to have avoided the CCJ would be not to let it get to this point in the first place. Ignoring it in the hope it would disappear was always going to be a very irresponsible idea.

Can you pay immediately? If so you can apply to have the CCJ removed.

If not, the best you can hope for is a set aside, you'd need to pay for this and hope that the judge accepts your reason for not responding (if the court sends out paperwork it is deemed to be received). Then the claim will not go away, it will just start again, so unless you pay up you'll still have the CCJ and even more costs.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Autumnella wrote: »
    Is there anything I can do to not get a CCJ?

Pay it within a month of it being granted. Do that and it is removed and is as if it never happened.
  • Well, the obvious is to have not gotten it - were you aware that the £2100 was on there and owing and just trying your luck that it would drop off?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure