Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HomelessChump
    • By HomelessChump 14th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 4Thanks
    HomelessChump
    HTB - Overpay mortgage or buy more %?
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    HTB - Overpay mortgage or buy more %? 14th Feb 18 at 7:25 PM
    Hello folks,

I own a flat with a 40% HTB equity loan and I have four years left until the interest payments kick in on that 40%.

Fortunately, my salary has increased since I bought the flat and I have a decent amount of money spare at the end of the month. I should put some of this into the property but I'm not sure whether it would be better to (a) increase the monthly mortgage payments on the 60% or (b) use the extra affordability to increase my mortgage and reduce the size of the HTB loan.

The HTB calculator suggests I could now just about increase my share from 60% to 90%. My property is in a decent location in London so the value of the 40% that HTB has an interest in is likely to continue increasing (unless Brexit tanks the economy!) and the amount that I could buy off HTB will steadily reduce.

Does anyone have any advice? If there isn't a clear right answer to this then I'll just leave the existing arrangements alone and overpay on the mortgage.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,309Posts Today

8,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin