Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 14th Feb 18, 6:38 PM
    • 187Posts
    • 84Thanks
    Bath cube
    Two paid over?
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:38 PM
    Two paid over? 14th Feb 18 at 6:38 PM
    The company I have worked at for 17 years this may has been bought out by another insurance giant. We have been told that staff will be two paid over but what does this mean?. Myself and my colleagues are going to a union meeting regarding this next Tuesday. I'm worried that this could mean possible redundancies.
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 4,881 Posts
    • 5,213 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    It's not Two Paid it's TUPE. Here is information about it. https://www.tssa.org.uk/en/Your-union/your-workplace/employment-rights/tupe--a-guide-to-the-regulations.cfm
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 15th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 4,675 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    Never heard it pronounced Toupee but that would be oddly apt.
    • Living Bate
    • By Living Bate 15th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Living Bate
    • 15th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    yes its TUPE and in my experience it can be quite unpleasant....

site operatives probably have it a bit better than office staff.....office staff are often surplus to requirement at the new place...

i've known people who've had to turn up at an office where they know they aren't wanted just so they don't have grounds to sack them
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 19th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 19th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    The company I have worked at for 17 years this may has been bought out by another insurance giant. We have been told that staff will be two paid over but what does this mean?. Myself and my colleagues are going to a union meeting regarding this next Tuesday. I'm worried that this could mean possible redundancies.
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    It simply means that for a while, you'll get paid twice - by your old company and also by the new one.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 19th Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    • 5,792 Posts
    • 6,680 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 19th Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    It simply means that for a while, you'll get paid twice - by your old company and also by the new one.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    quite funny but tut tut!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 19th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 19th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    quite funny but tut tut!
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict

That'll be Two Tut
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 19th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 6,122 Posts
    • 29,493 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 19th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    That'll be Two Tut
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    I've had a bad day. That was very silly. Thank you
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 19th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 19th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    One thing to watch out for - you may find that you get over-taxed on your first pay packet with the "new" employer (i.e. the insurance company who has bought you out) as HMRC may interpret the change as you having two jobs. I seem to recall this happening to one or two colleagues when we were TUPEd...

Hopefully not a massive problem as the issue should be corrected in the following month's pay run, but it's worth being aware of.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 19th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    BooJewels
    One thing to watch out for - you may find that you get over-taxed on your first pay packet with the "new" employer (i.e. the insurance company who has bought you out) as HMRC may interpret the change as you having two jobs.
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    That shouldn't happen. My husband's job requires him to do a lot of TUPE transfers and he says that when it's done properly and procedure is followed, the transition should be seemless - HMRC have their own methods for dealing with it and he's never had anyone with tax issues at all through a transition.

What might happen if the transfer takes place mid pay period, is that you may get two pay slips. One from the old employer for half a month and another from the new for the remainder.

What he did advise the OP to do is to get out their original contract of employment and familiarise themselves with the details, as the new employer cannot offer you a contract on less favourable terms. For example, if the new employer only offers SSP for illness, but your current contract offers you full pay for a month and 6 months on half pay (or whatever), then the new employer has to offer you exactly the same terms. They also must honour your service record, so if you have earned additional holiday days or other perks as a result of being there 17 years, they also apply.

You may need to fill in new paperwork for HR purposes, so that they can put your details on to their own payroll system, but he urged you most strongly NOT to sign a new contract until you are absolutely sure that the terms are identical. His own policy when inheriting staff is to not raise a new contract for at least a month, so everyone is settled and sure that they're staying (some simply don't want to work for the new company and see it as a chance to move on) and then he copies the terms of their contract into a new one in the new employer's format and gets them to sign it.

Even if you don't have your personal copy to hand, your old employer are obliged to forward a copy to the new company.
    Last edited by BooJewels; 19-02-2018 at 9:09 PM.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 19th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 5,117 Posts
    • 8,321 Thanks
    Gavin83
    yes its TUPE and in my experience it can be quite unpleasant....

site operatives probably have it a bit better than office staff.....office staff are often surplus to requirement at the new place...

i've known people who've had to turn up at an office where they know they aren't wanted just so they don't have grounds to sack them
    Originally posted by Living Bate
    Itís my experience that the parent company use it as an opportunity to keep the best staff from both companies by combining the departments and shrinking it after, making redundancies. Possibly good if youíre excellent at your job, not so much if you arenít.

They are likely to favour existing staff though so if youíre in the bought out company youíll have to work extra hard.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 21st Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 4,675 Thanks
    robatwork
    Is that older chap on Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away wearing a TUPE?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

2,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin