Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 16Thanks
    caspar9
    House Sale Ad
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    House Sale Ad 14th Feb 18 at 5:58 PM
    I know that decent photos on a house sale advert can go a long way to attracting buyers but I am reluctant to have my personal goods on display to the world especially so when the pictures will outlive myself on the Internet. I'd rather the house pictures were more anonymous.

I have three options:
    a) Show all rooms as unfurnished
    b) Photoshop some furniture items in the pictures to indicate possible layout
    c) Buy some cheap household junk to make the place look more attractive

Which option might attract the most viewers to the property? I should also add I am planning to sell at 10-15% below valuation to hopefully get a quick buyer so maybe pictures aren't that important.

Any opinions gratefully received
Page 2
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 14th Feb 18, 10:49 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    "but dont tell us which one you pick in case anyone finds out."

• Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Bearing in mind:
    I am an oddball.
    Originally posted by caspar9
    Is this wise?:
    Unfortunately, I am doing all of the viewings.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 15th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    Bearing in mind:

Is this wise?:
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    I was only poking fun at myself. I am quite normal and ordinary really. I am just an intensely private person.

I am doing the viewings myself as when I have viewed properties in the past Estate agents haven't been able to answer the simplest of my questions or have lied about the property or the vendor's position.

I am the person who is best able to represent the property and its history. I am intending to mostly give people a quick tour and then allow them plenty of time to wander about by themselves being on hand to answer any queries.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 10,337 Posts
    • 13,381 Thanks
    hazyjo
    ...and then allow them plenty of time to wander about by themselves being on hand to answer any queries.
    How do you know they're not taking their own photos and sending them on to local burglars... they may nick stuff. I hope you have an inventory.

Seriously though, not sure why you don't want your stuff showing in the pics but are happy for viewers to see it (and be left alone with it!). If you replace it with "a load of cheap tat from a home furnishing shop", surely that won't be showing your property in its best light. Sounds horrible and I'm sure most people would form the same opinion.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2,568 Posts
    • 6,878 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Please can you tell me what is so special about your life so I can see if that is the life I am supposed to get
    Related question, what is so special about your life that house hunters aren't allowed to even see your very special furniture?
    Last edited by Red-Squirrel; 15-02-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 15th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9

Seriously though, not sure why you don't want your stuff showing in the pics but are happy for viewers to see it (and be left alone with it!).
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    I don't have a problem with strangers viewing my stuff in pictures or in person. There are just some people who I want to prevent from viewing the inside of my house. I have chosen to just take the photos minus any furniture or other belongings to keep things as simple as possible.

I don't have a giant house. I am happy to lurk in the background so that viewers get a proper look. The Van Gogh will be in the loft so there won't be much worth taking.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 15th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    pinklady21
    "There are some people who(m) I want to prevent from viewing the inside of my house."

Why? have you got someone else's stuff in there and you don't want them to find out???
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 15th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 6,118 Posts
    • 5,908 Thanks
    eddddy
    I am doing the viewings myself as when I have viewed properties in the past Estate agents haven't been able to answer the simplest of my questions or have lied about the property or the vendor's position.

I am the person who is best able to represent the property and its history. I am intending to mostly give people a quick tour and then allow them plenty of time to wander about by themselves being on hand to answer any queries.
    I guess different people have different preferences.

I'm always happier when the EA says they will be showing me a property. I find that some vendors lie much more readily (and much more stupidly) than any EA.

Also, I don't have to pretend to like the vendor's dog. I can move a sofa away from the wall to see if it's hiding a damp patch. I can lift up rugs that have put in strange places to see what they're hiding. I can tap plaster to see if it's blown. I can open windows to see if they stick. Etc.

It's easier to do that kind of stuff with the EA there, rather than the vendor.
    Last edited by eddddy; 15-02-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 10,337 Posts
    • 13,381 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I don't have a problem with strangers viewing my stuff in pictures or in person. There are just some people who I want to prevent from viewing the inside of my house. I have chosen to just take the photos minus any furniture or other belongings to keep things as simple as possible.
    I'm so intrigued LOL. Fifty Shades of Grey, anyone?

I don't think photos of an empty house make things simple. I think it makes it far harder to sell and generally they look unloved. There will be dents and patches where furniture once was - and it will arouse suspicion as to why there would be furniture in when I viewed.

I'd ask if you'd rented it out to which you'd say no and I'd say something to my OH once I'd left about it not adding up and why would there suddenly be furniture in there. Just a bit weird.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin!
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 15th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    "

Why? have you got someone else's stuff in there and you don't want them to find out???
    Originally posted by pinklady21
    Yes, most of it belongs to John Lewis but they already know I have it.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I was only poking fun at myself. I am quite normal and ordinary really. I am just an intensely private person.
    Fair enough!
    Choose a decent EA to represent your property then, there are plenty out there, and make sure they're well briefed on the property itself and the situation.
    Best of luck
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 15th Feb 18, 1:06 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Having done a few viewings with vendors OP its been alright. Its better in some ways, only worse if the vendor does want you to like their dog or has a ton of clutter so you cant properly examine the house. So down to the skill of the vendor how well a viewing can go. If vendor doesn't let the potential buyer actually view the house properly then will be hard to get offers.

From negotiation point of view its better if you have negotiation skills, read up on negotiation tactics, some want to talk price there and then.
    Last edited by PokerPlayer111; 15-02-2018 at 1:09 PM.
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 15th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    "Yes, most of it belongs to John Lewis but they already know I have it."

...So maybe they want it back?
    This just gets funnier and funnier..
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 15th Feb 18, 6:38 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9

...So maybe they want it back?
    Originally posted by Kittenonthekeys
    Maybe there is an opportunity here to make some cash and get new things. Do you think John Lewis would refund the cost of a five year old leather sofa?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,568 Posts
    • 6,878 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I don't have a problem with strangers viewing my stuff in pictures or in person. There are just some people who I want to prevent from viewing the inside of my house.
    Are you in the witness protection programme?
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 16th Feb 18, 4:35 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    Are you in the witness protection programme?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I'm a relative of Greta Garbo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

857Posts Today

7,165Users online

Martin's Twitter