Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 16Thanks
    caspar9
    House Sale Ad
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    House Sale Ad 14th Feb 18 at 5:58 PM
    I know that decent photos on a house sale advert can go a long way to attracting buyers but I am reluctant to have my personal goods on display to the world especially so when the pictures will outlive myself on the Internet. I'd rather the house pictures were more anonymous.

I have three options:
    a) Show all rooms as unfurnished
    b) Photoshop some furniture items in the pictures to indicate possible layout
    c) Buy some cheap household junk to make the place look more attractive

Which option might attract the most viewers to the property? I should also add I am planning to sell at 10-15% below valuation to hopefully get a quick buyer so maybe pictures aren't that important.

Any opinions gratefully received
Page 1
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    Chose the last 2 of those options and you're likely to end up here. Chose the first and you're going to have to find somewhere to store these personal goods which are so secret and precious you don't want them photographed. And you know what? Someone might see them there too....

Seriously?!? Stop over-thinking things and get yourself out a bit more too. As long as your stuff is clean and tidy, no-one will really care what it is.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 6,122 Posts
    • 5,927 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    Photoshopping anything is likely to open a can of worms. Some people might argue that you are trying to mislead (e.g. trying to make a room look bigger by using an undersized image of a sofa). At the very least, you would have to state very clearly that they are not genuine photos.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:54 PM
    Sorry but I can think of at least a dozen people who I never want to view my belongings regardless of where they are stored.

I'm intending to take the photographs myself. I am competent graphic artist so should be able to show the rooms to their best light.

I don't need to hide all my stuff from the viewers. All of the furniture and other stuff will be on show for viewings.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    Photoshopping anything is likely to open a can of worms. Some people might argue that you are trying to mislead (e.g. trying to make a room look bigger by using an undersized image of a sofa). At the very least, you would have to state very clearly that they are not genuine photos.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    That is an excellent point. I was thinking of using wire frames to indicate positions but this could be misleading as well. It is probably best left as a blank canvas.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    My biggest bug bear is the use fisheye lens to make the rooms look bigger. Saw one like that and I just left, more a box room than a bedroom. Waste of my time tbh
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 14th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    A or C. Not B.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 14th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    OP you actually have another option.

4. Get a life
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 14th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    OP you actually have another option.

4. Get a life
    Originally posted by bobbymotors
    sorry it should be

d. Get a life
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 7,349 Posts
    • 7,397 Thanks
    davidmcn
    That is an excellent point. I was thinking of using wire frames to indicate positions but this could be misleading as well. It is probably best left as a blank canvas.
    Originally posted by caspar9
    Be careful you don't make yourself appear to be an oddball to potential buyers. They may be concerned about what else you'll be weird about in the transaction.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 9:47 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    sorry it should be

d. Get a life
    Please can you tell me what is so special about your life so I can see if that is the life I am supposed to get
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    Be careful you don't make yourself appear to be an oddball to potential buyers. They may be concerned about what else you'll be weird about in the transaction.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Unfortunately, I am doing all of the viewings. There is little chance of people not noticing that I am an oddball. It can't be helped.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    I'm sorry, I genuinely don't understand. Why wouldn't you want people to see your furniture? I've heard of people hiding expensive stuff and personal stuff like photos (hence the suggestion about boxing those things and putting them in a storage unit or in a place you won't be photographing like the attic), but I've never thought of furniture as being personal.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    I actually don't have a problem with the furniture apart from one or two individual distinctive pieces which is why I considered buying a load of cheap tat from a home furnishing shop to make it look normal.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Sorry but I can think of at least a dozen people who I never want to view my belongings regardless of where they are stored.

I'm intending to take the photographs myself. I am competent graphic artist so should be able to show the rooms to their best light.

I don't need to hide all my stuff from the viewers. All of the furniture and other stuff will be on show for viewings.
    I'm not convinced a competent graphic artist would every consider photoshopping furniture into photos on a house advert.

davidmcn makes a very good point.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9

davidmcn makes a very good point.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I refer you to post #14
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 14th Feb 18, 10:12 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Think twice about selling below EA valuation:

1. EA will already account for buyers likelihood to offer under asking and so slightly inflate what they think worth. If you knock that off, buyers still likely to offer under
    2. Quick sale will only come if you get viewers. Buyers research online so photos are paramount. Think about properties you'll be up against if you knock off 10-15%
    3. A price out of whack with comparable properties + unusual photography might mean more buyers just scroll past you thinking something must be wrong
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 14th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    Please can you tell me what is so special about your life so I can see if that is the life I am supposed to get
    it doesnt matter what life you get as long as it is not the one you have now that is filled with paranoia.

or carry on as you are, it makes no difference at all to me. youve got 4 choices, pick 1.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 14th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    but dont tell us which one you pick in case anyone finds out.
    • caspar9
    • By caspar9 14th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    caspar9
    it doesnt matter what life you get as long as it is not the one you have now that is filled with paranoia.
    But now I am extremely paranoid that I won't pick the right one
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 14th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    This is a great thread and has to be a wind-up. I know it's still early days but it's almost on par with this:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2852970
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin