Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LushesFaith
    • By LushesFaith 14th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 89Posts
    • 14Thanks
    LushesFaith
    Options for Association tenants
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    Options for Association tenants 14th Feb 18 at 5:27 PM
    I know council tenants get right to buy and money off cost of buying their home.
    My home is housing association, I don't want to buy it. However I am looking into home ownership. What options are there for association tenants when house buying?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    I know council tenants get right to buy and money off cost of buying their home.
    My home is housing association, I don't want to buy it. However I am looking into home ownership. What options are there for association tenants when house buying?
    Originally posted by LushesFaith
    rightmove ?
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 14th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 3,572 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    What exactly do you mean by that?

If, as you say, you don't want to buy your HA house, why would you be any different to anyone else buying on the open market?
    Last edited by Cheeky_Monkey; 14-02-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 14th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 9,592 Posts
    • 12,905 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Any estate agent?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 14th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    It only applies to Right to Buy with council houses or Right to Acquire with housing association houses. It doesn't apply to houses on the open market that are privately owned.
    • LushesFaith
    • By LushesFaith 14th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    LushesFaith
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    I am only researching as a friend suggested that there should be something in place. I never heard of anything like it so just enquired. thanks
    • LushesFaith
    • By LushesFaith 14th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    LushesFaith
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    It only applies to Right to Buy with council houses or Right to Acquire with housing association houses. It doesn't apply to houses on the open market that are privately owned.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Ok Thank you.
    So the 1st time buyer schemes would not apply either I am guessing.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 14th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    Ok Thank you.
    So the 1st time buyer schemes would not apply either I am guessing.
    If you have never bought a house before you should get the 1st time buyer schemes to help you but these are available to anyone who is a first time buyer. It doesn't only apply to people who live in housing association properties.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 15th Feb 18, 1:56 AM
    • 5,423 Posts
    • 7,598 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:56 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:56 AM
    There used to be some councils that will offer a cash incentive to people who give up their council property. I don't know if your friend is thinking of that. I don't know if there are any of these around anymore (you don't hear about them so I suspect not). You would have to ask your council.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 15th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 7,096 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    What options are there for association tenants when house buying?
    Ask the HA. Some build properties to sell or for shared ownership.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Toucan_toucan
    • By Toucan_toucan 15th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Toucan_toucan
    As others have said, you're probably eligible for first-time buyer schemes and shared ownership.

Some housing associations offer 'rent to buy' products, where you pay a slightly lower than market level of rent for, say, 3 years, with the idea that you put the money you've 'saved' aside to build up a deposit, and then purchase the property at the end of the rental period. Have a look at sharetobuy.com for shared ownership, and here for a bit more info rent to buy (this is for the SE, but it's a start at least): https://www.helptobuyese.org.uk/help-to-buy/rent-to-buy
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 15th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    As others have said, you're probably eligible for first-time buyer schemes and shared ownership.

Some housing associations offer 'rent to buy' products, where you pay a slightly lower than market level of rent for, say, 3 years, with the idea that you put the money you've 'saved' aside to build up a deposit, and then purchase the property at the end of the rental period. Have a look at sharetobuy.com for shared ownership, and here for a bit more info rent to buy (this is for the SE, but it's a start at least): https://www.helptobuyese.org.uk/help-to-buy/rent-to-buy
    Originally posted by Toucan_toucan
    The point is thought that these schemes are open to anyone who qualifies they don't have to be housing association tenants first.

So actually there are no special schemes available to housing association tenants apart from right to acquire that are not also open to any one else who fits the criteria.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,074Posts Today

5,568Users online

Martin's Twitter