Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 14th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 151Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: O2, Vodafone and Three to hit...
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    MSE News: O2, Vodafone and Three to hit... 14th Feb 18 at 4:55 PM
    Millions of O2, Three and Vodafone mobile customers will see the price of their monthly mobile contracts rise this year, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal – meaning all the major networks have announced mid-contract price increases this week...
    Read the full story:
    'O2, Vodafone and Three to hit pay-monthly customers with mid-contract price rises'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 15-02-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 14th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    bleedin' 'ell!
    another one is using economic downturn to make profits....
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 14th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    Good news, in a way, for anyone like me on a rolling monthly contract.

Currently paying £10pm for unlimited minutes and texts + 4GB data. A good opportunity to improve on this with a little negotiation, I'm guessing.

A good deal when I took it on, but there are better deals around now probably - maybe with a little less data.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,736 Thanks
    boatman
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    According to the terms, '3' sim only is not affected by the RPI rise.

The RPI rise for Jan, published in Feb is 4.0%

A. Your Minimum Commitment: You agree to stay with us for the Minimum Term. The minimum price for Three Services provided under this agreement is the Monthly Charge for the Minimum Term. Each May, your Monthly Charge will increase by an
    amount up to the January RPI rate (published each February), unless you're on a SIM plan, in which case your Monthly Charge will remain the same.

4. Changes to your agreement or prices
    4.1 Your Monthly Charge will be subject to an annual increase by an amount up to the RPI Rate. The annual increase will first appear on your May bill. We will publish the RPI Rate on our website as soon as it's available. If the RPI Rate is negative, there will be no change to your Monthly Charge. This section 4.1 does not apply to SIM Plan customers.
    Last edited by boatman; 24-02-2018 at 9:16 PM. Reason: mm
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    I‘ve been a Three SIM only customer for some time and not (yet) had any increases mid term, nor at the end of a 12 month min term contract.

So, fingers crossed, this won’t result in increases to SIM only customers... potentially another good reason for going the SIM only route.
    Last edited by Frozen_up_north; 14-02-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 14th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    So the SIM only prices stay the same? Still a useful reminder to look again at what you're paying.

I'm pretty sure my £10pm can be bettered now........
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,736 Thanks
    boatman
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    So the SIM only prices stay the same? Still a useful reminder to look again at what you're paying.

Originally posted by Doc N
    According to their T&C's, that's what it says. I suppose they could change it between now and the rise, but that would give you the right to leave, so can't see them doing that.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th Feb 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:35 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:35 PM
    Just noticed Three have offers on SIM only contracts at the moment, expiring in 5 days... among others, their 12 month, 30 GB, unlimited mins, Advanced SIM, has been reduced from £20 to £18... interesting.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 14th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    harz99
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:52 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Doc N

Definitely, as long as you don't want/use feel at home further away than European countries...
    • boatman
    • By boatman 15th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,736 Thanks
    boatman
    Definitely, as long as you don't want/use feel at home further away than European countries...
    Originally posted by harz99
    They were doing the Advanced sim only for £9(4gb), and that does include all the feel at home countries. Best now seems to be £12 for 8gb on an Advanced sim plan.
    Last edited by boatman; 15-02-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: ii
    • minislim
    • By minislim 15th Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    minislim
    glad i left vodafone and didnt sign up to a new deal. i'd have been stung by this.
    instead i opted for a 30 day rolling contract with ID. i'm sure they will do the same and hike prices soon. but at least i have the option to leave easily now.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 15th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    20aday
    glad i left vodafone and didnt sign up to a new deal. i'd have been stung by this.
    instead i opted for a 30 day rolling contract with ID. i'm sure they will do the same and hike prices soon. but at least i have the option to leave easily now.
    Originally posted by minislim
    iD Mobile do indeed increase their tariffs based on RPI.

AFAIK it's only Three with their SIM only plans and Tesco Mobile who don't use RPI mid-term.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 16th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    minislim
    iD Mobile do indeed increase their tariffs based on RPI.

AFAIK it's only Three with their SIM only plans and Tesco Mobile who don't use RPI mid-term.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    Cheers 20aday.
    i know. but i was at the end of my contract with vodafone. they were offering me ok 12 month only sim deals but these unlike my old tariff were now subject to rpi increases. so i'd have been locked in now and hit with a hike.

i ended up going with ID as their 2.25gb 30 day deal as advertised on here was perfect as a go between until i see a better tariff.

to be honest i dont think anyone will beat it at £5.

the only ones who can spoil it now are ID themselves if the hike prices, i'll just hand my 30 days notice and leave before the hike!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 21st Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 8,209 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Do they not have to give us some warning of impending price rises ?
    I have been with Three for 5 years + and have never received any warning - the DD just increases ...
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 23rd Feb 18, 9:47 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    ryan121
    Do they not have to give us some warning of impending price rises ?
    I have been with Three for 5 years + and have never received any warning - the DD just increases ...
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle

It's mentioned on your bill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,060Posts Today

7,690Users online

Martin's Twitter