Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Barry Napierski
    • By Barry Napierski 14th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Barry Napierski
    Insurance Auto Renewal
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    Insurance Auto Renewal 14th Feb 18 at 4:47 PM
    My insurance was renewed automatically, i cancelled my direct debit once i noticed it.

I argued and then came across this, and then the cancelled the charged and refunded me as they did not comply.

fca.org.uk/firms/transparency-insurance-renewals[/url]

Worth looking into if your having the same argument.
Page 1
    • rs65
    • By rs65 14th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 5,343 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    My insurance was renewed automatically, i cancelled my direct debit once i noticed it.

I argued and then came across this, and then the cancelled the charged and refunded me as they did not comply.

fca.org.uk/firms/transparency-insurance-renewals[/url]

Worth looking into if your having the same argument.
    Originally posted by Barry Napierski
    It would be useful to know in what way didn't they comply?
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 14th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Reardoa
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    Most do these days. It leaves a lot less people uninsured when they `forget` to renew it. It just means you have to manage it better should you choose to move elsewhere.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 14th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    Or just set a reminder for 1 year after you take the policy to shop around and re-check before agreeing to another Auto-renewal..
    • Barry Napierski
    • By Barry Napierski 15th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Barry Napierski
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    I had an Email sent to me saying renewal INVITATION. (Besides it had gone into the promotions section of my emails which are barley read)
    Within the "Invitation" it didn't comply with the basic regulations, IE your new premium, your last premium to compare it to and information stating that you should shop around for a better deal. It just said your renewal will start and a monthly amount, it also gave Credit which is worrying!
    The regulations also state that you have to "Engage" with the insurance company, I interpret engage to mean that you have some sort of correspondence to accept the renewal offer. Which in my case I didn't.
    The regulations also state that when you take out the initial insurance you have to "Opt In" to auto renewal via a click box or drop down field, so that also something that was not complied with.

In my opinion Auto Renewal is just a modern day CON. People should be aware and be more vigilant but insurance companies should also comply with the rules in the first place!
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 15th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    In my opinion Auto Renewal is just a modern day CON. People should be aware and be more vigilant but insurance companies should also comply with the rules in the first place!
    Originally posted by Barry Napierski
    I can almost guarantee that if you had forgotten to ensure you were insured and they hadn't auto-renewed and you'd got done for it you'd be on here bleating on about it being their fault and a big con becaue they caused you to be uninsured. Works both ways and of course the insurer is going to go the way that makes them money, they're a business.
    • Barry Napierski
    • By Barry Napierski 15th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Barry Napierski
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    My post is to highlight that one company and maybe others are not complying with the regulations. If they are not complying with the regulations and then they take money out of your account without your authority and they set up credit which you did not want then Yes, its a Con.

Say for example you got invited to a Birthday party. You didn't respond to the RSVP (Invite). You didn't go to the party. But then you got charged for the cake you didn't want let alone eat. Sure, you went last year, but didn't fancy it this year. Same principal, especially as you didn't "Opt In" at any stage.

What I am saying is, when Insurance is initially taken out, when you fill out the form, you should clearly "OPT IN" to auto Renew, this is part of the regulations. Auto Renew is currently hidden within the T's & C's and is therefore not its own individual click box, which it should be.

I hope this clarifies my position on the matter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,527Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin