Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 14th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 29Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    0 WOW
    Cities most worth visiting in 'Eastern' Europe?
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    0 WOW
    Cities most worth visiting in 'Eastern' Europe? 14th Feb 18 at 3:55 PM
    My friend and I are planning on doing some travelling around Europe this summer. In recent years I've been lucky enough to travel considerably around Western Europe (West of Germany/Italy), so we are now looking at heading further East and/or South.

Are there any cities or areas in Central/Eastern/Southern Europe that you'd recommend visiting? We are looking at a range of activities from days sightseeing to days relaxing so all suggestions are welcome!

Thank you
Page 3
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 3rd Mar 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,038 Posts
    • 44,591 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Blimey you couldn't pay me to go back to Kaunas, even though I had one of the best meals of my life there.

Warsaw is ok, especially the random bears by the side of the road and I quite liked Bratislava, even though its tiny and can really be done in a couple of nights
    Originally posted by phatbear
    Sorry, I missed Kaunas off my wouldn't go back list, visited the capital for a few hours, that was tiny too.
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 6th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Wow Barny1979 , you're definitely well-travelled! Several of the cities you suggested are on our shortlist so I'm glad to hear you recommend them, thank you.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 6th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 8,835 Posts
    • 25,301 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    I've only been to Kiev/Kyiv with work, but I've had a bit of time to explore the city and I'd say it's definitely worth a visit.
    Originally posted by benjus
    Lviv is well worth a visit too, and it's going to be either that or Kyiv that I use as a staging post (for cheap flights) for a trip for work later this year.

Georgia is lovely too (if not too far East for you). There are flights from 50-ish (35-ish with frequent flier discount which costs !!!8364;30 a year for a couple) return with Wizzair at the moment from Luton (03:00 arrival), and a well organised bus service from Kutaisi to Tbilisi (4 hours, company is called Georgian Bus) from which the whole country is accessible easily. The 3am arrival time isn't as bad as it sounds as it's possible to sleep on the flight and the bus, giving you an extra day without paying for accommodation. Sadly you lose this on the way back unless you finish in the West of the country.

Photo is the first city outside Tbilisi, on the outskirts

"I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 12,304 Posts
    • 16,570 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    If you want really 'Eastern' and are feeling adventurous, how about Kalmykia, the only Buddhist country in Europe. (Russian visa required.)
    Originally posted by eDicky
    If you need a Russia visa now, bank on needing an extra day's annual leave to go for the biometrics - Moscow under Putin did a tit for tat response to everyone else doing it.

There are only 3 centres in the UK - London Embassy (they have a reputation already for long queues and rejecting applications when everything is correct), Edinburgh (I've only ever once had a problem with that Consulate and that was them not stamping the photo on the old style visa) and Manchester (I've no experience with this centre).
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • TheRevJimJones
    • By TheRevJimJones 7th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TheRevJimJones
    If you are talking "east of Germany" and you want to avoid the overly touristed places (Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Dubrovnik, Tallinn et al) then I'd recommend the following (all really easily accessible):

Bratislava - Solvakia, short hop from Vienna
    Sofia, Veliko Tarnovo - Bulgaria
    Riga - Latvia
    Mostar - Bosnia
    Ljubljana - Solvenia

If you want more of a challenge but want to see some places that fewer tourists visit then I'd definitely recommend:
    Odessa - Ukraine
    Brest - Belarus
    Minsk - Belarus
    Chisinau - Moldova

and if you really want to push the envelope then head to Tiraspol in Transnistria. Last bastion of Soviet-style Marxist-Leninism (albeit with a menacing gangster undertone). It's a fascinating place, short on tourist sights but an amazing experience (if you can get out again, that is!)
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 7th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Wow CKhalvashi, Lviv looks lovely. And no, Georgia isn't too far east for us and those flight prices make it even more tempting to visit! Thank you!
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 7th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Thank you TheRevJimJones ! We hadn't really thought about Moldova but now we will definitely take a look now. We are thinking about extending our trip so we can head as far east as possible and do places like that!
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 8th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 7,974 Posts
    • 13,786 Thanks
    andrewf75
    One no-one has mentioned yet is Tirana, would highly recommend Albania.

Sarajevo probably my favourite having done a lot in the region
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 13th Mar 18, 8:25 AM
    • 8,835 Posts
    • 25,301 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    Just to reignite this thread as it seems appropriate.

Wizzair have 20% off all flights if booked before 10:59pm
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • Shikakui
    • By Shikakui 11th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Shikakui
    In Slovenia: Ljubljana, Lake Bled
    In Romania: Sibiu, Brasov
    In Macedonia: Ohrid
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 2,675 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Ljublana, Slovenia.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Another vote for Ljubljana, lovely city, very safe and peaceful and very easy to get out into the Slovenian countryside and see Lake Bled, the Julian Alps etc etc.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 2,675 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Oh and my input, other than the above fascinating info is Krakow, Budapest and Talinn.
    Originally posted by phatbear
    I'm heading to Tallinn this summer, any tips?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    • 2,675 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Another vote her for Bosnia. Old town in Sarajevo is absolutely gorgeous and there's plenty of sightseeing to do. Mostar is also worth a visit (you can get the train from Sarajevo).

I've been to Sarajevo many times and made many wonderful memories. Food is great, people are lovely, stunning architecture and always something to do/see.
    Originally posted by WolfSong2000
    I'd love to got Sarajevo but there are no direct flights sadly, and I don't have enough time off to lose a day to connections!

Come on airlines, get a direct flight on the books, it'll be well used!
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 12th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,187 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    I'm heading to Tallinn this summer, any tips?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Try and avoid the Old Town when the cruise ships are in port. It gets really crowded. Ask at your hotel and they should be able to advise you on the best times to visit (we stayed at the St Petersburgh hotel - wonderful)!
    Normal people worry me.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    In Slovenia: Ljubljana, Lake Bled
    In Romania: Sibiu, Brasov
    In Macedonia: Ohrid
    Originally posted by Shikakui
    Going to Ohrid in 2 weeks time, after 4 nights in Skopje. A week by Lake Ohrid, then on to Bitola.

Sibiu and Brasov in June. Doing a circular self guided train tour of Transylvania.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I'd love to got Sarajevo but there are no direct flights sadly, and I don't have enough time off to lose a day to connections!

Come on airlines, get a direct flight on the books, it'll be well used!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    We got to Sarajevo by flying to Croatia [Split], bus to Mostar, train to Sarajevo.

It's well worth investing a bit more time, and see more of the area.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 13th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 4,038 Posts
    • 44,591 Thanks
    Barny1979
    We got to Sarajevo by flying to Croatia [Split], bus to Mostar, train to Sarajevo.

It's well worth investing a bit more time, and see more of the area.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Where did you fly from and who with please?
    • BillTrac
    • By BillTrac 13th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    BillTrac
    Just like PompeyPete, thoroughly recommend Transylvania. Have done it in both the summer and over a new Year.

New Year - four feet of snow and -28(have the pictures) but nothing stops them.
    Summer - 35 degrees and green.

Beautiful country, lovely people and cheap.

Croatia is another. I've stayed in Cavtat and it's a small boat ride away from Dubrovnik. Easy drive into Montenegro (apart from the queues at the crossing - both ways) and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Apr 18, 3:19 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Where did you fly from and who with please?
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    From Gatwick with easyJet @ 101.50 each return including 20kg each. Went last September.

Stayed in a small studio for 2 nights near Split Old Town. Had a full day out to Hvar by ferry.

Bus to Mostar [3.5 hours]. 4 nights in Mostar.

Train to Sarajevo [2.5 hours]. 6 nights in Sarajevo.

Retraced our steps to Split.

All accommodation booked on Booking.com, making sure that the accommodation was central but within a short distance from transport hubs.

Very simple to arrange.
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 13th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    Thank you Shikakui, we are definitely doing Slovenia and Romania (as much as we can!) Will have to take a better look at Macedonia.. so many places, not enough time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin