Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fritzie-65
    • By fritzie-65 14th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fritzie-65
    Will - Scotland
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    Will - Scotland 14th Feb 18 at 2:24 PM
    My estranged father passed away and I was contacted by a law firm advising of the death and informing me they were appointed to deal with his funeral and estate.

All correspondence to date has been by email and I have never formally been contacted by them in writing - so besides asking them outright - am I in his will.

How or when do I get to see a copy of his will?

I have seen that I have a claim to his moveable assets under the '' Legal Rights '' but I am sure these will not amount to much BUT he has property and that falls outside ''Legal Rights '' and comes under the conditions of his Will.

My question is driven by curiosity than by avarice .
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 14th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 3,481 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    My estranged father passed away and I was contacted by a law firm advising of the death and informing me they were appointed to deal with his funeral and estate.

All correspondence to date has been by email and I have never formally been contacted by them in writing - so besides asking them outright - am I in his will.

How or when do I get to see a copy of his will?

I have seen that I have a claim to his moveable assets under the '' Legal Rights '' but I am sure these will not amount to much BUT he has property and that falls outside ''Legal Rights '' and comes under the conditions of his Will.

My question is driven by curiosity than by avarice .
    Originally posted by fritzie-65
    You don!!!8217;t have any right to see the will until it is confirmed when you can buy a copy. You can ask the solicitor but they are not obliged to tell you.
    • fritzie-65
    • By fritzie-65 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fritzie-65
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    Thanks for such a quick reply - you confirmed what I had suspected -

But when are they supposed to inform me( supposing I am a beneficiary ) after everything is done and dusted - ie IHT paid ,house sold their bill approved etc ?
    Last edited by fritzie-65; 14-02-2018 at 2:47 PM. Reason: addtional info
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 14th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 3,481 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:37 PM
    Thanks for such a quick reply - you confirmed what I had suspected -

But when are they supposed to inform me( supposing I am a beneficiary ) after everything is done and dusted - ie IHT paid ,house sold their bill approved etc ?
    Originally posted by fritzie-65
    As a beneficiary you have no rights in that respect but you will not lose by asking them.
    • fritzie-65
    • By fritzie-65 19th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fritzie-65
    • 19th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    Okay so I have now found out that I can expect a letter in the next two weeks with information regarding the Legal Rights and the sum involved.

Will this letter say whether I am a beneficiary of the will as well ?

Is it correct you cannot claim Legal Rights and be a beneficiary that you have to choose -one or the other.

Confused
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 19th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 2,818 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 19th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    You are correct, you exert your legal rights or you take what you have via the will, not both.
    • fritzie-65
    • By fritzie-65 19th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fritzie-65
    • 19th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    So then when I get the letter I have to deceide which option to take with all the facts laid out at this time ?
    • fritzie-65
    • By fritzie-65 3rd May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fritzie-65
    • 3rd May 18, 1:48 PM
    the next step -
    • 3rd May 18, 1:48 PM
    Today I finally got an official letter stating that my father left a will but I am not mentioned in it - therefore I have a claim under Legal Rights which I intend to excercise.

Anyone out here had experience of this and what happens next and the time frame is etc.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 4th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 4th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 4th May 18, 7:16 PM
    I would imagine you were notified because you are not mentioned and have have the right to claim.

You either have to claim them or renounce them.

Did the letter not mention anything about that?

If not phone the solicitor who is acting and ask them how you claim.

When my mother and her siblings renounced their claim to my grandfather's estate they had to sign something the solicitor gave them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,093Posts Today

5,606Users online

Martin's Twitter