Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BarginBetty79
    • By BarginBetty79 14th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 22Thanks
    BarginBetty79
    New Property with the Same Letting Agent
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:57 PM
    New Property with the Same Letting Agent 14th Feb 18 at 1:57 PM
    I'm currently looking to move to a larger place and my current letting agents have the perfect property advertised, also owned by the same Landlord that owns my current property.

I know I will have to put another deposit down on the new property but does anyone know if its normal for them to expect me to pay application fees and referencing again (totaling around 250)?

I've been renting my current property from them for the last 3 years with absolutely no issues, always paid my rent on time and they have carried out inspections every 3 months with no issues, so I'm hoping not.

I wanted to check before I make an appointment to view the new property.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Hippo
    • By Hippo 14th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Hippo
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    Remind the agent you're a good tenant. Pay on time. Pass inspections. Would love to stay with same LL and agent.

Personally bear in mind that the agent, at best, spends a max of 20 referencing each person.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 14th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    I'm currently looking to move to a larger place and my current letting agents have the perfect property advertised, also owned by the same Landlord that owns my current property.

I know I will have to put another deposit down on the new property but does anyone know if its normal for them to expect me to pay application fees and referencing again (totaling around 250)?

I've been renting my current property from them for the last 3 years with absolutely no issues, always paid my rent on time and they have carried out inspections every 3 months with no issues, so I'm hoping not.

I wanted to check before I make an appointment to view the new property.

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by BarginBetty79
    The key is its the same landlord. Can you speak to them directly, and ask if they can move you to the larger property and mutually surrender the current one. Could agree minimal overlap, no rereferencing etc, as they don't need to ask the previous LL ie themself!

The LA may be keen to get their fee for tenant changeover so doesn't help them if you're already known to the LL..
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 14th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    need an answer
    It's probably the LL's decision over references,so put in that position they already know if you are likely to pay the rent.

Is the property you are looking at moving too much more expensive and as such would there need to be additional checks done for affordability etc.

As a LL myself put in that position I would probably not require new referencing but not all LL's act the same.

Does your existing LL know you are looking to move and moreover at one of their other properties, I would be tempted to perhaps speak with or email them if you have a good rapport with them to see if it is a feasible proposition they are interested in.

Remember the agent always acts on behalf of the LL and will take their instructions accordingly from them
    in S 28 T 20 F 42
    out S 36 T 24 F 32
    2017 -32
    • BarginBetty79
    • By BarginBetty79 14th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    BarginBetty79
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    I've never met my LL, all issues with the property and the tenancy renewal have always been direct with the Letting Agent so I have no way of contacting him directly.

It is slightly more expensive than my currently property as it's a bit larger and more importantly for me has a garden, but it is affordable for me.

Thanks for your advice, I guess I'll just have to see what the Letting Agent has to say, although I suspect as they charge me every time I renew my tenancy for the pleasure of signing two bits of paper, they may well find away to charge me for admin etc for the lease on a new property.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

5,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin