Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tonythetank
    • By tonythetank 14th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tonythetank
    Halifax Clarity
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    Halifax Clarity 14th Feb 18 at 11:52 AM
    Hi two questions, if you draw cash on the Halifax Clarity card does it affect your credit file.
    also is it better to draw money out from an ATM in Tenerife or get Euros before going as we need some cash to pay for accommodation when we arrive,
    Thanks
    Tony
Page 3
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 25th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    Well i always tend to take cash with me when travelling abroad. But sometimes you can run out, or see something that you want to buy that you didnt budget for so put in on the card.
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    Using Clarity or the other credit/debit/prepaid cards that are fee-free overseas will always be cheaper than exchanging cash (on the same day), and with cash there's always the likely extra loss involved in exchanging the excess back to pounds (or spending unnecessarily to use it up).
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 26th Feb 18, 6:40 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    Terry98
    Using Clarity or the other credit/debit/prepaid cards that are fee-free overseas will always be cheaper than exchanging cash (on the same day), and with cash there's always the likely extra loss involved in exchanging the excess back to pounds (or spending unnecessarily to use it up).
    Originally posted by eDicky
    If you use the Clarity to get cash from an ATM abroad and let Halifax do the conversion you know you will get the best rate.

If you use the Clarity in shops abroad isn't the conversion done abroad? If so using cash from ATM's abroad will give you a better rate.

You have a point about exchanging the excess back to pounds but I usually keep mine for the next trip.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 26th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    If you use the Clarity to get cash from an ATM abroad and let Halifax do the conversion you know you will get the best rate.

If you use the Clarity in shops abroad isn't the conversion done abroad? If so using cash from ATM's abroad will give you a better rate.
    Originally posted by Terry98
    You get the same rate abroad for purchases as you do for cash, as long as you don't accept DCC at the till.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 26th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    No, Clarity used for purchases will give the straight MasterCard rate, as long as you pay in the local currency, not pounds. You often have to be careful when the choice is given by the payment terminal that the waiter or shop assistant doesn't select pounds for you. The problem doesn't seem to arise for a contactless payment.

You're right about keeping leftover currency for the next trip - I should edit my use of the word 'always'.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 26th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    If you are interested in Euro or US dollars a few people, I think eDicky and Chatty_cheppy have confirmed that people could use Money Corp machine in the landside of either in Heathrow or Stansted using Halifax Clarity card and get Mastercard exchange rate as long as they let Thea card to do conversion.
    Originally posted by pantaiema
    emphasis/strikeout added

It's Gatwick, not Heathrow. Yep, apparently Stansted have them also, though I've not been there for years.

Just for clarity (!), on the screen you choose "without conversion". (Which means the card converts, not Moneycorp.)
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 7th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Just got my clarity card today. Just say i wanted to take abit of cash with me abroad, what gives a better rate:

Changing it into foreign currency in the UK or using the credit card on an ATM over there, and paying it off online the same day?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 7th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 21,833 Posts
    • 10,547 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Changing it into foreign currency in the UK
    Cheapest is about 4%

using the credit card on an ATM over there, and paying it off online the same day?
    0% (DON'T do conversion)
    Letting the ATM bank do conversion for you can be as much as 10% whereas Halifax charge you 0% above the mastercard rate so let Halifax do the conservsion.

However it can be useful to have a little foreign currency in case ATM doesn't work, card doesn't work etc.
    I often go with no currency but usually with the knowldege that there's a friendly rep who would help me or ATM's at the nearby town.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 7th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    So aslong as i use the Clarity card in the ATM i will be charged the Mastercard rate and not the banks ATM rate?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 7th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 21,833 Posts
    • 10,547 Thanks
    lisyloo
    So aslong as i use the Clarity card in the ATM
    No - that's not enough.

The ATM will ask you a question along the lines of
    "Would you like me (Bank of foreign place) to convert your rupees to pounds sterling?"

If you say "Yes" then the bank who own the ATM will charge you for the conversion - between 3% and 10%.
    If you say "No" then your card will be charged in foreign currency and Halifax will do the conversion.

Please pay attention to the exact question as it could be worded differently.
    In my experience it's usually a NO to decline conversion.
    However the question is worded what you want is foreign (local) currency charged to card and NO conversion.

For this reason it's important to select english (or a language you understand) or try to find an ATM that has english.
    If the buttons don't appear to work then be patient and don't press multiple times as that might lead you to select an option you don't want.

I have seen 10% conversion rates in Mexcio city recently.

Note that restaurants and shops also do conversion some without telling you so be careful with that as well. I always ask in advance for local currency.

Restaurants, shops and ATMs will NOT generally give you a good exchange rate.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 07-03-2018 at 5:22 PM.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 7th Mar 18, 5:28 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Thanks for that. Do restaurants and shops etc always have to give the option of who does the conversion (even if they dont tell you?), or is it just pot luck if you got to a place that lets you choose?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    When a POS terminal is used that recognises a UK (or other foreign) card and offers Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC), regulations require that the option is always given to declne DCC and pay in the local currency.

However, some businesses in particular countries such as Spain occasionally try, and sometimes succeed if you're not careful, to avoid giving the choice. There's an article about this and some examples are given in this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677965&highlight=dcc
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Just got my clarity card today. Just say i wanted to take abit of cash with me abroad, what gives a better rate:

Changing it into foreign currency in the UK or using the credit card on an ATM over there, and paying it off online the same day?
    Buying foreign currency in the UK means you will get the "rip off" bureau de change rates. Almost always best to use an ATM overseas. Just be sure to avoid DCC - choose to be billed in the foreign currency and reject local conversion or any amount displayed in pounds. In some places, ATMs levy a local fee (just like in the UK). Despite this, it will still be cheaper than buying cash in the UK.

The exception is the Moneycorp machines discussed above. That is one way of getting certain foreign currencies before you go at a great rate. Again you must reject local conversion and you must use the ATM machines, not the Moneycorp desks.

Thanks for that. Do restaurants and shops etc always have to give the option of who does the conversion (even if they dont tell you?), or is it just pot luck if you got to a place that lets you choose?
    You should never be forced to accept the conversion. Ie they should either simply bill in the local currency or give you the choice. Two examples from personal experience:

1) Geneva airport. The touch screen had a big green square with the correct amount in CHF and the word "OK". Underneath it said "bill my card in GBP at the rate of xxxx" in small letters. In the bottom corner of the screen was a red box with the amount in CHF again, but it said "bill in CHF". So at first glance it looked like an OK or cancel thing. The woman pointed to the green box and said "press here if the amount is correct". Of course the amount was correct. But I pressed the red box to get billed in CHF. She smiled and said "smart man". I was correctly billed in CHF.

2) A Spanish hotel. Passed a portable machine. Amount shown in Euros. I entered PIN and pressed OK/Cancel. Handed back the machine. Then I saw (upside down) it now offered to bill in GBP or Euros. Before I had a chance to say anything, the guy pressed the button to bill in Euros so it wasn't an issue. But I was surprised to see that this was offered AFTER the PIN had been entered.

Typical loadings I have seen on DCC when I've worked it out have been 7% to 9%, though on just one occasion it appeared to be neutral.

Most of my foreign spend is in Asia and DCC seems less common there. Touristy places in Europe seem to be the worst.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 8th Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    Terry98
    Is it a new trend for banks ATM's abroad to add a transaction charge to each withdrawal?

I can understand ATM's adding a transaction charge if they are located away from banks, like in the UK, but not in or outside bank branches.

I refused to accept a 5euro charge at a Santander ATM in Spain but had to accept a 2euro charge at a Solbank branch ATM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Mar 18, 6:45 AM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,637 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Is it a new trend for banks ATM's abroad to add a transaction charge to each withdrawal?
    USA and Chile have been at it for years. The Spanish seem to have discovered it more recently.

I can understand ATM's adding a transaction charge if they are located away from banks, like in the UK, but not in or outside bank branches .
    Genuine question. Why should it make the slightest difference?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 21,833 Posts
    • 10,547 Thanks
    lisyloo
    It common in some countries (those I've experienced are US, thailand and Mexico). If it's common then you don't have much choice.

If there is a fixed charge rather than a % then I would tend to take our larger amounts (and then leave some in a hotel safe).
    If there isn't a charge and I have daily access to ATMs then I would go for smaller amounts for increased safety.
    There's a trade-off there and you have to use common-sense.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 21,833 Posts
    • 10,547 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Do restaurants and shops etc always have to give the option of who does the conversion
    In my experience you don't always get told.
    In some case this might be staff not understanding the consequences or trying to be helpful or just run off their feet.
    I now ask to pay in local currency beforehand.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 8th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 2,502 Thanks
    Terry98
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    ATM charges were in the news recently https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/30/free-to-use-link-atms-across-the-uk-at-risk-of-being-closed-down
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 12th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Quick question regarding the clarity card. Just bought something on it now, and its showing pending. When that eventually shows on my transactions as taken, how long do I get to pay it off?

Is it 1 month from the date of the transaction or has it got to be paid by your statement date (whenever that is)?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 30,147 Posts
    • 17,998 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Quick question regarding the clarity card. Just bought something on it now, and its showing pending. When that eventually shows on my transactions as taken, how long do I get to pay it off?

Is it 1 month from the date of the transaction or has it got to be paid by your statement date (whenever that is)?
    It has to be paid by the payment due date shown on the statement the transaction appears on. This could be as little as 3 weeks later or as much as 7 weeks later, depending on when in the statement cycle you made the purchase.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 12th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Ah ok thanks. Seeing as ive just got the card i dont know when my statement due date is. Im assuming that will show up once purchase shows on the statement
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

2,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin