Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nathaniel Essex
    • By Nathaniel Essex 14th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 93Posts
    • 51Thanks
    Nathaniel Essex
    Any advice for a speeding ticket?
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    Any advice for a speeding ticket? 14th Feb 18 at 10:56 AM
    Happy Valentines Day to me. Just got a speeding letter through the post. I was going 58mph on the M25 where the speed limit is 50mph.

Really annoyed and reading the letter it makes every effort to provide you with little information and discourage you asking for more.
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 10,832 Posts
    • 7,670 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    So what exactly is the advice you want?
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Happy Valentines Day to me. Just got a speeding letter through the post. I was going 58mph on the M25 where the speed limit is 50mph.

Really annoyed and reading the letter it makes every effort to provide you with little information and discourage you asking for more.
    Originally posted by Nathaniel Essex
    Well, if you were doing 58 then take your lumps, "evidence" will be rock solid in terms of photos.

If you can think of reasons why you are certain this was wrong and you know you were driving at slower speed then go to the pepipoo.com forums where they will be able to walk you through genuine legal arguments rather than misleading speculative ideas for breaking the system. They won't allow judgemental comments there, but they will tell you how it is if you hope that someone has a magic solution for making tickets disappear.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 3,914 Thanks
    waamo
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    What more information do you need?
    This space for hire.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    wongataa
    The letter will ask who was driving the car stated in the letter at the time in question. You reply with who was driving. That is all you do at this point. That is all you are asked to do. What other info do you want?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 14th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    Not quite sure what your question is - but the NIP you have received sounds perfectly standard. You will have been caught speeding by an approved & calibrated device, basically you can only pay up and carry on. Unless, as Wongataa says, you were not the driver, in which case you reply to that effect.

You can request the photographic ( or other ) evidence. However, to do that you need to plead not guilty, entailing a trip to court to prove your case, and all the associated costs : https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q206.htm

Really, unless you're absolutely sure that you were not speeding, and you are convinced there was a fault with the camera or whatever that caught you, then pay the fine, take the points and suck it up.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    If the NIP says 58 in a 50 then your speedo will have shown 60+ ... no excuse and no getting away from it.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • mchale
    • By mchale 14th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    mchale
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    Did you receive the NIP within 14 days of the offence?
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 8,370 Posts
    • 8,643 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    The Pepipoo Forum is probably your best bet for this.

Sign-up with something that isn't Hotmail, read the intro posts carefully, post in the correct forum and be ready to provide all the info they ask for and if any help can be given, it will.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Feb 18, 6:13 PM
    • 26,832 Posts
    • 10,785 Thanks
    forgotmyname

Originally posted by Nathaniel Essex

More information like what? Speed limit 50mph, you were ticketed at 58, so you were likely to be a touch over that also.

Date and time will and costs will be on the ticket. What more do you need?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • facade
    • By facade 14th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    facade
    Just fill in the form with who was driving at the time (reads like it was you), sign it and send it back within the 28 days.
    The most likely outcome will be the offer of a course if the driver is eligible.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 15th Feb 18, 7:37 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Deastons
    Just fill in the form with who was driving at the time (reads like it was you), sign it and send it back within the 28 days.
    The most likely outcome will be the offer of a course if the driver is eligible.
    Originally posted by facade
    The speed awareness course annoys me. It's just seen by most as a minor annoyance. If you passed your driving test, you're already aware of the speed limits and everyone is aware of the dangers of speeding.

The other day on my local radio station, the DJ was joking about having to do his speed awareness course that afternoon. It gave him and his sidekick several minutes of 'hilarious' banter.

I think if you opt for the speed awareness course and get done for speeding a second time, you should get the fine and points from the first offence, too, as you clearly learned nothing.

Speeding is the highest form of arrogant-couldn't-give-a-damn that there is. And most people who speed probably complain about other people speeding through their town/village.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    Car 54
    If you passed your driving test, you're already aware of the speed limits ...
    Originally posted by Deastons
    Even a brief look at the posts on Pepipoo, and indeed some here, would show that this is far from true.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 15th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 839 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    The speed awareness course annoys me. It's just seen by most as a minor annoyance. If you passed your driving test, you're already aware of the speed limits and everyone is aware of the dangers of speeding.

The other day on my local radio station, the DJ was joking about having to do his speed awareness course that afternoon. It gave him and his sidekick several minutes of 'hilarious' banter.

I think if you opt for the speed awareness course and get done for speeding a second time, you should get the fine and points from the first offence, too, as you clearly learned nothing.

Speeding is the highest form of arrogant-couldn't-give-a-damn that there is. And most people who speed probably complain about other people speeding through their town/village.
    I agree, itís a bit like revesing onto someoneís drive that is no longer there and trying to blame the householder because the driver didnít check it was a safe thing to do.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 15th Feb 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    NBLondon
    That's a pretty good idea... I did a course a few years back and it was a useful refresher and gave me a hint as to how I'd ended up speeding (went from a 40 limit to a 30 limit and missed the transition signs). So if I make the same mistake again, I deserve to be hit with the points and fine. At the very least - no second offer of a course if you've done one in the last 10 years or so?
    Womble #7 - Running Total £9.56 $1.99 Ä3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 15th Feb 18, 12:45 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    I'm glad to see that those cameras actually work. I am sick and tired of people making my journey longer by speeding.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    DoaM
    I agree, itís a bit like revesing onto someoneís drive that is no longer there and trying to blame the householder because the driver didnít check it was a safe thing to do.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Ouch .

Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • uknick
    • By uknick 15th Feb 18, 2:49 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    uknick
    Do you want to quantify that statement? Or, do you think doing 80 on a motorway is as bad as doing 40 in a 30?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 15th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Well remembered!
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 16th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Deastons
    Do you want to quantify that statement? Or, do you think doing 80 on a motorway is as bad as doing 40 in a 30?
    Originally posted by uknick
    Personally, yes I do. The law says the maximum speed for the road is 30/40/60/70 etc., and by going faster, you're saying you know better than the experts who have done the research and deemed that the safest speed for the road.

You're ignoring the safety of everyone else on the road, not to mention the health and wellbeing of people who live near the road or happen to be walking along it. The number of times I hear people moan about the fact a road is 40mph when it could easily be 60mph, but they don't for one second consider the air quality difference for all the people living and sleeping along its length.

There's a stretch of the M1 that drops to 50. There's no obvious roadworks and it's only for a short stretch (I suspect there's a problem with the central reservation). Every day I must be the only person who actually slows to 50 - I'm overtaken by lorries, cars and busses that make no effort to slow. But they all know better. They know that the engineers who know the details of the problem and the reason for the reduced limit are mistaken and going at 80mph+ is absolutely fine.

But when a member of their family is injured/killed by a speeding driver, they'll be all over social media complaining about speeding drivers forgetting that they are just as bad as the speeding driver they're complaining about.
    Last edited by Deastons; 16-02-2018 at 8:08 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

8,800Users online

Martin's Twitter