Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,502Posts
    • 5,403Thanks
    another casualty
    TV aerial plugged in , and no signal de ja vu
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    TV aerial plugged in , and no signal de ja vu 14th Feb 18 at 10:38 AM
    Howdy

A few weeks ago, I posted the same problem . Basically , the aerial is plugged in to wall/ tv as usual. I retuned ..and nothing .
    I live on the ground floor , of 4 converted flats .

Thankfully freesat is working . In one way , itís not an issue . In another it is, as if for some reason my phone line packs up like it did in December then Iím left with no tv .

Iíve checked on the internet for reception issues in my area and no faults or maintenance reported.

Seems like it could be external , but Iím reluctant to pay for an engineer to investigate

Your thoughts ?
Page 1
    • googler
    • By googler 14th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 9,692 Thanks
    googler
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    OK, so the aerial lead goes from your TV to a socket in the wall.

What is the socket connected to? Do you have your own aerial behind the socket? Are the four flats connected to a communal aerial?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,403 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    Thanks googler. That has crossed my mind regarding a communal aerial . I am not sure tbh. I have 2 aerial sockets in my flat. 1 in the bedroom and one in the living room. Have not checked the bedroom one . Sorry to sound vague
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 14th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    Is there definitely an aerial in the property?
    We got a house built and the builder included an aerial socket in the living room but no aerial.
    The reason for this is that there are other options available so not everyone wants an aerial, but if they do it would be tricky to put in afterwards, so much easier to provide for it in the first instance.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 14th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,403 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:58 PM
    Thanks pramsay.

Good question . I have only had 2-3 days when there was no signal ,so I assumed that there is. However, when moving into the flat I noticed a cable for sky, or freeesat in my case .
    Iím thinking of sending an email to the managing agents and see if they know anything .
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 14th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 5,780 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    first i would check the bedroom socket. then ask neighbours if they are having any problems before contacting anyone else.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • googler
    • By googler 14th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 9,692 Thanks
    googler
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    Unscrew the aerial sockets from the wall and see if there's any cable behind them, for a start.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 14th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    A communal aerial probably works through an aerial amplifier. This may have failed.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 14th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 19,329 Posts
    • 208,601 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    So before this you got a signal from that socket?

First suggestion is to try the bedroom socket.

Second is to check with neighbours.

It is almost certainly served by a distribution amplifier, it could be something as simple as the cable leading to your socket has become unplugged or failed, or it could be that the amplifier has failed.

This will normally be in communal area, possibly up through a riser where the rest of the cables will be run too.

If it was windy it could well be worth glancing up at the roof to see if the aerial is there. Problem being that if there is a loft the aerial could also be there.

Of course, another option could be damage to your aerial cable, or even that the freeview tuner in your TV has failed.

Slightly confused about freesat being related to the phone line?
    Last edited by Enterprise 1701C; 14-02-2018 at 7:39 PM.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 8,074 Posts
    • 8,925 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    It is quite possible that the bedroom and lounge aerial sockets are connected for the purpose of extending a Sky box output to the bedroom, but that neither are connected to an actual TV aerial. If this is the case your only option is Freesat or trying a set-top / indoor aerial.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 15th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3,502 Posts
    • 5,403 Thanks
    another casualty
    Welll... I connected the aerial to my bedroom tv for the first time .
    I am still adjusting after move etc. I tuned it , and it works .
    I just repeated the process and everything is back to normal .
    How bizarre
    There is a riser cupboard where all the electric meters are in the communal area. It has been opened a lot recently . Maybe there is a communal aerial in there and it has been knocked .

Thanks all for your input.
    If I find out the problem, i will let you know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin