Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 14th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 8,973Posts
    • 21,732Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Password reset questions and feedback
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    Password reset questions and feedback 14th Feb 18 at 10:31 AM
    Hi

Sorry for the lack of notice to the password reset – we should have told you, but we didn’t want to draw attention to the spam creators.

We wanted to clamp down on the amount of spam that gets posted to the forum, and one of the many measures taken was to ask everyone to reset their password, and thus help weed out the bots and disposable accounts.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused, but hopefully most managed to easily reset theirs.

If you can’t remember your password you can get a reset link sent to the email you used to register your account.

If you've changed your email address please update it in your user profile settings. If you're having problems updating it e.g., you no longer have access to the email account you registered with please email the Forum Team telling us your original email address.

As an extra measure we’ve also put in place a 90 day time limit for password expiry, and would appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 14th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 27,594 Posts
    • 15,002 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    They have explained why on two threads and closed the threads directing us here without even addressing the every 5 day issue.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 10,877 Posts
    • 28,923 Thanks
    suki1964
    They have explained why on two threads and closed the threads directing us here without even addressing the every 5 day issue.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie

They have addressed the five day issue, it's now 90 days
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Annabee
    • By Annabee 14th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Annabee
    Because they are a business its probably seen as "not cost effective". At some point, it wouldn't surprise me if they dump the forum as a "cost saving". Which would be a mistake as I'm sure lots of people come here and read the main site because of the forum. If the forum goes, I suspect they'll get a lot less traffic to the main site.
    Originally posted by joeypesci
    This is true I think, another site I use a lot is imdb.com (international movie database) which has practically every film and TV series there ever was listed on there, with all the information on the cast, directors, and also reviews etc, and trailers for new films. Very useful when you recognise an actor from somewhere else, and it is niggling you and you can't remember where! But it also used to have a lively forum, which they axed a couple of years ago. I probably only spend about a third of the time I used to on there, because of this. Site owners shouldn't underestimate the forums.
    • tghe-retford
    • By tghe-retford 14th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 4,152 Thanks
    tghe-retford
    The 90 day lifetime of a password before having to change it again seems overkill. I don't even know of an online banking service which requires a customer to change their password after 90 days, never mind a discussion forum!

As mentioned, there are better ways of dealing with spam on a forum as well as implementing HTTPS which does not result in inconveniencing users.
    • bloss0m
    • By bloss0m 14th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    bloss0m
    The forums are constantly full of spam especially in debt/credit, same spam bot day after day and nothing you have done so far as made much of a difference. if you going to run a forum as popular as this one you need to put the resources in to stop spammers like this, they are ruining this forum.
    Last edited by bloss0m; 14-02-2018 at 7:43 PM.
    • bubieyehyeh
    • By bubieyehyeh 14th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    bubieyehyeh
    90 day password is a totally rubbish way to avoid spam, and just annoy users, find a better way!

Also starting answering peoples questions. If there is nothing wrong, MSE have nothing to fear.

Two common questions for starters...

1) Has the site been hacked
    2) Why isn't the forum served via HTTPS
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 14th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 26,755 Posts
    • 34,800 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    With the change of password why is there still spam on the funny money thread despite the spam notification? Obviously the password change did not work, don't be surprised if another one is needed.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Jinhao159
    • By Jinhao159 14th Feb 18, 10:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Jinhao159
    I got a reply when I reported the problem via the help pages. However, it is not very reassuring.

MSE are trying to ensure our passwords are secure (I haven't worked out how using unencrypted transmission of passwords makes them more secure).

The site isn't less secure, it is just that users are now more aware due to browsers warning us about insecure pages (hmmm... it's OK because I now know it is not secure).

They HOPE to provide https in the coming months (nice to see security of our data is a high priority, I am reassured that I have nothing to worry about).

The reply was:
    "We’re looking at all areas including asking people to make sure their passwords are secure.

It is not possible to connect to the forums with a https connection at the moment. We hope to provide that in the coming months.

As you might be aware, over the past year many websites have started to offer https connections to improve security, and many browsers, including Firefox, have started to highlight websites that have not yet switched over.

Our forums are not any less secure than they have been in the past. It is your browser that is offering more information on your connections. Regards,
    MSE Forum Team"
    At least I have set up a new user ID with a unique password and an old email address that hadn't been used for 2 or 3 years, and was only a back up email then.
    I have not completed any of my personal info such as name, dob etc.
    I will revert to my original user profile when the site is secure, assuming I wait around that long and still trust MSE.
    Also interesting that MSE has not commented on the number of posts asking if there has been a hack or data breach, just commenting about making passwords secure.
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 14th Feb 18, 10:43 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    Guys you need to chill out, Andrea is rushed off her feet trying to deal with all this. I promise you she is doing everything she can. This forum means a hell of a lot to her personally. She'll answer your questions when she can, she can't be around 24hrs a day she is only human!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 14th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Tom99
    Guys you need to chill out, Andrea is rushed off her feet trying to deal with all this. I promise you she is doing everything she can. This forum means a hell of a lot to her personally. She'll answer your questions when she can, she can't be around 24hrs a day she is only human!
    Originally posted by Chickabiddybex
    Why is she rushed off her feet trying to deal with this? Deal with what exactly, hasn't it already been done?

Has there been an emergency? If you decide, out of the blue and after 10+ years to force a password change, you presumably put some forward planning in, like having an answer ready when users ask if MSE has been hacked.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Feb 18, 11:22 PM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 10,985 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Because they are a business its probably seen as "not cost effective". At some point, it wouldn't surprise me if they dump the forum as a "cost saving".
    Originally posted by joeypesci
    I'm afraid this has been my fear for quite some time now. I'm afraid it's rather inevitable with the rise in popularity of other social media.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Feb 18, 11:22 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 52,604 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Wouldn't it be better to simply state whether the website has or hasn't been hacked?
    I think it's the non response to (imho perfectly reasonable) questions about this that is generating such discussion.
    I'm pretty sure that most posters would be happy to 'chill out' when they've been given the answers to their questions.

After all, the thread is titled 'password reset questions and feedback'
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Feb 18, 11:30 PM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 10,985 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Martin Lewis sells MoneySavingExpert for £87m | Money | The Guardian 2012
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jun/01/martin-lewis-sells-moneysavingexpert

Martin Lewis nets £25m after selling Moneysupermarket.com shares ...
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jul/31/saving-expert-martin-lewis-sells-25m-moneysupermarket-shares
    31 Jul 2015
    Originally posted by Sal Harper
    Yes.
    Martin Lewis (who no longer owns or administers this site) has gained lots of money through selling it. Continuing to allow his name and image to be used gains him even more cash.

Why do you think he would now pay for security enhancements to a forum he hasn't used or read for around six years?

I'm frankly amazed that so many think Martin Lewis still has any active involvement in this site...
    • Prof_Green
    • By Prof_Green 14th Feb 18, 11:38 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Prof_Green
    Hi

Sorry for the lack of notice to the password reset !!!8211; we should have told you, but we didn!!!8217;t want to draw attention to the spam creators.

We wanted to clamp down on the amount of spam that gets posted to the forum, and one of the many measures taken was to ask everyone to reset their password, and thus help weed out the bots and disposable accounts.

We!!!8217;re sorry for the inconvenience caused, but hopefully most managed to easily reset theirs.

If you can!!!8217;t remember your password you can get a reset link sent to the email you used to register your account.

If you've changed your email address please update it in your user profile settings. If you're having problems updating it e.g., you no longer have access to the email account you registered with please email the Forum Team telling us your original email address.

As an extra measure we!!!8217;ve also put in place a 90 day time limit for password expiry, and would appreciate your feedback.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    It is pretty insane imo. no other site has such a policy and of course what it means is posters will eventually lock themselves out constantly changing password.

It is a stupid idea, same as making users use more complicated passwords
    which they them have to write down meaning easy access for hackers.

I have never seen and spam and do not care if I do, nobody ever died from spam although processed food does give you cancer.

A mad idea.

Just leave people alone security is their concern not yours if I wanted a nanny
    I'd hired one and I would not be able to afford it anyway.

• Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 14th Feb 18, 11:41 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    She's rushed off her feet dealing with spam is all I meant. No hack. If you want to hear it from her, you'll just have to wait because it's nearly midnight is all I'm saying!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Feb 18, 12:01 AM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 10,985 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    No hack.
    Is that an official (authorised by MSE) response?
    • Nile
    • By Nile 15th Feb 18, 12:15 AM
    • 14,281 Posts
    • 14,241 Thanks
    Nile
    Yes.
    Martin Lewis (who no longer owns or administers this site) has gained lots of money through selling it. Continuing to allow his name and image to be used gains him even more cash.

Why do you think he would now pay for security enhancements to a forum he hasn't used or read for around six years?

I'm frankly amazed that so many think Martin Lewis still has any active involvement in this site...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    The information at the bottom of the page (ABOUT THE SITE) says:

MSE joined the MoneySupermarket group in 2012 and in late 2016 I moved from being Editor-in-Chief of MSE to the highfalutin title of Executive Chairman. That means while I still oversee the site's content, quality, ethics and strategy, the site is day-to-day run by the brilliant MSE team now nearing 100 people.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Feb 18, 12:22 AM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 10,985 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I moved from being Editor-in-Chief of MSE to the highfalutin title of Executive Chairman. That means while I still oversee the site's content, quality, ethics and strategy, the site is day-to-day run by the brilliant MSE team now nearing 100 people.
    Originally posted by Nile
    Didn't I say Lewis has no input in the day-to-day running of the site? He's an "executive chairman", which basically means he still receives a hefty retainer fee for the use of his name and image. That's all.

It's the same as believing Stan Lee still runs Marvel Comics..
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 15th Feb 18, 12:36 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    Is that an official (authorised by MSE) response?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    No you have to wait for Andrea for it to be official but I imagine she's asleep.

I get why people are so upset. It's because they care. Just know that we care too, as do the staff. The spammer is the enemy not us.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Feb 18, 12:39 AM
    • 20,002 Posts
    • 10,985 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    No you have to wait for Andrea for it to be official but I imagine she's asleep.
    She hasn't been forthcoming so far regardless of her waking state!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter