Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 14th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 107Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    Electric usage has quadrupled, what to do?
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    Electric usage has quadrupled, what to do? 14th Feb 18 at 10:21 AM
    If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

I used 1500KWH of electric May 2016-May 2017

The reading that EDF took in February and my reading taken yesterday were classed as too high and so they have refused to take them. Instead they have guessed at a number. (why? no idea)

However the reading I took yesterday is correct inasmuch as this is what the smart meter shows. And it is showing that in the 9 months since the last reading, I have used 6000KWH of electric.

My usage at home hasn't changed, my appliances haven't changed and the house is empty 4 days a week. Our heating is gas powered and this shows an appropriate usage.

Please can anyone advise on what i do and what the problem could be? The current readings will result in an account debit of over £1000 (from a £560 credit) and I am completely panicking about a) paying that back and b) future usage if i'm using 6000KWH in a 9 month period.

Thanks in advance.
Page 5
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 4th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    I am proud of you. You have taken control.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    I'll second that. It does actually feel good to be in control and on top of such matters and it very quickly becomes a satisfying habit rather than a chore - and much more comfortable to live with than suddenly finding things getting away from you. The time invested is minimal compared to the peace of mind it buys you.

Inspired by this thread and other similar ones, I too took my own control a stage further and significantly expanded my recording spreadsheet to include more information from bills and formula to work out my spend at any time, from a meter reading and number of days.

I also personally like it when someone starts a thread like this and embraces the information and help they're given and actually does something with it. Well done from me too!
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 6th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    Yay thank you that does feel good
    I think they were at fault but I am too and ignorance is no excuse.
    It won’t happen to me again I know that
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 23rd Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    Just wanted to update on this.

I rang to make a complaint. In summary my complaint was:

Incorrect meter readings taken
    Incorrect instructions given to me on how to take readings
    No flagging up of an unusual usage which resulted in a credit
    Being instructed to find a smaller number to give when the correct meter reading was considered to be too high
    Having complaint email 1 ignored
    Having complaint email 2 ignored

From the off I asked for them to clear the outstanding debt on the account, after I had already cleared £600. The remaining debt was £186. After some back and forth and some very insulting offers, they did.

Account is now at 0 and I!!!8217;m off to take a meter reading. Tariff ends in June and I cannot wait to switch.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 23rd Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Just wanted to update on this.
    [...]
    Account is now at 0 and I'm off to take a meter reading. Tariff ends in June and I cannot wait to switch.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.
    Originally posted by Kayleighb1
    Thanks for the update, I was only thinking about you earlier and wondering if you were getting anywhere. I like it when people come back with updates and you feel that an issue has reached some closure and people have learned from it - me included.

I had a conversation with my grown up and flat-living son after this thread, about meter readings and he said he'd had a similar problem about a year ago, but now has a routine for reading the meters and submitting them monthly. As he's always so in control I never thought he might not understand this stuff, so I perhaps should have had that conversation with him earlier too. He promised me that he'll keep his own note of them too, not just submit them. You only realise the value of that data yourself with either the fullness of time, or when you hit a snag and wish you'd kept a better eye on it.

And I'm prepared to bet that we've all got into this habit due to hitting a snag at some time in the past and learning the hard way.

Well done, I'm really happy that you've got to a resolution and I can sense the pride in you for getting through this and knowing that you're going to boss this from now on!
    • zorber
    • By zorber 23rd Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    zorber
    mine is 4000kw for 12 months 4 bed terraced house
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 24th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,186 Posts
    • 6,302 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Go Kayleigh, go Kayleigh!

Many thanks for the update; too few people bother and it can sometimes seem ungrateful or downright rude when forumites have given their time and experience. Well done, you. Result!
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,498Posts Today

8,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin