Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 14th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 107Posts
    • 42Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    Electric usage has quadrupled, what to do?
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    Electric usage has quadrupled, what to do? 14th Feb 18 at 10:21 AM
    If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

I used 1500KWH of electric May 2016-May 2017

The reading that EDF took in February and my reading taken yesterday were classed as too high and so they have refused to take them. Instead they have guessed at a number. (why? no idea)

However the reading I took yesterday is correct inasmuch as this is what the smart meter shows. And it is showing that in the 9 months since the last reading, I have used 6000KWH of electric.

My usage at home hasn't changed, my appliances haven't changed and the house is empty 4 days a week. Our heating is gas powered and this shows an appropriate usage.

Please can anyone advise on what i do and what the problem could be? The current readings will result in an account debit of over £1000 (from a £560 credit) and I am completely panicking about a) paying that back and b) future usage if i'm using 6000KWH in a 9 month period.

Thanks in advance.
Page 4
    • ChaunceyGardiner
    • By ChaunceyGardiner 19th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ChaunceyGardiner
    Yes 5kwh is quite reasonable
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Even if the fridge and freezer were running with their doors wide open they could hardly consume almost a kilowatt per hour between them.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 19th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Even if the fridge and freezer were running with their doors wide open they could hardly consume almost a kilowatt per hour between them.
    Originally posted by ChaunceyGardiner
    It was for 30 hours - not 6: 11am yesterday to 5pm today.

Therefore 5 Kwh works out at 167 watts an hour which sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

So that is suggestive of either something you unplugged being very high drain, or your meter is doing something funny. Would be interesting to take a meter reading for the same time period on another day of typical use for comparison, as you now have your yardstick to compare with.
    • ChaunceyGardiner
    • By ChaunceyGardiner 19th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ChaunceyGardiner
    It was for 30 hours - not 6: 11am yesterday to 5pm today..
    Originally posted by BooJewels
    My mistake.
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 20th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    That!!!8217;s a good idea Boo I should be able to do that this weekend.
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 24th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    Have just taken my first reading to monitor an 11am - 5pm(+24hrs) period.

It is showing that since my last reading at 5pm on the 19th I have used 54 units. That doesn’t seem too bad?

Includes 2 tumble dryer uses, normal dishwasher use, and a bit extra too as we had a joiner in who was using electric tools off the mains power.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 24th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    BooJewels
    That certainly sounds better than the numbers in your opening post.

If I'm working it out correctly - your recent reading was for 114 hours of use - so 474w (0.474Kwh) per hour. Extrapolating that for a year would be 4152Kwh per year (11.4Kwh/day) - certainly lower than the 8000Kwh your smart meter reading suggested you were using recently - but obviously higher than the previous year - in fact, it's bang in the middle of those two extremes - suggestive, at this early stage, that both were wrong and reality was possibly somewhere in the middle.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 24th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    House Martin
    May 17 was submitted by me and verified with similar readings from the provider. It is a smart meter but not an EDF one so readings aren't automatic. Not sure about May 16.

It is possible that 1500KWH was under if the May 16 reading was wrong, but that doesn't then account for 6000KWH in the following 9 months. And that is an accurate reading definitely.

There is literally nothing in my home that could be sucking up that level of electric. All heating is gas. We use the normal appliances, energy saving bulbs and we are pretty good about turning off lights etc. Most appliances are A/A+ rated and all are under 4 years old.

Could the meter be faulty?
    Not sure what my next steps are given that EDF wont accept the reading.
    Originally posted by Kayleighb1
    It could be faulty. We have had a few digital gas meters going bonkers on here over the years .
    What make of smart meter is it. ?
    Be aware the Secure Liberty smart meters for some unearthly reason not only display KW reading on screen 1 but also it displays KVarh reading on one of the other screens. Possible area for mistakes on dumb smart meters.
    This meter is the only domestic electric meter to display the KVarh reading in the UK. It is used by large businesses.
    Secure Liberty meters are now used, in their ignorance, by Eon as well as a few smaller suppliers such as Ovo, Utilita, First Utility
    Last edited by House Martin; 24-02-2018 at 3:07 PM.
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 25th Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    Took my reading earlier and was 17 for 30 hours so 13.6 a day, but that is a weekend day.

Am going to take weekly readings for awhile but all seems ok in terms of use. I think pp are right that there has been more than one faulty reading and I am now dealing with probably 2 years worth of use.

For my own ref today!!!8217;s reading was 11357
    Last edited by Kayleighb1; 25-02-2018 at 7:55 PM.
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 25th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    It is a secure liberty meter yes
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 25th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Took my reading earlier and was 17 for 30 hours so 13.6 a day, but that is a weekend day.
    That certainly sounds like a plausible amount for a family home at a weekend - and in line with your weekday average of - what did I work it out as - 11.4Kwh?

Am going to take weekly readings for awhile but all seems ok in terms of use.
    I'd concur. I have no idea how you're going to unravel the issue of these peculiar historical readings, but I do think, as myself and others have already stated, that taking your own regular readings and keeping a record of them cannot possibly be anything other than useful.

This just gives you ammunition when finding yourself in situations like you are now - if you can prove a track record of typical use and that you have done the responsible thing and kept track of it as you go along. My electricity company tried to put my DD up by about 55% this time last year and when I reeled off my typical use for the last 4 years, they had to agree that their estimated projection of my future use was a bit enthusiastic and by the end of the conversation, dropped my DD by a tenner, as I was a chunk in credit.

What I do is put a post it note on the calendar and when I've done the reading, just pop it onto the following month to remind me again. It's just one of the tedious responsibilities that comes with being a grown up! I'm certain that over time, the few minutes you invest, will end up paying dividends.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 26th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    Smodlet
    We live, we learn. Call me sad but I actually enjoy arithmetic so working out last month's usage on the first of the month is no chore to me and it is always good to take control of a situation, imo. How many areas of our lives do we really have much control over?

A few minutes of calculations once a month will soon become normal, maybe even satisfying to you. Any future issues will be far easier to resolve as they will only ever be a month old so no going back over however many bills, trying to figure out what went wrong when.

If EDF have made a mess of your readings, Kayleighb1, I would still ask for compensation as it is their responsibility to ensure their meter readers know how to do their jobs. Good luck.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 26th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    brianposter
    FWIW we are in another country but currently have a lawsuit going against the electricity supplier on the basis that the smart meter was just plain wrong for a period of 4 months.

We know this because the smart metering seems to be somewhat more advanced than in the UK and one can get hourly readings from the suppliers website; the hourly readings appear to show the correct electricity consumption. I suspect that the problem was something to do with software updates to the meter, but it could be something else entirely.

In such circumstances it would seem that you need a reasonably accurate idea of usage for a full year before it is practicable to argue about a previous year.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 26th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 3,404 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    S0litaire
    If it keeps being an issue you might think of picking up one of those "clamp" energy monitors like this (others are available for cheaper!!) :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Efergy-3-0-Wireless-Management-Compatible/dp/B0074HN5HW

So you have an independent reading of your usage direct from the cable into your house and match that against the the readings your meter provides. It might be more useful if the meter is inaccurate than just taking weekly meter readings.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 26th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    House Martin

Am going to take weekly readings for awhile but all seems ok in terms of use. I think pp are right that there has been more than one faulty reading and I am now dealing with probably 2 years worth of use.

For my own ref today!!!8217;s reading was 11357
    Don`t trust any readings from meter readers. We read for EDF, BG and Scot Power at Morrisons Data Services.The training on the Secure Liberty meters is nothing more than email ! lots of meter readers will be getting these meter reads incorrect especially if the meter is positioned in an awkward spot viewed at an angle.They really are the worlds worst meter by a country mile and mistakes are highly likely. I would nt be surprised if some readers ( we have plenty of badly trained agency staff ) are inputting the KVarh readings in instead of Kwh or even missing the hard to see decimal point on the 8 digits displayed on screen one. First 7 digits only are used and that is two more than any domestic electric meter needs..
    I keep berating Eon for choosing these meters now because they are cheap to buy. They will regret it.
    Last edited by House Martin; 26-02-2018 at 2:12 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 26th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    matelodave
    If it keeps being an issue you might think of picking up one of those "clamp" energy monitors like this (others are available for cheaper!!) :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Efergy-3-0-Wireless-Management-Compatible/dp/B0074HN5HW

So you have an independent reading of your usage direct from the cable into your house and match that against the the readings your meter provides. It might be more useful if the meter is inaccurate than just taking weekly meter readings.
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    These will give you a very rough idea but you cannot use them to check you meter unless it's way out. A lot depends on what you are running - motor driven stuff like a washing machine or fridge/freezer is more inaccurate than say an electric kettle or heater.
    They cannot measure your actual supply voltage which can vary during the day and will affect your consumption. They can't directly measure your power but infer it from the magnetic field around your incoming power cable.

I've got a couple (one for heating and one for the rest of the house) and I reckon that they are sort of within about 10% but they are useful in checking what's on and when - some libraries will lend you one for a couple of weeks.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 27th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    so 6000KWH is the norm for a 3-bed property over a 9 month period? if so maybe i just need to suck this up. just a shock at how much it has changed.
    No, this is not "the norm" for a house as you describe it. I live in a large, high-ceilinged, 1930s three bedroom detached house with only my husband. We have pretty much all the electrical appliances - fridge, freezer, washer, drier, telly, lights, router, laptops, Sonos, all that rigmarole, and we regularly use 3500 kw annually. On the other hand, due to my husband's heart condition, we use 18,000kwhs of gas per annum with a band new boiler and Hive, down from 25,000kwhs before boiler replacement.

I reckon something is wrong.
    Last edited by lisa110rry; 27-02-2018 at 3:34 PM. Reason: add the word detached
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    !!!8213; Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 1st Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    Smodlet
    It has just dawned on me it is the first of the month so, rather than sitting here reading all these posts, I had better go and read some meters!
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Kayleighb1
    • By Kayleighb1 4th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Kayleighb1
    11444 just now

87 for the week
    12.4 per day

Again, building works going on one of those days. Pretty happy with that usage. Think it!!!8217;s safe to say something has gone wrong with past reading.

I have emailed my complaint to edf plus a follow up email. Both have been ignored. Will be phoning tomorrow.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 4th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    BooJewels
    That sounds rather better and well in line with the other test numbers you've done recently. I calculate, on my own tariff, that would give rise to an annual bill of around £650 - but possibly less as you're likely to use less in summer.

It's less than I use, but I work at home and like to have heating and lighting on and whilst I'm not stupidly wasteful, I don't skimp either.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 4th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    Smodlet
    11444 just now

87 for the week
    12.4 per day

Again, building works going on one of those days. Pretty happy with that usage. Think it!!!8217;s safe to say something has gone wrong with past reading.

I have emailed my complaint to edf plus a follow up email. Both have been ignored. Will be phoning tomorrow.

Please don't take this as patronising, Kayleighb1, because it is sincere; I am proud of you. You have taken control. Please do not quit until you get somewhere with the compensation. Energy companies rely on customers getting fed up and giving up; persistence really does pay off. Yay, Kayleighb!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin