Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • achiles87
    • By achiles87 14th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Possible Private Sale - Is home report needed
    • #1
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    Possible Private Sale - Is home report needed 14th Feb 18 at 10:19 AM

    We are looking to put our house on the market as we want to downsize and one of our neighbours has expressed an interest on a possible swap, depending on the value of both properties.

    I have been onto a few companies for quotes on home reports and the quotes are based on the value of the property. As the property has had a granny flat added a few years ago it is unique and I have no idea what its worth. I have took a punt at what I think based on how much the main house would be worth and some of the quotes are a tad expensive. It seems strange that we want a report for a value but need to provide an estimated value to get a report?

    Do we need a full home report if we agree a private sale, there is conflicting information on this and would rather not pay for one of its not needed. Obviously we would need some type of valuation needed but would we need the full report?

Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 7,847 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • #2
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    (for the benefit of viewers south of the border, we're talking about Scotland)

    No Home Report needed if you're not marketing the property. You can leave it to the buyers to sort out whatever valuation/survey they want. Presumably whatever arrangement you come to will be mutual for their own property anyway.

    You do need to get an Energy Performance Certificate. Though in practice I suspect only the fussier solicitors would try to enforce that.

    The estimated value for fees thing has long been how surveys of any sort work.
    Last edited by davidmcn; 14-02-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    • achiles87
    • By achiles87 14th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • #3
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    Thanks, should have confirmed Scotland.

    The actual original properties are the exact size, the only difference being the extension that has been built. So in essence we pretty much need the valuation of the extension as that will be the price differential.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

594Posts Today

6,304Users online

Martin's Twitter