Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jefflad
    • By jefflad 14th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jefflad
    Best use of some money
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:33 AM
    Best use of some money 14th Feb 18 at 8:33 AM
    Hi,

Just a quick question that I'm wanting advice on.

I've a 0% credit card coming to an end and was planning on paying it off (5.5k) and was all set to but I'm wondering if I should just transfer this money onto another 0% and throw the money at my mortgage (100k @ 2.5% with 15 years left) or car payment (250/month 9.9% 25 months left with a final payment of 6k)?

My new thinking is the car loan (higher interest) but I'm not sure if I should kill that amount of CC debt as we will be remortgaging in the summer and wonder what would reflect best on us to ensure we get the best possible deal. Does it make any difference where I reduce debt? from a loan that will expire in a couple of years or from a credit card who's debt could live with me for a lot longer and who knows how long 0% deals will be around for if interest rates rise as they are reported to?

Hope this makes sense but any questions just ask.
Page 1
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 14th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    Can you pay off the 5.5K with savings in the future when the propose next 0% expires?

If so, pay off the car loan (ensure no penalty) continue to pay the 250 pm as well (if allowed)

Time it so the next 0% is paid off in full before you apply for remortgage etc.

Try to stop the spending especially on cards as they will affect how much you can borrow in the future.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 14th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    If you can get another 0% balance transfer deal with a high enough credit limit to transfer the full balance then I'd go for that option and pay off the car loan with your current cash. You're right to want to pay off the highest interest debt first.

Just don't make any more credit applications after that until you remortgage in the summer.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 11lb lost so far
    April's Goals - 16/21 NSD - 16/20 Lunches - 22/28 AFD - 22/31 TAFD (take away free days)
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • jefflad
    • By jefflad 14th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jefflad
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    Thanks both... So lets say I pay some of my capital off the car, balance transer to another 0% would my mortgage application be any worse off for paying off some of my car loan and not clearing a credit card. I don't think I could save the same amount again before my current mortgage deal is due to expire.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 14th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    It just makes more sense to reduce the balance with the highest interest first. If your car is on pcp I'm assuming you'll pay off the part that is financed (6250? assuming 25 x 250) which will leave the balloon payment at the end of the deal in 2 years time (6000)

If you have 5500 available just now that only leaves another 750 to pay off the financed portion of the pcp deal which I'm assuming you'll be able pay off before the summer saving you 2 years worth of interest? Have you requested a settlement figure for the car finance?

If you pay the credit card off, you'll have 1 less outgoing but in turn will pay more in interest in the long run.

How much surplus income do you have each month? Might be clearer for us to assess if you post an SOA

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 11lb lost so far
    April's Goals - 16/21 NSD - 16/20 Lunches - 22/28 AFD - 22/31 TAFD (take away free days)
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 14th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    When does your current mortgage deal expire?
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • jefflad
    • By jefflad 14th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jefflad
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:34 PM
    Thanks,

I'm going to pay the car and the remaining balance next month and have 2 years of 'interest free' and if the remortgage is an issue take it from there in August when it's due... A lot can happen in 6 months.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    I'd start to look at mortgage deals around 12-14 weeks before your deal ends, your current provider will most likely offer you a retention deal but best to have a back-up plan in place just incase they're not competitive.

I'm also re-mortgaging this year so I understand your concerns

Best wishes
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • jefflad
    • By jefflad 14th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jefflad
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:57 PM
    Wow that far... I usually spend a week before

Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but from what I've read, May could see a sizeable rise and who knows by August :-/
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 12,396 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    What is the LTV of the mortgage?

Based on the above information I would pay off the most expensive debt first which is the car loan although when you talk about a final payment is this PCP and do you have the option to repay early or will they ask for balloon payment early?

The amount you were paying on the loan you should use to repay the credit card. The lower overall debt you have when you come to remortgage the better.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 14th Feb 18, 8:04 PM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 6,373 Thanks
    theoretica
    Remember there is usually a fee to transfer to another 0% so they can be a worse deal than they sound at first.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,321Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin