Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neons
    • By neons 14th Feb 18, 12:45 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    neons
    Credit only available for purchases
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:45 AM
    Credit only available for purchases 14th Feb 18 at 12:45 AM
    Hi guys, I currently own on a credit card with a 3.2k limit, I have around 290 left to spend on it but have been told I can't use this for Cash transactions which include cash advances, the purchase of foreign currency and travellers cheques, Cash-Like Transactions, money orders and wire transfers.

However I am able to use this money for purchases, the problem is have is I dont currently have the card p hysically with me as I am abroad, although I do have all the necessary details from the card with me to be able to use it - my question is is there anyway I can use the card in terms or purchasing something such as a paypal gift card for a friend of anything else I can't think of as I am quite desperate to access this money and am frankly all out of ideas.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 14th Feb 18, 4:46 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:46 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:46 AM
    Hi guys, I currently own on a credit card with a 3.2k limit, I have around 290 left to spend on it but have been told I can't use this for Cash transactions which include cash advances, the purchase of foreign currency and travellers cheques, Cash-Like Transactions, money orders and wire transfers.

However I am able to use this money for purchases, the problem is have is I dont currently have the card p hysically with me as I am abroad, although I do have all the necessary details from the card with me to be able to use it - my question is is there anyway I can use the card in terms or purchasing something such as a paypal gift card for a friend of anything else I can't think of as I am quite desperate to access this money and am frankly all out of ideas.

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by neons

Your situation really doesn't sound like you should be trying to borrow more money, and I'd advise against it.

That said, given you're abroad and it's understandable that it's possible to get stuck, and if you really need to get yourself out of a hole, then technically yes, you could add the card to PayPal and wire your friend money, which they could then give you in the form of actual cash, but how would they do that if you're abroad? If they're with you, why can't they just lend you the $ until you get home?

Also, so you're aware, if you add the card to something like PayPal, there's always the chance it could be blocked if you instantly use it to send cash to someone...unlikely at the sub GBP 300 level, but something to bear in mind.
    • neons
    • By neons 14th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neons
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    You could add the card to PayPal and wire your friend money, which they could then give you in the form of actual cash, but how would they do that if you're abroad? If they're with you, why can't they just lend you the $ until you get home?
    Originally posted by guesswho2000
    My friend isn't with me, so I was hoping I could send him the money as a 'gift' per say through paypal and he in returns wires it from his bank to mine.

If you or anyone else knows any alternative way I could do this I'd be all ears, I know it's far from an ideal situation but it's simple something short term and 'borrowing' from friends/family is out of the question right now.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 6,814 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    Are you saying you've travelled abroad without taking your credit card and you don't have any alternative sources of funds (other cards, cash, TCs, etc) or anyone else either with you or back at home who can help? Sounds like consular assistance may be your only hope, or throwing yourself at the mercy of your airline (?) to fly you home sooner than you'd planned....
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 14th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 7,605 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:39 AM
    My friend isn't with me, so I was hoping I could send him the money as a 'gift' per say through paypal and he in returns wires it from his bank to mine.

If you or anyone else knows any alternative way I could do this I'd be all ears, I know it's far from an ideal situation but it's simple something short term and 'borrowing' from friends/family is out of the question right now.
    By the time you have done all that and paid the fees for each transaction, there wouldn't be much of your 290 left.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 10,492 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    Perhaps not the best planned trip.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM

Do you have your bank card with you to be able to withdraw funds in the local currency where you are?

In theory what you are proposing should work. Make sure you understand the fees involved and adjust the amount you want to send accordingly because you will have to pay the fee:
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Is this credit card that you want to use already added to your Paypal account? If it isn't, the only problem I can see is when you add it, Paypal send a small amount to the card and you have to be able to verify the amount before you can use the card. Do you have online access to this credit card to be able to do that and view transactions?

Do you trust this friend enough for them to actually bank transfer the money back to you safely?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 14th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    T-G-C
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    You should not be abroad with one source of financial aid. A credit card, where used to its core, will often become unreliable for accessing funds.

The provider, who is looking out for both parties' interest, has limited access to cash transactions due to the high % utilization of the credit limit assigned.

If needing immediate relief of cash, contact a family member or trusted friend to assist. For the time being, the provider, within their rights, will ensure no further risk is exposed to them.
    All advice provided is intended for guidance purposes only. For specialized debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange.
    • neons
    • By neons 14th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neons
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:37 PM
    Do you have your bank card with you to be able to withdraw funds in the local currency where you are?

In theory what you are proposing should work. Make sure you understand the fees involved and adjust the amount you want to send accordingly because you will have to pay the fee:

Is this credit card that you want to use already added to your Paypal account? If it isn't, the only problem I can see is when you add it, Paypal send a small amount to the card and you have to be able to verify the amount before you can use the card. Do you have online access to this credit card to be able to do that and view transactions?

Do you trust this friend enough for them to actually bank transfer the money back to you safely?
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    The answer to all of your questions is yes, although I didn't have paypal send the small amount to me... I just added the card to paypal and sent the money on which it went through... it's now left my credit card (I checked online) and my friend confirms it's in his paypal but on 'hold'. Do you have any idea how long this will be on hold for? I read online for as long as 21 days?? That can't be right for such a simple transaction.

By the time you have done all that and paid the fees for each transaction, there wouldn't be much of your 290 left.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    It costs 9 to send through paypal and about the same to withdraw from an ATM here so where are you getting these figures from?
    Last edited by neons; 14-02-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    Candyapple
    I have just gone through a similar ordeal, I am a resident of the Uk & my Mom Lives in the Caribbean, she & I decided to try Paypal after years of using Western Union & growing tired of their hit & miss, incredibly expensive service. Thinking we were upgrading... alas 7 days in & 6 customer service calls later... despite my Mother & My efforts I was consistantly getting the "Pending" response when she tried to send me money. We tried the direct way selecting "Send Money" following steps, when that failed, I tried sending a "Request for funds" but was informed by one of the representitives that this would also be recieved as a "Seller" as the request had been sent as a "Seller" despite me never selecting this option? So with that in mind I took one last stab at it & created a "PayPal.Me Link" this seemed simple enough... I selected the "Friends & Family" option & we thought this was a marvellously simple solution we had simply missed because we were new to the service. Alas same outcome... the dreaded "Pending" funds. Finally today I dug up this forum & discovered others had experienced this problem too... Decided I would give Customer Service one more shot & called back hoping someone may still be able to help. I ended up speaking to a Lovely Lady who actually sounded like she knew what she was doing... she identified the problem as something she had seen before, apparently "Certain Countries Don't Allow The Gift or Friends & Family option for Paypal". She said she needed to check to make sure, she then confirmed it was on the "List of Countries" who have this "Option Barred". This isn't something I was aware of & it has cost me alot of time. So I post in the hope that this may be of use to someone else in the future so they can save the time I wasted. I still see use for Paypal but the service Isn't as advertised & the CSR's that answered the other five times I called this week all seemed very hands off & abysmal to my issue & it was utterly frustrating. Thank God someone finally could give me a straight answer even if it's not the answer I want... it's an end to the questioning of what was going wrong & where... the last person I spoke to asked me if I couldn't send someone to do the transaction for my Mother.... & didn't take the time to check if her Country was one of those that is "Only Allowed Seller/ Buyer Accounts". Just assumed the fault lay with User Error & call it a day. Hey Paypal may have it's uses... but today I discovered this "False Claim of Instant Transfer" isn't one of them.
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Sending-and-receiving-money/Payment-to-friends-and-family-still-pending/td-p/1022769/page/2?profile.language=en-gb

What country are you in?

And yes, Paypal payments 'on hold' can and do take the full 21 days before they release funds. You would need to call them to see if there is anything you can do to hurry along the process but I suspect you won't get a straight answer.

Can you friend not loan you the money regardless? They can see you've sent it to them, but I would imagine that it would come down to trust and whether they had spare funds available.

When are you due back in the UK?

Can you apply for an overdraft online for the bank card that you do have with you?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • neons
    • By neons 15th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neons
    FWIW, It worked... it was put on hold for a meer 24 hours then my friend sent it to his bank and transfered to to mine.

Thanks for taking the time to help CandyApple.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 15th Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    Candyapple
    FWIW, It worked... it was put on hold for a meer 24 hours then my friend sent it to his bank and transfered to to mine.

Thanks for taking the time to help CandyApple.
    You're welcome, just remember next time to take more than one card with you!
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 15th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 5,210 Posts
    • 4,416 Thanks
    glentoran99

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Originally posted by Candyapple

that's only for using your bank account
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,103Users online

Martin's Twitter