Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 13th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 6,724Posts
    • 3,628Thanks
    chattychappy
    Pre-loading CC - your experience
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    Pre-loading CC - your experience 13th Feb 18 at 11:32 PM
    I regularly use Zero/Clarity to obtain foreign cash overseas. By regularly, I mean weekly, sometimes daily but always at least a couple of times a month.

Typically I pay off the withdrawn amount a couple of days later so I pay only pence in interest.

The question often comes up "can I pre-load my CC to avoid paying interest?". The answers are usually:

1) It's against your T+Cs
    2) It's not worth the risk of getting your card blocked/cancelled
    3) It will only be a few pence anyway.

Consumer lending follows a different regulatory regime to deposit taking, so CCs really aren't meant to allow people to run positive balances.

Given the question is always being asked, I wonder what peope's real experience of doing it is...

In my case, I accidentally sent an extra 800 to Santander Zero 3 weeks ago. I only just noticed and have made 3 ATM withdrawals in the meantime without a hitch.
Page 1
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 14th Feb 18, 4:52 AM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:52 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:52 AM
    I regularly use Zero/Clarity to obtain foreign cash overseas. By regularly, I mean weekly, sometimes daily but always at least a couple of times a month.

Typically I pay off the withdrawn amount a couple of days later so I pay only pence in interest.

The question often comes up "can I pre-load my CC to avoid paying interest?". The answers are usually:

1) It's against your T+Cs
    2) It's not worth the risk of getting your card blocked/cancelled
    3) It will only be a few pence anyway.

Consumer lending follows a different regulatory regime to deposit taking, so CCs really aren't meant to allow people to run positive balances.

Given the question is always being asked, I wonder what peope's real experience of doing it is...

In my case, I accidentally sent an extra 800 to Santander Zero 3 weeks ago. I only just noticed and have made 3 ATM withdrawals in the meantime without a hitch.
    Originally posted by chattychappy

I did it many years ago when I wanted cheap cash to buy a car. Barclaycard offered 6.9% for life BTs with no fee, so I transferred a several thousand pound "balance" from NatWest, resulting in the NW card being in credit, which I then asked them to txfer to my current account.

No issues whatsoever. Though I definitely wouldn't recommend that course of action, I wasn't doing anything illegal, so the worst I expected was a block or funds returning, I considered it worth a try at the time!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 19,913 Posts
    • 15,623 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    Other than the possibility (which seems quite remote) of the card being blocked or even cancelled, I think the main issue is that one that you hint at of not having S75 protection if you make a purchase using funds that had put the card into credit. Whether this has ever happened is, I guess, one of the things that you're trying to find out in this thread.
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    T-G-C
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    If it is a reasonable amount and for a short period of time, Capital One will allow the credit balance to sit until consumed.

That being said, it should not be a frequent practice nor one of excessive volume. Due to how credit cards operate, it is a serious violation to put them into credit intentionally.

In some circumstances, where there is a refund or small overpayment, the provider will often work with the customer to remove the credit balance ASAP. Where there is evidence of fraud, intentional credit or a frequent occurrence, there are grounds for the lender to terminate their credit agreement with you.

The overall advice is to avoid being in credit -- and where it happens, work with the provider to correct the balance ASAP to avoid unnecessary infraction.

If wanting to avoid interest through spending a positive balance on a credit card, use a debit card instead, which is designed for such. As Section 75 protection does not apply, there is no benefit to avoiding a debit card.
    All advice provided is intended for guidance purposes only. For specialized debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,796Users online

Martin's Twitter