Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dh-housewife
    • By dh-housewife 13th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dh-housewife
    0 WOW
    Incoming euros
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    0 WOW
    Incoming euros 13th Feb 18 at 10:44 PM
    I can’t find this advice anywhere, even our bank was stumped. Daughter has €7,000 in German account to transfer to uk bank account now she’s moved back to the UK. Can't find out cheapest way. Help please. THANK YOu.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Feb 18, 4:55 AM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:55 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 4:55 AM
    It's quite easy and no different to sending money from the UK, using a transfer service such as TransferWise, Azimo, etc. Comparison sites such as Monito or fxcompared will indicate the cheapest in the circumstances, I normally use TransferWise or Revolut.
    • dh-housewife
    • By dh-housewife 14th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dh-housewife
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:58 AM
    Oh! Thank you. That seems simple enough. Do you think there would be much variation in general euro rates ie not between shops but the general stability of the pound v euro? We seem to be up for losing £1000 currently as we!!!8217;d always worked on euro/£ parity in our head
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    EUR/GBP parity has never occurred, the euro currently being worth 89p (at mid-market rate) is relatively in your favour for a transfer now.

But there's no point in trying to predict exchange rate movements unless you're a forex dealer, or in considering what you are 'up for losing' (or gaining) as a result of a misconception.

Just try to get the best rate, i.e. closest to the mid-market or interbank rate, with the lowest or zero fee. For example TransferWise gives you the interbank rate for a 0.5% fee, so the transfer would cost Eur35, whereas some other services are fee-free but put a margin on the exchange rate. So the comparison sites come in handy to see which is cheapest for moving a particular amount between certain currencies/countries. See xe.com for the current mid-market rate.
    • J B
    • By J B 14th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    It's quite easy and no different to sending money from the UK, using a transfer service such as TransferWise, Azimo, etc. Comparison sites such as Monito or fxcompared will indicate the cheapest in the circumstances, I normally use TransferWise or Revolut.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    I have always used https://www.currencyfair.com/
    • dh-housewife
    • By dh-housewife 14th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dh-housewife
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    My daughter is saying that her bank may charge her for sending the money. She can!!!8217;t/won!!!8217;t ask as she!!!8217;s back here and she says she doesn!!!8217;t speak good enough German.
    She!!!8217;s with Sparkasse. Does anyone know? Thanks.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 14th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 12,073 Posts
    • 8,213 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    My daughter is saying that her bank may charge her for sending the money. She can!!!8217;t/won!!!8217;t ask as she!!!8217;s back here and she says she doesn!!!8217;t speak good enough German.
    She!!!8217;s with Sparkasse. Does anyone know? Thanks.
    Originally posted by dh-housewife
    Well, most British banks would charge a fee to send a payment in Euro to Germany, so it would not be surprising if her German bank did the same. Best to use the excellent solutions provided above: in effect she would open a Euro account with the currency broker; the German bank would send them a payment (in Euro) and so would not charge; then the broker would send her a corresponding payment in sterling.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    Sparkasse will charge something for a direct bank to bank transfer to a UK bank, which may also charge a fee to receive and would certainly give you a lousy rate converting it to pounds.

But none of this applies when you use a transfer service (broker), it's a free SEPA transfer in euros to their eurozone account, then they pay the pounds from their UK account into yours - so no bank charges.
    • dh-housewife
    • By dh-housewife 14th Feb 18, 11:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dh-housewife
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:08 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:08 PM
    Thank you everyone, much appreciated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,248Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin