Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yellow218
    • By yellow218 13th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 150Thanks
    yellow218
    Ideas on how to be greener and save money
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    Ideas on how to be greener and save money 13th Feb 18 at 9:58 PM
    2018 resolution to try to be greener.
    - check supermarket prices for loose and packaged veg to avoid non-recyclable plastic use
    - only filling the kettle with the amount of water needed. We use a job too kettle and we are really noticing the difference in the time it takes to boil. Will no doubt save money on gas.
    - bag of water in the toilet cistern
    - nagging hubby to turn off the lights !!!129325;

Other ideas??

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 22-02-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Page 5
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 15th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I absolutely love easiyo yoghurt. It is a powder that comes in a sachet that you make up yourself. You get 1kg of yoghurt from one sachet so think of all the pots saved there. I get them from Holland and Barrett when they have them buy one get one half price. Works out about £3 for a 1kg and it's the thickest yoghurt you will find. My toddler eats his weight in it!!
    We also you all our kitchen scraps to make compost.
    We try to grow a lot of our own fruit and veg which I make into jam and chutney or gets chopped up and put in the freezer.
    We tend to do a lot of the things people have mentioned.
    Also the biggest one for us at the moment is reusable nappies and wipes. The wipes from cheeky wipes are the best. They also do cloth sanitary towels which are good.
    • CosmicZebra
    • By CosmicZebra 16th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    CosmicZebra
    I use white vinegar instead of fabric softener and mix it with water and a bit of stardrops as a spray cleaner. Old tea towels, t shirts etc are re-purposed as rags. Use flannel and soap for people washing. I tried an eco shampoo bar but I've got v long hair and it just didn't work. Water butt used for the garden. Trying Nematodes for slug repelling. Wash the cars with a basin and old rags. We walk for all local journeys but work is too far and public transport too complicated so we have 2 cars. I get fruit and veg from the local grocer- they don't plastic wrap and I bought mesh bags from Amazin to cut down. I take a flask to work and out and about and put sandwiches in old takeaway boxes instead of clingfilm. I make a lot of clothes, and buy the fabric but I've been thinking about buying clothes from CS and reusing the fabric. Does anyone do this?
    Savings from frugal & simple living:
    Jan ISA& Save Acc £1600 Mort o/paid £250
    Feb ISA&save acc £1330.89 Mort o/paid£500
    March ISA&save ac£811.35 mort o/paid £250
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 5,134 Posts
    • 38,312 Thanks
    joedenise
    I've used fabric from CS. Just wash the garment, unpick or cut the seams off, iron and then use as new material.

Used sheets & quilt covers are good for summer dresses! I'm a size 10-12 and tend to try and buy size 16+ clothes to reuse. If the fabric looks and feels good then I'm happy to pay a couple of pound or so and then make up something I can wear.

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,101Posts Today

6,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin