Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • acp94
    • By acp94 13th Feb 18, 8:14 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    acp94
    BP customer service - any advice??
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:14 PM
    BP customer service - any advice?? 13th Feb 18 at 8:14 PM
    Hi everyone, apologies if this isn't the right area to post this - not entirely sure what this would come under!
    My partner was involved in an incident between a car wash in Spain (BP garage) and a hire car. Long story short, he was charged for damages, despite it being the garage's fault, and we eventually got his credit card company to take over and resolve it on our behalf.

Now, we have been in contact with BP since the incident happened, and were advised back in November that we would receive a good-will gesture for our troubles. As it happened in Spain, they were going to liaise with the UK team to ensure we got something worth our while (rather than a Spanish fuel card which would be pretty useless to us!)
    Anywho, endless chasing to the UK team, I feel I'm being fobbed off now with lame excuses of "we can't get in touch with the Spanish team" and such. I actually have the contact number of the person ealing with our case in Spain (she advised my partner to use that to get in touch with her via whatsapp..) and she's reading our messages and ignoring them, and ignoring our calls.

I'm starting to get to the end of my tether here, as it's been over 5 months since the incident and 3 months since we received an email from our Spanish liaison advising we'd get this "good will gesture".

Does anyone have any advice on where we stand at this point? I'm very stubborn so won't be letting this go easily, but I'm really unimpressed with BP's customer service and how little care they have for how long this is taking!
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 13th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 18,700 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    I'd be minded to let it go really, but then I don't know the money involved or how much you value your time. You have to weigh up whether the hassle is worth the 'goodwill'.

Goodwill is just that, they are not obliged to offer you anything other than you being put back in the position you were in before the incident. And it sounds like your credit card company have done that.

• Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 13th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:41 PM
    There's not much you can do in the circumstances. You don't even know what they mean by a goodwill gesture. Could be a fiver or a box of chocolates.
    • acp94
    • By acp94 13th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    acp94
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:44 PM
    They did advise the good will gesture would be in the form of nectar points, so transferable for groceries/petrol etc. but yeah, no idea on the figure!
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 13th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,473 Posts
    • 9,575 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    Highly likely that it actually has nothing to do with BP as a company as the garages are franchised in the main. So you really are looking at goodwill.
    • acp94
    • By acp94 13th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    acp94
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    It was a franchise, but it is BP I'm dealing directly with regarding the good will.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Feb 18, 11:09 PM
    • 19,999 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:09 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:09 PM
    It was a franchise, but it is BP I'm dealing directly with regarding the good will.
    Originally posted by acp94
    Sounds like the Spanish operation have simply fobbed you off to the UK one which has no liability.
    I wouldn't waste any more time with this. Your case is already concluded and you've suffered no loss.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 14th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 3,832 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    Why would the CC company get involved? I'm confused if OP damaged car at a car wash whether their fault or not who is the CC company claiming the money from?

The car hire people?
    • acp94
    • By acp94 14th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    acp94
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    BP franchise agreed liability and had their insurance waiting to send money to the car hire, who wouldn't rpely to any emails and did not have a telephone customer service (so I would avoid InterRent if you want to hire a car!). After a couple of months trying to get in touch with car hire to get them to speak with the insurance who were happy to fay the costs, for the hire company to refund to us, we contacted our CC and they took it over, refunded the fees and interest and are now taking it up themselves with the car hire.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I think you've had the gesture - it just wasn't the goodwill one you were expecting!
    • colcheslad
    • By colcheslad 14th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    colcheslad
    Have you tried calling the Spanish number? You could try withholding your number so that they don't know its you calling,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,307Users online

Martin's Twitter