Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Homeagain
    • By Homeagain 13th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    • 537Posts
    • 740Thanks
    Homeagain
    Council Tax Query
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:25 PM
    Council Tax Query 13th Feb 18 at 6:25 PM
    My daughter is claiming Universal Credit but has just had surgery to her foot and will have the same surgery to her other foot once she is over the first operation. She is on crutches and will take approximately 2 - 3 months before she is walking and able to work. In these circumstances, will I be entitled to any reduction in Council Tax? I am finding it very difficult to make ends meet as I do not earn very much.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    My daughter is claiming Universal Credit but has just had surgery to her foot and will have the same surgery to her other foot once she is over the first operation. She is on crutches and will take approximately 2 - 3 months before she is walking and able to work. In these circumstances, will I be entitled to any reduction in Council Tax? I am finding it very difficult to make ends meet as I do not earn very much.
    Originally posted by Homeagain
    Under those circumstances, most likely not.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 13th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 17,139 Posts
    • 30,123 Thanks
    Ames
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    You might be able to get the 25% single person discount if she's disregarded. If she were on Income Based ESA or JSA she would be, but I'm not sure how it works for Universal Credit, it might depend what parts of UC she's getting.
    Last edited by Ames; 13-02-2018 at 8:17 PM.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 13th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 2,699 Posts
    • 6,587 Thanks
    ska lover
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    Hi OP, no you wont be entitled to any rebate

Is this the same daughter that was sacked back in August?

I understand you mention she had minor learning difficulties but is able to keep up with bar work, and you also mention within the last 12 months, your concern about not being able to raise the extra rent your landlord was asking for of 20 so your financial difficulties arent a new thing, i mean they haven't sprang up overnight

To be honest with you, it seems like you are over relying on your daughter if she has learning difficulties and gets sacked you may find her work life somewhat turbulent i.e not to be relied upon for her share of board as it may not be forthcoming

I dont know your full circumstances but what about when your daughter decides she wants to move out? Unless you cover your back you could end up , up the creek

I think your best way forwards is to up your own earnings if i am honest
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Homeagain
    • By Homeagain 11th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    Homeagain
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    Thank you for the advice although is it really necessary to read every post I have ever made and draw some very odd conclusions? Circumstances change. Please do not suggest that I rely upon my daughter to make ends meet - that is very far from the truth and I find it very hurtful. Yes I would like to up my income, however being 60 and epileptic doesn't make me a perfect candidate for a better paid job. I regret having asked for advice on this particular subject, I was feeling worried about various things which are obvious from my post. I will not make that mistake again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2Posts Today

4,497Users online

Martin's Twitter