Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 13th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 377Posts
    • 451Thanks
    dbrookf
    Help! Vegan friend coming to dinner!
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    Help! Vegan friend coming to dinner! 13th Feb 18 at 4:33 PM
    Can anyone help with an idea for a very, very easy vegan dessert – ideally where I don’t have to buy anything silly that will stay in my cupboard for evermore and that I can rustle up quite quickly?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 13th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 6,760 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/kiranshahbaz/21-insanely-easy-three-ingredient-vegan-desserts-1zvbq?utm_term=.upp0P3ooY#.jkzbRK99Y
    Hiraeth
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 13th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    baked apple - one of those delicious things that people don't tend to do now because they are so simple!
    Lovely and comforting this time of year. I use up my left over Xmas mince meat (which I make with vegan suet). Otherwise, dried fruit and whatever oil / spread you've got around. I soak the fruit in booze or fruit juice first.
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 13th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    dbrookf
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:32 PM
    baked apple - one of those delicious things that people don't tend to do now because they are so simple!
    Lovely and comforting this time of year. I use up my left over Xmas mince meat (which I make with vegan suet). Otherwise, dried fruit and whatever oil / spread you've got around. I soak the fruit in booze or fruit juice first.
    Originally posted by buildersdaughter
    Can you give me your recipe using mincemeat and soaking the fruit in booze please!?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 15,391 Posts
    • 42,878 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    There are different "varieties" of vegan - so, presumably, your friend is an "ethical vegan" (ie as long as it doesnt contain meat/fish/dairy products/honey they're okay with it).

There is another type of vegan - which is more "incidentally vegan" - ie wholefood plant-based. That means the diet is vegan in order to be healthy (rather than as an ethical thing) and that is a very healthy way of eating/little processed food/no oil of any description.

I guess your friend is in the first category?

Thoughts:
    1. Re booze - wine probably isn't vegan unless it's marked as being so. Most wines aren't vegan.

2. Accompaniment to pudding - there are "cream" alternatives. Personally - I like Oatly "cream". It's made from oats (rather than dairy milk). I doubt I'd actually know it wasn't runny dairy cream if I hadn't seen it on the packet iyswim. That's even available in supermarkets (well - it is in Tesco at any rate).
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 39,277 Thanks
    Floss
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    You dont need to soak it - if you have or can buy mincemeat use that, but check it is vegan first
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 13th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 3,474 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    If they like rice pudding it can be made in just the same way using dairy free milk, vanilla rice or soya milk is the best in my opinion. A lot of jams are vegan Sainsbury basic, Lidl cheapest etc to serve or make with dried fruit.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 13th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    Mr Kipling Treacle Tart with Alpro plain or vanilla soy yoghurt.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 13th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Corona
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:40 PM
    I know this will be too late for this evening - but in case you ever ask her again ... There's a lovely non-dairy "ice cream" called Swedish Glace (I've seen it in Sainsbobs, Waitrose and Iceland) which is lovely served with anything.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 13th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 8,334 Thanks
    Callie22
    Rice pudding made with coconut milk and served with some chopped mango that's been mixed with a little lime juice is delicious.
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 13th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    dbrookf
    I know this will be too late for this evening - but in case you ever ask her again ... There's a lovely non-dairy "ice cream" called Swedish Glace (I've seen it in Sainsbobs, Waitrose and Iceland) which is lovely served with anything.
    Originally posted by Corona
    She’s not coming till Saturday! So thanks!
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 13th Feb 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Or you could be cheeky and ask her to bring dessert - she will no doubt have her favourites. I'm a vegan myself and never mind if people do this.
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 13th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    dbrookf
    Or you could be cheeky and ask her to bring dessert - she will no doubt have her favourites. I'm a vegan myself and never mind if people do this.
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Tempted!
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 14th Feb 18, 6:10 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Originally posted by Corona
    It is very nice. Ben and Jerrys also do a vegan ice cream too.

Birds custard power (has to be the powder) is also vegan. Make it up with rice / soya / nut milk.

I have just bought this chap's cookbook:

https://www.avantgardevegan.com/my-recipes/

Some nice (if a bit more complicate to make) recipes to make.
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 14th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Of course, dbrookf, but it feels to me, hardly like a recipe, as it's so simple and I've done it all my life!
    Thanks, moneyistoo.... as I had forgotten that strict vegans are very careful about booze (the ones I know aren't!)
    Anyway, you need an apple each - a medium size cooking apple, especially Bramley, is best, but it will work with a large eating apple. You cut the core out - I have inherited a handy little gadget for this, and they can be found cheaply. If not, you have to stand it upright and, using a narrow bladed knife, cut round the core, from top and bottom, so you can push it out. Don't peel.
    Now, you can fill the cavity with mincemeat or dried fruit, and I have known a little plug of left-over marzipan put in the bottom as well. You don't need any fat if using mincemeat. If it's just fruit, I add a little butter on the top, for a lovely taste, but plain oil will be fine for vegans. If cutting down on the fat, just rub a little on the dish to stop it sticking. You can splash in some booze - almost any kind, but I use whisky / rum / brandy from Xmas stash, or a little fruit juice - orange or grape works very well - and I have known fruit teas or similar used. I don't add sugar, but some will drizzle in honey.
    If your dried fruit is very dry, soak it beforehand. I wrap the dish in foil or put a lid on.
    Now your apple can go in almost any oven except a very hot one. I would normally put in the bottom of the oven while the main dish cooked. It will do beautifully in a slow cooker. In a medium oven it will take 30-45 minutes. Sometimes the skin will split - it is not always a beautiful dish to look at, but is delicious. Serve as it is. Sometimes the skin gets a bit hard in cooking, but you can easily scrape off all the lovely apple as you eat.

We are, in my world, just at the end of baked apple time, it is a glorious winter treat. Now the last of the stored apples have been used, or need cutting up, and the oranges from Spain are in the shops. But it is a dish that can be enjoyed at any time.
    Last edited by buildersdaughter; 14-02-2018 at 7:54 AM.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 14th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 3,474 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Honey isn't vegan.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Wicked Lady
    • By Wicked Lady 14th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    Wicked Lady
    When my gran cooked baked apples she used to run the knife around the middle of the skin to prevent it splitting and now I do the same, although DH isn't keen on baked apples so we don't have them very often.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 15,391 Posts
    • 42,878 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Honey isn't vegan.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    There are differing views on this I believe - as it doesnt involve killing a living being.

Personally though - it's easy enough to find an alternative sweetener to use these days. Maple syrup and date syrup are the two that come immediately to my mind.

Blackstrap molasses is another one I keep in as well.

With food - I always take the view personally to cater in whichever way my guest requires in all respects (unless it's something that would go against my own ethics/health/etc).

There's times/places to "stick to one's guns and refuse to budge an inch" - but food isn't one of them imo.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-02-2018 at 9:02 AM.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 14th Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    No, I realise that honey isn't vegan - I thought that as the request came from another poster, it was a general request, although of the course the post title is about vegans.
    I have tried running the knife round the middle, and found it just all spills everywhere - if cooking slowly it doesn't tend to split. But honestly, it's one of those dishes where you do what works for you.
    I have used maple syrup when I got some as a gift and it was delicious - I think that the apple absorbs these lovely flavours so make it all the nicer.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Feb 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 47,616 Thanks
    monnagran
    I have a vegan stepgrandson and for Christmas I made him a tin of Vegan Brownies, (just googled them for a recipe) and I think he ate the lot on Christmas Day.
    They were a doddle to make and would be nice served warm with some vegan ice cream.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,215Posts Today

8,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin