Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ashe
    • By ashe 13th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 518Posts
    • 360Thanks
    ashe
    Frustrated with a default on my credit file
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    Frustrated with a default on my credit file 13th Feb 18 at 4:15 PM
    In 2013 I took out a mobile phone for my partner at the time. We split up some years later and she had the account put into her name, or so I thought at the time - all the DD's changed over to her bank account, the address was changed to her address and she moved out the country to go teaching in Dubai and told me the account was closed.

In march 2016 I had a call from a debt agency who wouldnt speak to me as my address didn't match their system. Contacted EE who said there were no accounts in my name and the only one they could see had been changed into her name and I needn't worry as nothing will be affecting my credit rating.

4 months later had a call from another credit agency, spent about 2 weeks back and forth between Orange and EE and eventually they listened to the calls she made when she called to close the account, it was not fully transferred into her name and she was told she would need to get me to call. She said we werent on good terms and the agent basically told her its not her problem and if she just stops paying it wont come back to her. I was fuming because I had been told several times this want against my account and not to worry etc. EE apologised, gave me a 40 goodwill gesture, wiped the balance on the account and that was that.

We are currently applying for a mortgage and I had done Experien credit reports before and they generally show a high score, but I know this should not be looked at on its own. Out of interest I ran one with Noddle just now and it gives me a score of 2/5 or 555 out of 771 and says this is poor. I am absolutely gutted as I earn good money, have never missed a mortgage, credit card or hire purchase loan payment or utility bill and always considered myself to have good credit.

I have been reading about Notices of Correction - is there any value to me adding a supporting statement to my file to explain this? The default amount is a massive 67!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 16,348 Posts
    • 17,351 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    I wouldn't add an NoC. It tends to just delay and confuse matters.

Hopefully you are using a broker for your mortgage - I would hope they would know where to place this one, if the default is settled and is the only blemish on an otherwise solid history.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 13th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    Yes, we are using a broker. We have a decision in principle as Accept but don't know if that would be factored in at this stage or only at full application. Full application starts tomorrow.

Frustrating as I thought all this was resolved and we have found a dream house.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 6,828 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    Sorry not seeing this clear.

You have a default on your Noddle credit file showing from EE for 67?

That default is in relation to an account which EE wrote off and offered you recompense for?

When was the default applied?

Im sure youve realised but youve put yourself in a bad position relying on the good nature of an ex partner. Its an awkward one. Id be working to get it removed myself.

A notice of correction probably wont help you much. Its a bit like asking a convicts view of their guilt so unlikely to carry much weight.

Id get back in touch with EE about the writing off of the account and goodwill gesture. Ask if they accept that the debt wasnt yours then they shouldnt be applying a default on your credit file.

It can be quite technical and drawn out but id say you either accept the default and the pitfalls for 6 years after it was issued or you have a good look in to how you go about getting a default overturned. It can be done and theres room for negotiation.

i had one removed when a family member used my (underage) details to buy something and defaulted, i paid to settle the account (800) on the basis they would remove the default and wouldnt go down the fraud route. I had it pretty damn easy though if im honest, they had a dated credit agreement from me when i wouldve been 17 years old. The phone conversations where brilliant.
    Don't be angry!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 6,828 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    Yes, we are using a broker. We have a decision in principle as Accept but don't know if that would be factored in at this stage or only at full application. Full application starts tomorrow.

Frustrating as I thought all this was resolved and we have found a dream house.
    Originally posted by ashe
    Yeh i was in that boat. We had AIP that hadnt picked up a default. It was 6 months before the default was finally removed and the house had long gone. Fortunately we ended up with a better one 6 months after that.

ETA whats your broker said about it?
    Don't be angry!
    • ashe
    • By ashe 13th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    Yes, I have sent a query to EE's credit file team asking them for an urgent review.

I appreciate I was naive in letting her use my details for it, but as she took over payments into her account I assumed that was resolved and the several times that I contacted EE they reassured me it would be against her details.

In fact they wouldnt even discuss 'her' account with me because it was not the name on the account.

On Noddle, the account is shown as OK since Dec 2013 when it was opened, and continues to be OK until Sep 2015 when it changes to UC/DT which the key says Dormant/Inactive and there might be a dispute about funds due, it continues right up to Jul 2016 in the same vein with green blobs then Aug 2016 it changes to D - Query Account under review and then D - Satisfied in Sept. The default is dated 19/04/16. Annoyingly this was all resolved over the phone as well so I have no paper trail to rely on.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 13th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    Broker doesn't know yet, he is coming tomorrow - I didn't know about this until just now as was convinced I had a great credit record until I saw all this!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 6,828 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    Was the address changed over the phone and by her?

If it was thats your get out card, if not youre still negotiating.
    Don't be angry!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 6,828 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    Broker doesn't know yet, he is coming tomorrow - I didn't know about this until just now as was convinced I had a great credit record until I saw all this!
    I cant see this not putting a spanner in the works if im honest.

I was in a very similar situation and we bought 12 months after, took 6 months to get the default taken off and reports updated and then we where just hesitant with getting credit checks etc.
    Don't be angry!
    • ashe
    • By ashe 13th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    Yes she changed the address. The address on the credit file is my name but her address in Wales. I've never lived at that address, hence I didn't receive any statements or letters about it.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 2,725 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Candyapple
    The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk

There are lenders who will accept you with a default and some lenders who will disregard a default if it's from a mobile phone company altogether. Make sure your broker places your application with the correct one.

As this is not going to be a quick fix, I would send a subject access request to EE and specifically refer them to the that phone call where they wiped the balance and gave you 40 goodwill gesture, and ask them to remove the data from all 3 of the credit reference agencies. Or to expedite matters, I assume you've already got a solicitor instructed, once you've received the files/data from EE, ask your solicitor to send them a letter before action requesting they remove the default.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • ashe
    • By ashe 14th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    EE have rang me today and confirmed this is an error and should be against her as she did have the account changed into her name.

They!!!8217;ve said the default will be removed within 24h and the linked address record within 14 days

Huge relief

We already had an AIP, full apllicationndine this morning, broker said never had an issue with small telecoms defaults and nationwide accepted the application and he said normally would be flagged up at that point if it was a credit based decline. Glad it is being sorted though
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 6,828 Thanks
    spadoosh
    EE have rang me today and confirmed this is an error and should be against her as she did have the account changed into her name.

They!!!8217;ve said the default will be removed within 24h and the linked address record within 14 days

Huge relief

We already had an AIP, full apllicationndine this morning, broker said never had an issue with small telecoms defaults and nationwide accepted the application and he said normally would be flagged up at that point if it was a credit based decline. Glad it is being sorted though
    Fantastic news!

Keep on top of checking the credit reports to make sure it does get taken off. They can take a few months to fully update.
    Don't be angry!
    • ashe
    • By ashe 15th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    ashe
    Yes, going to be watching it for updates now to make sure it is resolved. Was utterly fuming when I found out about this as could see it causing a load of chew. Luckily it appears its being resolved so even if Nationwide flag it, should be able to appeal it based on the information, but mortgage broker things unlikely due to being small, 2 years old and telecoms.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,905Posts Today

6,909Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mattallwright: I don?t think life is fair. I think we have to work to impose our idea of fairness on life. It doesn?t come pre-justiced?

• 3 tips to succeed if you want to start your own business, from me, an accidental entrepreneur... https://t.co/leamX59TY1

• My advice for budding entrepreneurs... why a good idea is a nightmare... https://t.co/eJaF2HPXxu

• Follow Martin