Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Louannaxxx
    • By Louannaxxx 13th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Louannaxxx
    How will a payment plan affect my credit file?
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    How will a payment plan affect my credit file? 13th Feb 18 at 3:33 PM
    Hi,

I have a Very account which I have been keeping up payments with each month. I had a limit of 2,500 but that's now down to 1,700.

When I first opened the account the interest was steep but nothing compared to what it is now at 59.9%! I have other debts, all of which I'm paying off slowly but the interest on the Very account is something else.

So I have spoken to Very and they have agreed to a payment plan for the next three months of 60 per month and they have also frozen the interest on the account for 3 months. To be honest I really just wanted the interest frozen so I can pay off more on the account.

The person I spoke to told me that this will impact my credit score but when I asked in what way they said they didn't know. I'm wondering if any of you might know how this will show on my credit file?

If I pay the normal monthly payment rather than the 60 they have set up which she said I can pay more if I'm able to, then will this stop any negative effect on my credit such as a default?

Many thanks for any help and advice you can offer. I can't wait to pay off this account and close it down, what a mistake it was and a hard lesson learnt.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 16,429 Posts
    • 17,486 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:35 PM
    If they report it as an arrangement, it shows other lenders that you cannot keep up with contractual payments.

Paying more won't change that.
    • Louannaxxx
    • By Louannaxxx 13th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Louannaxxx
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply.

If that's the case I guess it is what it is. I don't need any more credit! That's the last thing I need.

I'm hoping the 3 months will let me pay off a big chunk at the end of the three-month interest free period so I can at least bring the interest down a lot.

I'm planning to sell unwanted items and cutting down on all spending/seeing what providers I can get cheaper etc so I can raise as much money as possible in the three months to pay off as much as I can.

I was being hit with around 60 interest each month resulting in hardly a dent in the overall amount.

Will the negative impact be on my credit file for 6 years? And once it has been paid and my account closed will this help my credit file any?
    • john1002
    • By john1002 13th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    john1002
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    The arrangement to pay. Will show on your file 6 years from the account closure so if you pay it off in a year then the 6 years will start from that point, obviously the longer in time the less impact it will have and the impact will vary with the lender. You say you don!!!8217;t want any more credit but 6 years plus is a long time.

Good luck in your very debt reduction plan. Do as much as you can in these 3 months to clear the debt.

John
    • Louannaxxx
    • By Louannaxxx 13th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Louannaxxx
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you're right 6 years is a long time. I'm beginning to wonder if I have done the right thing or not.

I just didn't see a way of paying if off quickly with such a high interest rate and as my credit isn't great anyway I'm not eligible for any 0% cards.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 31,455 Posts
    • 19,862 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:11 PM
    You did the right thing, as time goes on it may have less of an impact.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 13-02-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Louannaxxx
    • By Louannaxxx 13th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Louannaxxx
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    Thank you DCFC, I really hope so.

I'm aiming to pay off 1k in the 3 months it will be a tall order but I'm determined to pay off as much as I can.

The only thing is I will then be hit with interest from the 4th month. They said they could do another 3 months after the initial 3 but if I pay off a lot I think they'll be saying I'm no longer struggling to pay so they wont do it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

9Posts Today

4,056Users online

Martin's Twitter