Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 13th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 12Thanks
    killergibbo
    Work place offering pay rise but
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    Work place offering pay rise but 13th Feb 18 at 2:53 PM
    Just want some advice on this one

Ok so I work for a well known charity full time and paid.

We have just had a letter issued to everyone stating the condition of the charity etc but Iím unhappy with this one section so Iíll enter it here word for word

ďDespite the financial challenges, our treasurer and the trustees have secured a wage review which will see increased salaries for all of our staff in April, it is to be a modest rise due to financial constraints but we hope that you, our staff, will see that we appreciate the work you do for (charity)Ē

Now this Seems they are using the new minimum pay rise in April to make out its coming from them but itís not itís because they have to.

My question is are they allowed to state this as a pay rise from the goodness of their hearts but it only be minimum wage?
Page 2
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 14th Feb 18, 7:50 AM
    • 5,779 Posts
    • 6,651 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    The same goes for everyone else in the country aged 25 and over
    Originally posted by killergibbo
    No it doesn't...because not everyone is on NLW
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 2,007 Thanks
    badmemory
    Do many of your co-workers know that this payrise has been enforced & is NOT your employers choice? Try asking them. At least 25% will be saying how nice of them & won't have a clue!
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 6,141 Thanks
    Malthusian
    The letter states that all the staff are getting an increased salary. The OP has said that some of the staff are on "25k plus". Some staff members are therefore getting an increased salary at the discretion of the charity, absolutely nothing to do with minimum wage. The letter is entirely truthful.

Of course they could write "we hope that those of you who are not on minimum wage will see that we appreciate the work you do; as for those who are on minimum wage, we don't appreciate you at all and we're only giving you a raise because we're forced to" but why on earth would they do that?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    The letter states that all the staff are getting an increased salary. The OP has said that some of the staff are on "25k plus". Some staff members are therefore getting an increased salary at the discretion of the charity, absolutely nothing to do with minimum wage. The letter is entirely truthful.

Of course they could write "we hope that those of you who are not on minimum wage will see that we appreciate the work you do; as for those who are on minimum wage, we don't appreciate you at all and we're only giving you a raise because we're forced to" but why on earth would they do that?
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    As you say, the letter is accurate but I'd love to see the version at the bottom sent out
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 14th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    killergibbo
    For me it!!!8217;s not about who is getting what it is more the case of how they have worded it. How they have said that !!!8220;trustees have secured a wage review which will see increased salaries for all staff in April!!!8221; well they haven!!!8217;t secured anything for those on minimum wage as they are being forced to give that raise, !!!8220;we hope that you, our staff will see that we appreciate the work you do!!!8221; how have they show those on minimum wage that they are appreciated.

I understand everything that everyone has said but I can!!!8217;t uderstand how they can get away with not telling the truth it!!!8217;s shocking.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 14th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,526 Posts
    • 3,220 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    For me it!!!8217;s not about who is getting what it is more the case of how they have worded it. How they have said that !!!8220;trustees have secured a wage review which will see increased salaries for all staff in April!!!8221; well they haven!!!8217;t secured anything for those on minimum wage as they are being forced to give that raise, !!!8220;we hope that you, our staff will see that we appreciate the work you do!!!8221; how have they show those on minimum wage that they are appreciated.

I understand everything that everyone has said but I can!!!8217;t uderstand how they can get away with not telling the truth it!!!8217;s shocking.
    Without a wage review, an increased wages allocation, there would be redundancies.

How else are you wanting them to show you are appreciated?
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    hcb42
    this is reality

NMW workers get that rise - those over it get the standard 1% or nothing

not worth getting upset over
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    Comms69

They are telling the truth, and here's another truth: if you complained to me about this, I'd sack you.

So maybe it's lucky you have a more 'understanding' boss
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 14th Feb 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Will the pay rise be enough to pay for prostitutes?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

697Posts Today

5,848Users online

Martin's Twitter