Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 13th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 12Thanks
    killergibbo
    Work place offering pay rise but
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    Work place offering pay rise but 13th Feb 18 at 2:53 PM
    Just want some advice on this one

Ok so I work for a well known charity full time and paid.

We have just had a letter issued to everyone stating the condition of the charity etc but Iím unhappy with this one section so Iíll enter it here word for word

ďDespite the financial challenges, our treasurer and the trustees have secured a wage review which will see increased salaries for all of our staff in April, it is to be a modest rise due to financial constraints but we hope that you, our staff, will see that we appreciate the work you do for (charity)Ē

Now this Seems they are using the new minimum pay rise in April to make out its coming from them but itís not itís because they have to.

My question is are they allowed to state this as a pay rise from the goodness of their hearts but it only be minimum wage?
Page 1
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 13th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 4,712 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:09 PM
    As long as they are paying the correct minimum wage they can spin it however they like.

Their letter doesn't say how much the increase is though. Perhaps it is more than the increase in the minimum wage. Have you asked them?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Feb 18, 3:13 PM
    • 10,598 Posts
    • 8,820 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:13 PM
    You will be getting a pay rise, essentially they will be paying it from charity funds.

Where's the illegality in stating this?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM

We have just had a letter issued to everyone stating the condition of the charity etc but Iím unhappy with this one section so Iíll enter it here word for word

ďDespite the financial challenges, our treasurer and the trustees have secured a wage review which will see increased salaries for all of our staff in April, it is to be a modest rise due to financial constraints but we hope that you, our staff, will see that we appreciate the work you do for (charity)Ē

Now this Seems they are using the new minimum pay rise in April to make out its coming from them but itís not itís because they have to.

My question is are they allowed to state this as a pay rise from the goodness of their hearts but it only be minimum wage?
    Originally posted by killergibbo
    It's a generic letter and ALL staff (NMW/NLW or higher) will get an increase... seems accurate to me
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 13th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 6,650 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:33 PM

Not all your staff will be on NLW
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 13th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 19,107 Posts
    • 19,559 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    Yep, and to me. We did exactly the same when, after TWELVE YEARS, we managed to get some money together and increased staff pay. We genuinely couldn't do it before then.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 13th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    killergibbo
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    Me and other staff are on minimum wage except for management they are on 25k plus so they will get a increase while the current minimum wage workers get nothing really
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 13th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,489 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    Me and other staff are on minimum wage except for management they are on 25k plus so they will get a increase while the current minimum wage workers get nothing really
    You're getting a rise well above inflation, which is more than many others do.

If you want to earn more then find a way to qualify for higher paying roles, rather than expecting a rise for no reason.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 13th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 6,650 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    As pointed out...you got more than inflation...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 13th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Can't help but wonder what the OP might realistically want to happen.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 13th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2,699 Posts
    • 6,585 Thanks
    ska lover
    Perhaps they hoped to come here and get patronised to death
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 31,886 Posts
    • 19,112 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Forget it is a charity it's a paid work place.

You are paid to do a job, if that job is worth more find somewhere that will pay more.

if you want to do charitable stuff volunteer your expertise and time.

don't mix the two without a clear boundaries.

We are hard up story is fairly common in workplaces to keep wages down, make people feel guilty for wanting more, I suspect charities play the game a little more/harder playing on altruistic weakness in the sector.
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 13th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    killergibbo
    I Aint in anyway expecting or asking for a payrise. I was trying to understand the wording abit more.im happy where I work but my understand of the wording within the letter they are making out the payrise is a gift of free will from the charity and not because the government says so. Another member of staff has also just raised the same problem but he went to one of the trusties and the trustie said the payrise is only to the new minimum wage level. I find it very unfair to everyone to state it is from the charity in a goodwill statement when in fact they are just following the law
    Last edited by killergibbo; 13-02-2018 at 8:32 PM.
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 13th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    killergibbo
    I think many of you replying are seeing this as me crying for help because I don!!!8217;t get paid a lot...please keep in mind I love my job and I can get another job earning 30k a year but I choose not to because I enjoy this job
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 13th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    killergibbo
    As pointed out...you got more than inflation...
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict
    The same goes for everyone else in the country aged 25 and over
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 13th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    killergibbo
    Can't help but wonder what the OP might realistically want to happen.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Clearly stated at the end of my postĒmy question isĒ
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I can understand the OP's irritation at the implication in the letter that the payrise is out of the goodness of their hearts when it's nothing of the sort. Typical management spin, and it's not restricted to any one business sector.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 13th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 19,107 Posts
    • 19,559 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    OK, so.

One of the benefits I've generally found from working in the charity sector is that you can be far more honest with your bosses than those in the private sector. Your frustration is more understandable now that you've explained that there are very few people who are getting a 'genuine' increase. Why not get together with your fellow workers and write to the trustees and say that you are upset by the wording of their letter? That you understand that they can't afford to pay more than the legal min, but you are offended by them wording this as if it were an increase from the goodness of their hearts? Far better to do that than just to fester about it...........
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Feb 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    z1a
    The same goes for everyone else in the country aged 25 and over
    So everybody in the country aged over 24 has had an above inflation rise? I don't think so.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 31,886 Posts
    • 19,112 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I Aint in anyway expecting or asking for a payrise. I was trying to understand the wording abit more.im happy where I work but my understand of the wording within the letter they are making out the payrise is a gift of free will from the charity and not because the government says so. Another member of staff has also just raised the same problem but he went to one of the trusties and the trustie said the payrise is only to the new minimum wage level. I find it very unfair to everyone to state it is from the charity in a goodwill statement when in fact they are just following the law
    They think you are naive, gullible, stupid enough to fall for the empty spin.
    (pick as many as apply)

What it does tell you that there would be no rises if min wage was not going up.

Up to you if you want to call them out and tell them to cut the BS and treat you like adults
    Last edited by getmore4less; 13-02-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,024Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter