Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hammersfaniow
    • By hammersfaniow 13th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 24Thanks
    hammersfaniow
    Halifax PPI Help Needed
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:29 PM
    Halifax PPI Help Needed 13th Feb 18 at 1:29 PM
    I recently made a PPI claim against a Halifax Loan which I took out around 12/13 years ago. I gave details online and have received a 12 page questionnaire today, with 5 loan numbers on it ! I!!!8217;m assuming this means that there was PPI involved ?, as I have previously made a claim on a credit card but received a letter saying I hadn!!!8217;t actually used the card, so therefore no PPI was paid.

As the loan was sometime ago now, I don!!!8217;t have all the dates, values etc of the loan/s that I took so I can!!!8217;t give this information, I can only guess roughly when they were taken out. Would this necessarily go against me or seeing as they have loan numbers, they will use that to access the info required ?

It also asks for my policy/account number - I don!!!8217;t have any policy numbers, I!!!8217;d the account number referring to the bank account number it would!!!8217;ve been paid into ?

Apologies for the vagueness of these questions, but it!!!8217;s that long ago and it!!!8217;s taken me this long to actually realise I might be entitled to something.

Thank you in advance for any help
    Last edited by hammersfaniow; 13-02-2018 at 1:33 PM.
Page 2
    • hammersfaniow
    • By hammersfaniow 19th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hammersfaniow
    Thanks for that. Interesting reading.

A few incorrect bits e.g. only 75% sick pay, but on the whole itís very intriguing to read stuff like that. Makes me feel confident about my claim.

Thanks again for taking the time to post
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 19th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    To be fair, Dunston, those links refer to mortgage PPI or a loan secured on property. The OP is complaining about a chain of unsecured loans..

Makes me feel confident about my claim.
    Originally posted by hammersfaniow
    Care to tell us why?
    • hammersfaniow
    • By hammersfaniow 19th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hammersfaniow
    For fear of getting my bonfire peed on, no
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 19th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 92,652 Posts
    • 59,974 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Statistically, you are more likely to succeed on loan PPI than any other type. Just helping you build the bonfire up
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • hammersfaniow
    • By hammersfaniow 5th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hammersfaniow
    Boom. Winner. Been awarded just over £1200

If youíre feeling confident about a claim, keep the faith and donít let anyone tell you otherwise - they probably work for a bank
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If you!!!8217;re feeling confident about a claim, keep the faith and don!!!8217;t let anyone tell you otherwise - they probably work for a bank
    I told you at post #11 that I expected you to be refunded. It was your complaint reasons and your expectation of an "automatic trigger" which we took issue with.

Since the Banks never reveal why they are upholding complaints (only why they are rejecting) we'll never know why your complaint was successful. What is certain is that many PPI complaints are upheld for reasons not given by the complainant.
    • hammersfaniow
    • By hammersfaniow 5th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hammersfaniow
    I told you at post #11 that I expected you to be refunded. It was your complaint reasons and your expectation of an "automatic trigger" which we took issue with.

Since the Banks never reveal why they are upholding complaints (only why they are rejecting) we'll never know why your complaint was successful. What is certain is that many PPI complaints are upheld for reasons not given by the complainant.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    If you didnít say anything of the sort, then maybe, just maybe, it wasnít in reference to you. Youíre too defensive methinks

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    You're too defensive methinks
    Neither Dunston nor myself work for banks.

Dunston is an IFA and I am a.....
    • hammersfaniow
    • By hammersfaniow 5th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hammersfaniow
    Neither Dunston nor myself work for banks.

Dunston is an IFA and I am a.....
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Brilliant !
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Brilliant !
    I also post on the TV Moneysaving Board, where I have been accused of working for both Sky and Virgin Media!

I was also accused of working for Amazon on the Consumer Rights board!

The moral of this story is not to assume that there is any paid bias in any responses you may receive here, whether you like them or not!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 92,652 Posts
    • 59,974 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Its worth noting how this thread developed. If you re-read it, you will see the complaints reasons were weak and there was a focus on the thread on that. However, the PPI covered a loan. So, the reasons given, whilst weak does not mean it would not go on to succeed for another different reason. Indeed, it was also said on the thread that most loan PPI complaints succeed.

The reason why it paid out will never be known. It could be those reasons (even though we know they are not an issue). It could be an auto-payout (£1200 is in the ballpark of auto-payouts). It could be something that was never mentioned in the complaint (as is often the case). It could be a combination of minor things that totted up didnt make it worth fighting from their point of view.

There was no bias on this thread. If there was, you would never have been told that most loan PPI complaints succeed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • hammersfaniow
    • By hammersfaniow 5th Mar 18, 4:38 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hammersfaniow

The reason why it paid out will never be known. It could be those reasons (even though we know they are not an issue). It could be an auto-payout (£1200 is in the ballpark of auto-payouts). It could be something that was never mentioned in the complaint (as is often the case). It could be a combination of minor things that totted up didnt make it worth fighting from their point of view.
    Basically not wanting to admit that I Ďmightí have been right, just addressing that youíre not wrong and the bank couldnít be bothered, even after people saying that theyíve recently made it more difficult to win a case !

Letís put this to bed now shall we, and let sleeping dogs lie. Iím sure youíll be decent and allow me the last word on my thread
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Indeed, it was also said on the thread that most loan PPI complaints succeed.
    It was also acknowledged that the complaint would likely be upheld as early as post#11.

The reason why it paid out will never be known. It could be those reasons (even though we know they are not an issue). It could be an auto-payout (£1200 is in the ballpark of auto-payouts). It could be something that was never mentioned in the complaint (as is often the case).
    Indeed, just as I also pointed out earlier.
    There was no bias on this thread.
    I agree. Though your earlier links to FOS decisions were questionable in that they referred to mortgage PPI.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 92,652 Posts
    • 59,974 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I agree. Though your earlier links to FOS decisions were questionable in that they referred to mortgage PPI.
    I used the MPPI ones as they are the ones I tend to follow. The principle on those shouldnt be any different to loan or credit card though. After all, if someone has £10,000 in the bank, then why are they borrowing £5,000. Indeed, I read a FOS decision that said the fact the person was borrowing the money rather than use their savings indicated that their savings were important to them and they didnt want to put them at risk and that insurance is viable in that scenario.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I used the MPPI ones as they are the ones I tend to follow. The principle on those shouldnt be any different to loan or credit card though.
    The principle is the same, but the amount of savings deemed sufficient for a mis-sale would surely be less for a loan than a mortgage?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin