Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chickennugget90
    • By chickennugget90 13th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    chickennugget90
    Collection only item on Ebay
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    Collection only item on Ebay 13th Feb 18 at 12:49 PM
    Hi all

I posted an item of furniture on Ebay a couple of nights ago. Put in the description cash on collection

The person that bought it has asked if they can pay via Paypal.

am I right in thinking this isn't a good idea incase they collect and then say they haven't received the item?

You'd think they might have checked before clicking buy it now :|
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    There is scope for people pulling a scam with PayPal payments on local collection items. I don't think it really happens as much as people talk about it on this forum but if you're worried just state cash please. I pick up local purchases fairly regularly and some sellers still insist on PayPal probably because it's ben drilled into them by eBay.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    If they pay by Paypal and collect, they don't have any buyer protection against INR claims with Paypal.

You also don't have any seller protection.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 13th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    Have a read of this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 13th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    If they pay by Paypal and collect, they don't have any buyer protection against INR claims with Paypal.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    But they can claim INR through ebay.
    • chickennugget90
    • By chickennugget90 13th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chickennugget90
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    Thankyou for your replies and for the link

I think I will stick to cash on collection and hope they are ok with that
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 60,477 Posts
    • 43,108 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    Thankyou for your replies and for the link

I think I will stick to cash on collection and hope they are ok with that
    Originally posted by chickennugget90
    Do have a read of the thread linked in post 4 as you need to tread carefully with collection only items as technically you can't refuse to accept paypal if offered.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    But they can claim INR through ebay.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Yes I missed the word eBay in the OP for some reason - skim reading.
    • RED KEN
    • By RED KEN 15th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RED KEN
    • 15th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    I sold the contents of a flat all collection only all paid by Pay Pal with no problems. also when i was selling off my contract mowing equipment again all collection only and Pay Pal payment. and never a problem.
    The big plus about getting the payment before collection is that people do tend to turn up.
    I had someone make a 80 mile round trip for a less than 10 bed frame and a young guy from the other side of London for a 10 year old fridgefreezer. it had to be a round trip of 200 miles , amazing.
    I do hear with cash on collection deals people do tend to haggle looking for petrol money at the very least. If that had been the case with the bed and the freezer I would have been the one paying the customer.
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 16th Feb 18, 12:48 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    I accepted PayPal and allowed a customer to arrange their own courier, once. Lost over 500 that day. I've also allowed a few other customers to collect lower value orders in person, but had them bring ID to prove they were the owner of the PayPal/ebay account.
    I'm sure the majority of buyers who want to buy with PayPal and collect are legit, but for high value items I wouldn't risk it.
    As for the doorstep haggling, when someone says "I spent 50 on petrol just getting here, give me that off the price" the correct response is "You spent 50 petrol just getting here, you're surely not going to leave empty handed?".

OP If you choose to let them do this, I would recommend getting signatures on paperwork to say they collected, and a photocopy of something with their name, photo and address on it (driver's licence?). It probably wouldn't hold up in a PayPal case, but it might put off casual scammers.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I accepted PayPal and allowed a customer to arrange their own courier, once. Lost over 500 that day. I've also allowed a few other customers to collect lower value orders in person, but had them bring ID to prove they were the owner of the PayPal/ebay account.
    I'm sure the majority of buyers who want to buy with PayPal and collect are legit, but for high value items I wouldn't risk it.
    As for the doorstep haggling, when someone says "I spent 50 on petrol just getting here, give me that off the price" the correct response is "You spent 50 petrol just getting here, you're surely not going to leave empty handed?".

OP If you choose to let them do this, I would recommend getting signatures on paperwork to say they collected, and a photocopy of something with their name, photo and address on it (driver's licence?). It probably wouldn't hold up in a PayPal case, but it might put off casual scammers.
    Originally posted by askmeaboutsofas
    No it won't.
    • chickennugget90
    • By chickennugget90 16th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chickennugget90
    I ended up saying yes to paypal, then they decided they didn't want to drive 20 miles to collect!

So that was the end of that!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Shame.

Cancel, refund and block.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 60,477 Posts
    • 43,108 Thanks
    soolin
    I sold the contents of a flat all collection only all paid by Pay Pal with no problems. also when i was selling off my contract mowing equipment again all collection only and Pay Pal payment. and never a problem.
    The big plus about getting the payment before collection is that people do tend to turn up.
    I had someone make a 80 mile round trip for a less than 10 bed frame and a young guy from the other side of London for a 10 year old fridgefreezer. it had to be a round trip of 200 miles , amazing.
    I do hear with cash on collection deals people do tend to haggle looking for petrol money at the very least. If that had been the case with the bed and the freezer I would have been the one paying the customer.
    Originally posted by RED KEN
    You were lucky, if the buyers had been dodgy you could have had a PayPal claim made against you up to 180 days after sale for an unauthorised use of card.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 18th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    So what is the best way
    With all this talk of potential scams on collection only what IS the best way of accepting payments for collection only items?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 60,477 Posts
    • 43,108 Thanks
    soolin
    With all this talk of potential scams on collection only what IS the best way of accepting payments for collection only items?
    Originally posted by sjp1966
    Cash on collection is ideal, but difficult to achieve now on eBay.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 19th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    Shame as I don't feel comfortable trying to sell relatively costly items on there for the fear of being done. I've tried classified ads for a more local feel but hardly anyone responds (if anyone).
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Feb 18, 9:22 PM
    • 60,477 Posts
    • 43,108 Thanks
    soolin
    Shame as I don't feel comfortable trying to sell relatively costly items on there for the fear of being done. I've tried classified ads for a more local feel but hardly anyone responds (if anyone).
    Originally posted by sjp1966
    I'm currently doing well on SHpock so it might be worth a look. I tend not to offer collection only items now on eBay.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 20th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Nesty
    The problem is with large item is trying to get the person round in the first place. Personal collection and paypal just does not mix IMHO.
    There is just so much, which can go wrong after the person has their mitts on the item.
    I do find Preloved isn't too bad. Though depends upon the item and location. If you have an iphone 7 which, been run over by a car & you near London you will have loads of people around for some reason!
    • gemini12
    • By gemini12 20th Feb 18, 9:17 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    gemini12
    Personally I have both bought and sold collection only items and have never had a problem other than occasional delays in collection. I usually ask for cash on collection but have also both paid myself and been aid by paypal again with no problems.
    Make 10 a day challenge May. 81.40/310
    Total for 2013 858.85/1060
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter