Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 13th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 284Posts
    • 152Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco takes payments months later
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco takes payments months later 13th Feb 18 at 12:43 PM
    Tesco has apologised to customers after taking up to three months to process some payments made in 300 of its Express stores - leaving some shoppers overdrawn...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco takes payments from customers' cards MONTHS after they went shopping''

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • harz99
    • By harz99 13th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    harz99
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    Does nobody keep and check their till receipts against their CC bills or bank statements any more?
    • FredaJones
    • By FredaJones 13th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    FredaJones
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    Does nobody keep and check their till receipts against their CC bills or bank statements any more?
    Originally posted by harz99
    Exactly. While not condoning Tesco's late payment collection, how did these people not realise the money was owed? Or perhaps they did but are hoping that if they complain they will be let off.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 13th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 37,012 Posts
    • 249,025 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    If people "run a tight budget" they should know payment has not been taken and even if they don't it still needs to be paid - chancers trying to get something for nothing
    Internet goodness 24838
    • aj23
    • By aj23 13th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    aj23
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    Originally posted by harz99
    I do every month when my paper statement comes in!
    • aj23
    • By aj23 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    aj23
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    This happened on a BA plane. They didn't take payment for the food for 6 weeks after our flight. But I could see it hadn't been processed so I was expecting the charge at some point.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    Whilst I do think that this late payment collection is very bad from Tesco, surely if you can't keep track of what you spend on cards you should stick to paying with cash, then when it's gone it's gone.
    • Livia 123
    • By Livia 123 13th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Livia 123
    Thank goodness most readers have taken a common sense attitude to this non-news item. Please MSE do not feed the mindset that this is someone else's fault. Tesco does not manage these customers bank accounts, the shopper does. This website is for grown up people taking responsibility for their spending. In 'olden' days when cheques were still often in use, people could take up to six months to cash them, but the buyer still knew they had spent the money...so please no more silly articles trying to make a sensation over nothing.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Feb 18, 5:56 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:56 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:56 PM
    Something similar happened to me at a Sainsburys a few years back. I paid with a credit card two days after my credit card was issued, so didn't see my statement six weeks after it happened. I was charged twice. It affected just two banks credit cards for about a few hours. As I binned the receipt as just had no clothing, electrical or other general merchandise items on it, I helped the CSA on the customer services a rough time and which till I went through. I knew the checkout was one by the deodorant as had a x off y and was 70p short and grabbed a can.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 13th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 11,740 Posts
    • 23,368 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    How many of the people affected, many of whom clearly, from their comments in the article, run very tight budgets and watch their bank accounts closely, actually contacted Tesco to inform them that they hadn't yet charged them for the goods that they'd purchased, when they noticed it weeks/months later?
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 14-02-2018 at 6:23 AM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 13th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,091 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    'I run a tight budget!, this has left me with little money'

so tight a budget in fact Ive got no ****ing clue where the extra money I didn't pay out in December came from or where it got spent!!!!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 13,815 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I bet most didn't bother to check their bank statements as just popping in to get a few quid of stuff, paid by contactless and didn't want the receipt.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Feb 18, 12:52 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    badmemory
    I bet most didn't bother to check their bank statements as just popping in to get a few quid of stuff, paid by contactless and didn't want the receipt.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    In a nutshell I would surmise.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 14th Feb 18, 6:37 AM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Yet again the (allegedly) left wing press along with its disciples tries its best to push the blame elsewhere instead taking responsibility themselves.

As there's a desperate need for blame stories, myself, and I expect many thousands of others, had a payment from Green Star Energy collected months late in 2016. Fortunately I run a tight budget (the type, like most other posters here, that knows exactly what I've spent or owe) so was still able to pay.
    I'm a little disappointed now that MSE didn't turn up then to grant me a months free gas and electricity.

Maybe we can all blame MSE. I'm sure the recommendation for GSE came from here in the first place.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 20,018 Posts
    • 53,734 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Then they should have a rethink about how they manage their money.
    A 'few quid of stuff' can add up to a significant amount if you've not got a handle on your finances, especially if - like Moneysaving Julie - you 'run a tight budget'.

Quite heartening to read the replies saying that the shoppers should exercise more responsibility.

Maybe 'Moneysaving Julie' would be less 'shocked and horrified' if she kept a closer eye on her outgoings.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 14th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 11,619 Posts
    • 11,231 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Whilst I do think that this late payment collection is very bad from Tesco, surely if you can't keep track of what you spend on cards you should stick to paying with cash, then when it's gone it's gone.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    And never buy anything online? Sounds unrealistic, these days.

In the vast majority of cases, all you need to do to keep track of what you spend on cards is check your balance. Given that it works nearly all the time, I'm not surprised that people use this method.
    • Amst
    • By Amst 14th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Amst
    The faux outrage is very clearly an attempt for the costs to be waived - which thankfully won't happen.
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 15th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    • 956 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    I'm one of those affected so feel free to tell me how badly I manage my finances.

Yes, I do check my bank statements to make sure any noticeable purchases have come out and there's nothing glaringly obvious.

However, this issue appears to be limited to contactless only payments in small metro stores so by their very nature they're small amounts.

Card payments are supposed to be taken within 7 days(although they can be taken up to 6 months later).

For me all my payments are at the local store over the road from me and are small things like milk, bread, the odd pack of beers, newspapers, etc.

Currently Tesco are currently aware of 18 payments at my local store which are pretty much all around the 5 mark but add up to 123.43. Not sure at the moment if I have other payments outstanding at other stores.

So far two have been reclaimed from what I can see on my online banking but they can't even tell me when the others will come out.

Some may call it 'faux outrage' and point out how we only have ourselves to blame because we're not keeping every single receipt and checking them all off against our monthly paper statements but I find it hard to believe that in this day and age that is what so many of those posting above actually do.

I use my contactless card multiple times daily and check my online bank balance regularly with text alerts set up to tell me when it reaches certain thresholds... I don't carry a paper ledger round with me and write down all my purchases in it like i'm still living in the 70's or making every single purchase I make through cash payments only.

I don't expect the costs to be waived but I don't think it's wrong that i'm angry this could happen. If I give retailers permission to access and take money from my bank account then I expect it to be done with an amount of due diligence!
    Last edited by AndyBSG; 15-02-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 15th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    badmemory
    I can't believe Tescos are now saying they will refund overdraft charges. It would probably be cheaper to not put the charges through. Unbelievable!
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 15th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    One other thought, how the hell have Tesco gotten my name and address details from my contactless debit card purchase to enable them to write to me? Surely if I make a contactless card payment the vendor shouldn't be able to get my home address from that?

I think i'm actually more concerned about that than I am about the fact they've just taken over 100 quid almost three months after I bought the goods
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

7,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin