Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roy73
    • By roy73 13th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 4Thanks
    roy73
    Property Crowdfunding
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    Property Crowdfunding 13th Feb 18 at 11:45 AM
    Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I wanted to ask if anyone had used any property crowdfunding sites. There's a few out there.

Have you had any good or bad experiences with any of the companies out there.

Currently my shortlist of companies I'm looking at:

- Property Partner
    - UOWN
    - Property Moose
    - House crowd

Best,

Roy
Page 2
    • anandp
    • By anandp 28th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    anandp

How much would you generally invest per property and generally what sort of yield are you getting?
    Originally posted by takesyourchances
    My investments per property vary hugely. I reinvest all the rental income received each month, and put a regular amount in too. Yield average is probably about 4% (lowest is 2.09%, highest s 7%+), though this is taking into account void provisions and does not include valuation gains so is on the conservative side.
    Interested in property investment, web tech, social media, forex, equities. Also a proud father & entrepreneur of sorts.
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 28th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    My investments per property vary hugely. I reinvest all the rental income received each month, and put a regular amount in too. Yield average is probably about 4% (lowest is 2.09%, highest s 7%+), though this is taking into account void provisions and does not include valuation gains so is on the conservative side.
    Originally posted by anandp
    Thanks for the update on your holdings, I have just the 2 property invested in so far at 250 each and was interested to hear your experiences.

There is a bit of a mess going on with Collateral P2P so I have money in this, who knows of the outcome at the moment and going to think out some investment direction and if I cash out of some other loan P2P I might put some more into PP for the equity property shares. Will think out a direction with all of this. Thanks for your input will follow any updates with interest.
    • roy73
    • By roy73 15th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    roy73
    Hi guys,

An update on my investment progress so far.

I had invested in 3 property crowdfunding platforms, and I have to say that with varying levels of success I have come to a conclusion on which platform I will be investing more into in the future- UOWN.

Its been interesting and I have to say from the outset they all perform in a similar manner for the most part you can invest easily and watch your savings grow better than if you put them in most other places. I am sure that there are other places you can put your money, cryptos or the p2p loans come to mind, that might get you a better return, but for me I prefer investing in something more tangible and importantly understandable. Property is easy.

Anyway onto the results, my list of 3 platforms in ranking order.

1st UOWN
    2nd Property Partner
    3rd Property Moose

UOWN

This platform has provided me with the best return so far and is the simplest and easiest to use. I like their streamlined approach and the manner in which they keep me up to date. Furthermore they have a sound investment strategy investing in HMO student property. I like their easy exit property as well where they guarantee your exit from the property within 3 days addressing liquidity concerns.

Fees are low, and money is paid out monthly. I got in touch with the team there and I was impressed with their customer service. Good service and good returns.

Property Partner

A close second, has a bigger selection of properties and they are more established. However the returns for me haven't been as good as UOWN, but they are not far off.

A really easy to use site that works well and gets the job done. I had a few issues getting money in initially but managed to sort it out eventually.

I think that the investment strategy is by and large on the money (pun intended) but there are some properties that I personally had some questions over. It seemed to me on some properties they were pushing inflated prices and guaranteeing a rental return of 5% for 2 years, however as an investor I wonder what happens after 2 years will the property be able to generate a 5% return? based on my research its unlikely in some cases.

In many ways despite Property Partner being better than most other platforms I feel that their size has meant the quality of investments has diluted and their customer service is clearly aimed at only BIG investors.

Property moose

This platform is third and really some way off the other 2. I won't go into a lot of detail here but there a lot of concerns that people have voiced regarding it on other forums. Their property selection is dire, their platform doesn't work how I want most of the time and their fees for providing this poor service are some of the highest in the industry.

Hope you guys find this useful. I am looking to carry on with investing in UOWN and will update this thread with any progress I have.

Best,

Roy
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 15th Jun 18, 6:26 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    Hi Roy,

Just saw your post there, interesting your experiences using the 3 property crowdfunding platforms. I have around 3500 so far in property partner from I started it earlier this year and think the site works well and the rental dividends all paid on time etc. I don't really check my account much and let it do it's thing. I might add a few hundred to the new student property at the moment.

Propertymoose I did not really fancy, the properties a lot of them don't look great and PP seems much better all round to me over pm.

I looked at Uown at the time you said, I don't have an account etc, is it still only Leeds and are there many properties to invest across or how regular do they come up?

Also if any knows:

I was reading a blog www.marcoschwartz.com I see he invests in property partner etc and I see a European platform Housers, I looked at their site https://www.housers.com/en/ they seem to be Spainish / Portugal based. I know there is currency flux with Euro etc, it seems UK residents can register for an account.

Would anyone know anything more about Housers? With property partner the dividends can be used within your 2000 allowance, how would it work with a European property platform like Housers when the rental income / dividend is paid?

It would be interesting to know.

Also various American based blogs I have read property crowdfunding seems popular with these investors it would be good in time if we were able to reach other markets out of the UK, but I don't think it is possible for a UK resident to register with an American one, but seems possible with Housers Spain / Portugal and interested how that would work with payments. Property PartnerI think said before maybe in the future explanding beyond.

My property partner account I am just putting in 250 - 300 per property here and there not going in very heavy, it adds to my property interest and another investment which is hands off. .
    • justme111
    • By justme111 15th Jun 18, 7:39 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 2,954 Thanks
    justme111
    a question to people using these sites/ investments:
    do you actually have legal documents proving your ownership? are you sufficiently legally savvy to assess the paperwork yu have if you do ? What re course would you have if one of the sites stood paying/ goes into administration/ disappears?
    I am asking as per Collateral saga it is questionable how could one proove there was a contract in place at all?
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 15th Jun 18, 9:16 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    a question to people using these sites/ investments:
    do you actually have legal documents proving your ownership? are you sufficiently legally savvy to assess the paperwork yu have if you do ? What re course would you have if one of the sites stood paying/ goes into administration/ disappears?
    I am asking as per Collateral saga it is questionable how could one proove there was a contract in place at all?
    Originally posted by justme111

I am only with Property Partner, the last thing I need is another Collateral for sure and winding down my P2P loans on repayments etc.

With property partner All properties are owned by an SPV which can be viewed on Companies House. This blog link will explain how property partner works http://www.financialthing.com/property-partner-review/

I have 3500 in property partner, I will just add here and there, I have REIT's as well in my S&S ISA.

Hope that helps.
    • stressheadno2
    • By stressheadno2 4th Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stressheadno2
    Morning People,
    1.Does anyone know of a property crowdfunding sites that deals in holiday rental properties at home or abroad ?
    2. Do people think there would be a market for this as a better form of timeshare but with ownership of the properties ?
    Thanks in advance Paul.
    • djpix99
    • By djpix99 4th Sep 18, 10:04 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    djpix99
    I know Property Partner have one block of serviced accomodation, however there aren't any dedicated sites I'm aware of.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 7th Sep 18, 5:30 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Sorry for hijacking this slightly but have you considered crowdproperty? I'm looking at this

I'm considering this side of p2p from the pov of building up a passive income stream to feed my standard equity investments

I like the idea of buy to let from the pov of passive income but not so much the large lump sum in a single undiversified asset plus having to deal with issues so proeprty crowd funding seems a more diversified way of picking this up
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 7th Sep 18, 7:10 AM
    • 914 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    I have a small amount in UOWN. Its still a very young site and the secondary market isn't up and running yet so I'm not investing more with them (apart from reinvesting the income) until that is established.

Having said that I like them best of the various property p2p/crowdfunding sites (all the rest of my non standard S&S investment is in more traditional p2p). They are the newest part of an established family owned group of Leeds based property businesses, which include the ownership of a number of properties let out by their own student letting agency. This is where the initial properties for UOWN are sourced/bought from and explains why they are able to "buy them slowly" as they need to do until the rate of investment via UOWN grows.
    Originally posted by msallen
    The owners of the real estate get to cherry-pick which of their assets are bought by the investors?

That's insane scheme to invest in. The real estate owners would get to offload all the garbage in their portfolio onto naive investors who'd be left with rotten returns.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 7th Sep 18, 8:06 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    msallen
    The owners of the real estate get to cherry-pick which of their assets are bought by the investors?

That's insane scheme to invest in. The real estate owners would get to offload all the garbage in their portfolio onto naive investors who'd be left with rotten returns.
    Originally posted by FatherAbraham
    No. The owners get to choose which property to offer. I am free to accept/decline individual properties. I am perfectly happy with my XIRR of 9.6% over the last 14 months or so (excluding the sign up bonus I got, which would increase my XIRR to over 20% if included)

However I think that may be academic now, as it looks as though the model will change soon. They appear to be holding off from offering any more properties until all the current ones (except the very niche easy access one) are filled, and hints have been made that change is afoot. I suspect that dad/uncle (who own the established student property portfolio) have told their sons/nephews (who set up UOWN) that they don't want to offer any more properties via this "slow purchase" method. I may join you in being critical of them depending on what happens next.
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 10th Sep 18, 3:31 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    Sorry for hijacking this slightly but have you considered crowdproperty? I'm looking at this

I'm considering this side of p2p from the pov of building up a passive income stream to feed my standard equity investments

I like the idea of buy to let from the pov of passive income but not so much the large lump sum in a single undiversified asset plus having to deal with issues so proeprty crowd funding seems a more diversified way of picking this up
    Originally posted by Fatbritabroad

I've been using property partner and built up around 4k and the platform works well. Have you considered pp?

I've been investing also in REIT's but add here and there to property partner to steady build it up.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 10th Sep 18, 3:57 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Seems easier and safer to buy property shares listed on the London Stock Exchange. They can also be held in ISA's and SIPPs so no tax worries. There are ones specifically targeted at private housing such as Grainger, Student Accomodation such as Empiric Student Property, Care homes such as Target Healthcare, and regeneration such as U and I.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 11th Sep 18, 6:01 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Seems easier and safer to buy property shares listed on the London Stock Exchange. They can also be held in ISA's and SIPPs so no tax worries. There are ones specifically targeted at private housing such as Grainger, Student Accomodation such as Empiric Student Property, Care homes such as Target Healthcare, and regeneration such as U and I.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    As these are shares are they going to be volatile or are property shares more stable? It'd be nice to have a bit of less volatile investments than my shares for easier access. I do fully recognise the platform risk with p2p and have about 15k spread across three platforms at present. Ablrate which is high risk but 13% return. Diversified now less than the interest I've made across all borrowers (not loans but borrowers as several are linked) and lending works and assetz capital 30 day account for easier access and lower risk so I feel comfortable with this. Shares I have about 60k in isas now
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 11th Sep 18, 10:38 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Property shares are more stable due to the asset backing however they can turn down but those risks are also present with P2P as you will get more defaults / bad debt in the event of a property downturn.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 11th Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Albermarle
    Many years ago I took out a S&S Isa for a property investment trust . Overall it has done very well but it seems to pretty much follow the general stock market trend , although after the crash of 2008 , it went down even more quickly. Luckily I did not panic and sell out.

However I keep property investment at a relatively low % as I am already heavily invested in it via my own home .
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 11th Sep 18, 7:43 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    I have 3 property investment trust at the moment, f&c commercial property trust, standard life investment property income and tritax bigbox IT. I re-invest the dividends and add fresh money in too.

With the above poster saying about his property IT following the trends of the stock market which I am aware of, would platforms like property partner act a bit different to the property IT's?

I have been adding to my IT's over the last few months, I also have around 4k in property partner, I quite like the platform set up and dividends have been paid on time each month. While the investments are in SVP and ring fenced, does anyone have any thoughts on the stability of property partner?

(It certainly is not a P2P Collateral gong show set up which I am in but thoughts more on the future of property partner more)

The new CEO and team seem to be working well at property partner, while adding to my IT's I would like to increase property partner a bit more. Reading some financial blogs, the real estate crowd funding seems to be popular in the US on some of the US based bloggers sites more so than on these shores, also I see the yield is higher in the US. I like the concept of it and am thinking to increase my investment slowly towards 10K along side my others.

I see it as a way of getting BTL exposure, without the hassles of being a landlord with a single property, but will be adding to my other S&S investments and IT's etc this would be an addiional string.

I have found it interesting how some of the US FIRE bloggers are using property crowdfunding States side.
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 20th Sep 18, 11:00 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    Anyone know anything on Yielders?

I am with property partner and when looking into somethings online I came across Yielders www.yielders.co.uk
    • dqnet
    • By dqnet 3rd Oct 18, 10:34 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    dqnet
    Anyone know anything on Yielders?

I am with property partner and when looking into somethings online I came across Yielders www.yielders.co.uk
    Originally posted by takesyourchances

Funny actually, I was having a look here to see if anyone had any experience with this site too?
    Last edited by dqnet; 03-10-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 6th Oct 18, 6:50 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Funny actually, I was having a look here to see if anyone had any experience with this site too?
    Originally posted by dqnet
    Looks interesting. Been going two years I kind of like a platform to have more of a track record before I invest
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,152Posts Today

8,569Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Wow early days, only a couple of thousand of votes in, but so far the majority of both remainers and leavers on thi? https://t.co/qUMXXbeLOf

• RT @ej_mac: @MartinSLewis oh dear, how on earth do people come to such conclusions..... I voted leave, I read all Martins points and used t?

• Yay we have a poll bingo winner Everyone cross out your "hidden agenda/bias" squares on your cards https://t.co/LgPSfqzSB0

• Follow Martin